Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The PPE issue - WTF?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Discounting all the media self-promotion that has been going on (Panorama - Exclusive!!....Channel 4 Special Report!!...blah blah) it seems obvious that the NHS supply chain / Public Health England etc have shockingly fumbled the ball on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

Watching images of medical personnel - who are, get this, TWELVE times more likely to acquire this bastard bug - putting on the same wispy aprons background artistes wear to protect precious wardrobe costumes in the lunch queue is depressing.

I received this recently:

Making Gowns for NHS staff organized by Bella Gonshorovitz

Explanatory article here

The Fashion Designer Making 1,000 Gowns a Week to Help the NHS During the Covid-19 Crisis

Pardon my patois - but Why the FECK are great-hearted tailors and cutters having to make up splash proof gowns for hospitals ?

And who has got away for YEARS with charging £30 a pop for a single-use throw away garment ? :scratch:

Revealed: PPE stockpile was out-of-date when coronavirus hit UK

Half a billion pounds was spent on hundreds of millions of items to protect health workers in the case of an outbreak.

The documents obtained by Channel 4 News show the make-up of the stockpile on 30 January 2020 – the day the World Health Organisation declared the outbreak of novel coronavirus a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

In all, it contained 48,998 pallets, and more than half a billion items.

The majority of the stock was held at a newly-built 373,000 square foot climate-controlled distribution centre in Merseyside, designed to house England’s pandemic supplies with products also held for use by other parts of the United Kingdom.

Why are those who have mismanaged the UK strategic stockpile of 28 million N5 facemasks being reduced to issuing out-of-life items , some of which have sat on shelves since 2012?

( and come to that, excuse my ignorance, but how does a SPES packed facemask deteriorate in storage anyway?)

Something has gone very wrong within the creaking groaning infrastructure management of the National Health Service. (And it cannot be ' All the Tories' fault' )

And some cheesy bastard has been laughing all the way to his Swiss bank account on the NHS contracts.

As a weary former central govt type myself, I know the overdue scorching indictment for malpractice and incompetence will be dribbled carefully into the long grass.

Said grass will consist of an underfunded Public Enquiry, entrusted to a suitably 'safe pair of hands'.

The enquiry motto will be ' We Are Where We Are'............... :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

</offrant->

Last edited:
Partly, a big part, due to a misguided dependence on "Just in Time Delivery".

Somebody worked out that it looks cheaper on paper to just order it directly from the manufacturer when you need it. "we'll just order more when we need it".

Shame that everyone else int he world had the same plan and that the only country making it in sufficient quantities was the source of the problem in the first place.

Stock rotation would have helped but i expect that some bright spark worked out the costs involved in rotating stock through the central distribution and storage centre and decided it was cheaper and better to deliver directly to hospitals. Thus leaving 50k pallets to go out of date because it was too expensive to move it.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I thought that the NHS told us yesterday that nearly all of the consignment from Turkey failed safety and quality checks

Archie
Some brewery in Scotland publicised that they were making hand gel that they then donated to the NHS. Apparently all of their stuff was rejected also, as it didn't come up to safety standards.

I wonder how many Procurement Managers in the NHS will be fired/disciplined after all this dies down, due to the PPE issues? I'm guessing between none and zero, as it's easier for lazy journalists to blame the politicians.

Some brewery in Scotland publicised that they were making hand gel that they then donated to the NHS. Apparently all of their stuff was rejected also, as it didn't come up to safety standards.

I wonder how many Procurement Managers in the NHS will be fired/disciplined after all this dies down, due to the PPE issues? I'm guessing between none and zero, as it's easier for lazy journalists to blame the politicians.

Depends if their job spec said maintain supplies/sources of PPE suitable for a 5000% increase in use or not.

We, as a nation, have prioritised "just in time" for a very long time. Pre-WW2 there was an institutional reluctance to invest in things like bomb shelters, and that continued "after the war" when it came to infrastructure requirements to increase survivability for a Cold War gone Hot. The Major Government introduced Resource Based Accounting in c'96 that actively discourages government institutions from holding large stocks of anything - PPE, snow clearing vehicles, buildings, whatever.

The NHS, MoD, Local Government simply don't have the budget to cope with the capital cost of buying all this stuff, then paying every year for the privilege of continuing to hold it.

It will be fascinating to see if the new normal will see a return to this, or if resilience comes to the fore. If the latter, it will be the largest change in government mindset we will have ever seen.

Slime

LE
Discounting all the media self-promotion that has been going on (Panorama - Exclusive!!....Channel 4 Special Report!!...blah blah) it seems obvious that the NHS supply chain / Public Health England etc have shockingly fumbled the ball on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

Watching images of medical personnel - who are, get this, TWELVE times more likely to acquire this bastard bug - putting on the same wispy aprons background artistes wear to protect precious wardrobe costumes in the lunch queue is depressing.

I received this recently:

Making Gowns for NHS staff organized by Bella Gonshorovitz

Explanatory article here

The Fashion Designer Making 1,000 Gowns a Week to Help the NHS During the Covid-19 Crisis

Pardon my patois - but Why the FECK are great-hearted tailors and cutters having to make up splash proof gowns for hospitals ?

And who has got away for YEARS with charging £30 a pop for a single-use throw away garment ? :scratch:

Revealed: PPE stockpile was out-of-date when coronavirus hit UK

Half a billion pounds was spent on hundreds of millions of items to protect health workers in the case of an outbreak.

The documents obtained by Channel 4 News show the make-up of the stockpile on 30 January 2020 – the day the World Health Organisation declared the outbreak of novel coronavirus a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

In all, it contained 48,998 pallets, and more than half a billion items.

The majority of the stock was held at a newly-built 373,000 square foot climate-controlled distribution centre in Merseyside, designed to house England’s pandemic supplies with products also held for use by other parts of the United Kingdom.

Why are those who have mismanaged the UK strategic stockpile of 28 million N5 facemasks being reduced to issuing out-of-life items , some of which have sat on shelves since 2012?

( and come to that, excuse my ignorance, but how does a SPES packed facemask deteriorate in storage anyway?)

Something has gone very wrong within the creaking groaning infrastructure management of the National Health Service. (And it cannot be ' All the Tories' fault' )

And some cheesy bastard has been laughing all the way to his Swiss bank account on the NHS contracts.

As a weary former central govt type myself, I know the overdue scorching indictment for malpractice and incompetence will be dribbled carefully into the long grass.

Said grass will consist of an underfunded Public Enquiry, entrusted to a suitably 'safe pair of hands'.

The enquiry motto will be ' We Are Where We Are'............... :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

</offrant->

Why concentrate on the NHS?

They are the smaller segment of those who didn’t prepare properly, and that is despite the fact they have 1.5 million employees.

The 5500 private care providers who employ 2 million people also failed to prepare. This means that 5,500 other businesses also failed to prepare.......
and are now being bailed out by the government while simultaneously blaming the government in an effort to hide their own errors.

If even the majority of those 5,500 private providers (That’s just the amount of providers, the amount of individual care homes and care home managers is far far higher) had been prepared the NhS may currently be supplying 1 million fewer workers with PPE and would not be in the situation they are in.

It’s somewhat bizarre that the media don’t want to acknowledge that the NHS is now not only needing to supply perhaps 20 times as much PPE per day to some of its employees, but is also supplying workers in the private sector who number higher than the entire NHS, and have a higher proportion of workers in direct contact with patients/residents than the NHS have.

In short, the NHS has 1.5 million employees, and IS currently supplying those employees, but is being critiqued for struggling to also supply 2 million other workers in private companies, companies who were never supplied by the NHS and are required by law to buy and provide their own PPE for their workers.............and those companies failed to do so.

The NHS is more to blame than the government; they are in charge of procurement. But seeing as the NHS is now the new 'ero of the country, no criticism can be aimed at it. The NHS is a monolithic, management heavy fustercluck, which amazingly, will come out of this debacle with its reputation enhanced.

how does a SPES packed facemask deteriorate in storage anyway?)
I wondered the same when I found a 6-year expired FFP3 mask a month ago. After a bit of thought, I decided that the only parts that would deteriorate were the elastic straps - easily fixed with a bit of knicker elastic and a couple of staples.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
In short, the NHS has 1.5 million employees, and IS currently supplying those employees, but is being critiqued for struggling to also supply 2 million other workers in private companies, companies who were never supplied by the NHS and are required by law to buy and provide their own PPE for their workers.............and those companies failed to do so.
And it's all the Govt's fault!

The Fashion Designer Making 1,000 Gowns a Week to Help the NHS During the Covid-19 Crisis.

Fashion designers and tailors? FFS - improvise, adapt, overcome. Bin bags. Cut hole for swede and one each for arms. Done. No fee. I'm here all week. I've got a shit-load of charity sacks under the sink. They make spiffing bibs when you slice the bottoms.

It's all Boris's doing apparently according to certain, cerebrally challenged types.
To be fair, I think Maggie should take some of the blame.

Thankfully, as a community first responder, I have plenty of up to date PPE to allow me to respond safely. ;)