The Power of Fill Your Boots; Real or imagined?

Damn right. You can’t win a war in shorts.

A freshly pressed set of MTP will strike fearninto the very soul of the enemy.
Or officers who had travelled no further than Costa writing into Soldier magazine complaining that "Some of the soldiers here have beards".

Total lizards

Or officers who had travelled no further than Costa writing into Soldier magazine complaining that "Some of the soldiers here have beards".

Total lizards
I recently heard a Lt Col brief an audience that standards were down and leadership was lost in the FOBs and PBs. Officers were on first name terms with the troops.

We as soliders are entitled to hot water a roof over our heads medical attention food and the clothing on our backs. The fact they said that the “rent” does not cover the cost of hot water is completely absurd.
Who said to you that your 'rent' didn't cover hot water?

Slightly off-topic but - anyone here read this:

Suicide note from Deepcut Army private revealed | Daily Mail Online

Does it not strike anyone serving that the recruit had slightly unrealistic expectations of how certain things would be considered?

'I just wanted a career in the Army. I know it's my fault for things I've done wrong. Only if I got a week's leave when I applied for it things could have been different. I could have calmed down instead of building problems up and then getting drunk and bursting into flames.
'I'm leaving my Spurs shirt to Private Williams. I think it needs washing. It's just got marks of polish on. By the way, can you thank Sgt Russell, Sgt Stevens and yourself and Sgt Pike for helping me out when I was in trouble. I didn't mean to say you were an arsehole, it just came out without me thinking about it. Benton.'
I'm not arguing any perspective of this, I didn't experience anything like situations cited here in the RN whilst shore-based. Maybe HMS Nelson - where I booked myself in a transit mess, after I'd been messed on HMS Bristol for accom during an NBCD course and it was full of screaming sea cadets. I was advised by the block office killick o turn my matress over as the window in my cabin didn't close properly and pigeons get in (it was covered in pigeon crap). The 8 man mess my cabin was attached to was also on "standing rounds in Nos 1's" on account of launching a TV from the window six floors up the night before.

My point is, reading the suicide note details of that poor bugger strikes me as - either someone slipped through the recruitment net who really ought to have been pinged and binned prior to joining or, the Army is miss-selling itself.

I tend to agree with @stacker1 regarding the fucking people about for the sake of it stuff as being 'out dated' but - every now and again...you had to take a bite out of a shit sandwich. Like I said, never saw much described here in the RN. I'm one of those dinosaurs who left ten years ago when social media was not so prolific maybe??

Last edited:
Mate, even before he was careless enough to leave them behind in Helmand, they weren't as sexy as mine. He was jealous because mine were like Nijinsky the dancers and his were like the racehorses.

Shire Horse's or Clydesdale more like

For example, is he ensuring that he only has troops without J1 issues, not hard to do if you’re in with the SSM. This would place an additional Burden on on the other Tp SSgts and potentially make their troops a shitter place to be.
It's people like you who make me glad I'm out of the R SIGNALS and Army as a whole. I work with all three services in my current day job and the Army and R SIGNALS are the biggest set of moaners about everything i.e. we need more resource to do this, and from listening to you it's pretty obvious where it comes from their hierarchy and middle management. With regards to what you have posted above what a load of tosh, if your're in with the SSM you get better soldiers in your troop! Then that is questioning the integrity of the SSM. You need to engage your brain before your fingers.

Mate, even before he was careless enough to leave them behind in Helmand, they weren't as sexy as mine. He was jealous because mine were like Nijinsky the dancers and his were like the racehorses.
All 4 of them.

It's people like you who make me glad I'm out of the R SIGNALS and Army as a whole. I work with all three services in my current day job and the Army and R SIGNALS are the biggest set of moaners about everything i.e. we need more resource to do this, and from listening to you it's pretty obvious where it comes from their hierarchy and middle management. With regards to what you have posted above what a load of tosh, if your're in with the SSM you get better soldiers in your troop! Then that is questioning the integrity of the SSM. You need to engage your brain before your fingers.
Heaven forbid questioning anyones integrity...

What is this integrity you talk about