The Power of Fill Your Boots; Real or imagined?

Additionally

Work them hard when preparing for Ops/exercise and the build up. Accepting that during routine in Barracks time you don’t have to keep them hanging around on Friday afternoons doing menial sh*t and you can have late starts on a Monday. Nights out of bed more than make up for time off in camp, if people feel the need to justify it.

Ensure sports afternoons and PT in work time are enshrined into routine (and ensure all get to take part in quality events, not just gladiators)

Don’t treat Advisory visits (ECI/LSI in old money) as if they are Royal visits. Make mandatory inspections and checks as unintrusive as possible and add common sense.

Ensure contractor compliance at every chance within your control.

Communicate with soldiers, advertise opportunities by giving them access to DINs BIBs ABNs etc, not everyone has any sort of regular access to DII.

More importantly release them, even if it means a certain amount of pain for everyone else. What would you do if the broke both legs and where off sick. You would cope with them not being there.

Come down F*cking hard on miscreants but don’t punish everyone, don’t assume guilt before the fact. Give junior commanders their heads and let them organise stuff and see it through.

Cut through petty bureaucracy, interpret JSPs fo4 the good of the troops, ensure they get everything they are entitled to and don't make them feel like criminals for doing so.

A few things off my top of my head that cost the square root of f*ck all :)
Excellent. This is exactly what I am talking about.

Where am I over generalising? I've worked in the ME for the past ten years for a company who work hand in hand with the MOD.

I get to read things like the odd Comments Book and occasionally sit in on level 3/4 meetings, I know exactly what the troops from Brigadier down are saying with regards to Hard and Soft Services, which I daresay is more than you.

I refer you to my previous post.
"The lads and lasses shouldn't have to go on Op tours in order to get fed properly and have a couple of showers each day." This just isn't how it is, is it? Though I have to admit, the showers and scran on TORAL last week were really rather good.

By doing what? Bear in mind that we're broke, there's a carrier to pay for and some F35s.
By making sure they are told that they are looked after and appreciated. A simple thank you is not only free, but goes a very long way.

It's not about money.

It's fully understandable why heating and water go down without proper spend in infrastructure but it’s kicking people in the teeth to tell them to suck it up because it’s free or cheap

There’s a difference between making sure they don’t pay and telling them to suck it up because they don’t pay
the cost of accommodation and its standard is part of the 'offer'. If it costs too much then it could prompt a wage rise. If it's s*t it may affect retention and by extension recruitment.

Not trying to be flippant, but isn't the recruiting and training machine already in place? I know it doesn't work but it is in place and funded.
it is indeed. But a replacement costs money. Reduce the need to recruit and train replacements and you get more money for F-35s. Ditto if you can retain them in the reserve.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d always question a situation where an entire organisation is doing it wrong but one tiny sub department is doing it right (however ISS would be a good example of that). “A ship of right in a sea of wrong”.
download (2).jpeg

"The lads and lasses shouldn't have to go on Op tours in order to get fed properly and have a couple of showers each day." This just isn't how it is, is it? Though I have to admit, the showers and scran on TORAL last week were really rather good.
Then it appears that we are/were, in the same postcode.

"The lads and lasses shouldn't have to go on Op tours in order to get fed properly and have a couple of showers each day." This just isn't how it is, is it?
Thats exactly how it was on Herrick 6, people were volunteering to stay for a second tour, part of the reason was there were more/better facilities in KAF than there were in Abingdon.

Thats exactly how it was on Herrick 6, people were volunteering to stay for a second tour, part of the reason was there were more/better facilities in KAF than there were in Abingdon.
Even tasty operational tours throw up the sort of bellends who are obsessed with imposing regimental bullshit on lads who have a rare opportunity swap the sharp end for a bit of fresh scoff at Bastion/KAF.

Even tasty operational tours throw up the sort of bellends who are obsessed with imposing regimental bullshit on lads who have a rare opportunity swap the sharp end for a bit of fresh scoff at Bastion/KAF.
Doing a bit of bayonet practise at 0630 was great morale builder in KAF.

Bayonet training? But youre............RLC.
We did more infantry training prior to the tour than the SAS. Fuck all stores related stuff though.

And the GSM(plural) obsessions with ironing in Bastion/KAF. That was a nice touch.
It was the fact the trogs in non air conditioned vehicles had to wear shirts and trousers and opposed to shorts and T shirts while driving around KAF that I thought raised spirits.

It was the fact the trogs in non air conditioned vehicles had to wear shirts and trousers and opposed to shorts and T shirts while driving around KAF that I thought raised spirits.
Damn right. You can’t win a war in shorts.

A freshly pressed set of MTP will strike fearninto the very soul of the enemy.