The Power of Fill Your Boots; Real or imagined?

Nobody is that shit, or that much of a bellend and has responsibility for troops.
He's Royal Signals isn't he? There's plenty of bell-ends in my former Corps.

We had one one-pip-wonder* who kept getting filled in by the lads as he couldn't stop himself from sniffing around their wives. Followed by our Troop OC who was terrified of the SSM, I don't mean cautious around him - literally terrified.

*- I bumped into him last year (he's a Major now....), and made a point of asking him if he had his own wife yet or was he still trying it on around the patch......

I think the question would be do you manage your troop for their benefit or do your manage your troop for the benefit of the unit as a whole? It isn’t hard to ring fence your troop from shit jobs, meaning other troops get them at a higher frequency. For example, I rarely see a QMs dept messed about as they have a grumpy LE for top cover.
My Troop normally get a higher than average share of the jobs, mainly because we manage to get them done.
My Troop also have a higher than average amounts of promotions for junior ranks, its unusual if we done get number 1 for Cpl downwards.
Occasionally i go to the OC and tell him, that my Troop arent there to do work because the other Troops are incompetent, an example of this is rifles are now split between Troops (rather than the Sqn) when it comes to cleaning. The reasoning was, I made time for my Troop to clean them at the start of the month, where as the other two Troops fucked around until the last week and then wanted everyone to help. Minor bit of man management, not exactly something people need to go to school to learn is it?

OK, so the CO now spends his time trying to defend a high sign off rate, what do you think that will result in, because it won’t be a better working environment. Perhaps a better way would be a 360 reporting process, but then how do you resolve the cut throat actions of the Sqn Comds and so on.
What are they doing now about the high sign off rate?

When there wasn’t a retention issue, I let them go (I think I’ve had five sign off on me). All are doing well and I honestly believe that I will be employed by one of them in the next 5 years. Now, I smash anyone that works for me relentlessly, until they say I’ve given them too much work. I couple that with empowering them to make their own decisions, as long as they can justify them. For that they get a good report along with behind the scenes work. My family comes first, so does theirs unless there’s something of genuine importance on.
That didnt exactly answer my question. I'd hazard a guess and say some officers are making progress but quite a few are shitcunts who think that nothing should happen to them even if they are poor leaders.

**** me, I still didn't answer it. The OCs are probably shitting themselves about what the CO is going to say, and being sacked themselves. Can't solve this with threats.
Thats strange, because threats of non employment for shit performance seem to work in other sectors.
Might as well let people do what the fuck they like.

Thats strange, because threats of non employment for shit performance seem to work in other sectors.
Might as well let people do what the **** they like.
You are no doubt aware that there is a recruiting and retention issue across the services. That's an awful lot of people that would/could lose there jobs to a general trend.

You are no doubt aware that there is a recruiting and retention issue across the services. That's an awful lot of people that would/could lose there jobs to a general trend.
Do you not think that recruiting/retention problems could be because some bellends are in charge?

it also plays a part further down the food chain when the bellends are so desperate to keep the numbers up, that they keep absolute dickheads in (Welfare/admin/discipline cases) then wonder why the good lads are signing off?

OK, as it is guidance then the chest
poking should have taken place at a much lower level, which is completely different from chest poking a two or three star because the drinking at work rules have tightened up.
You are on a wind up or are spectacularly stupid.

A) The "rules" weren't tightened up. Policy (AGAI 64) is still dated 2006. CLF gave "guidance". Go buy a fucking dictionary.

B) It isn't "drinking at work", it's an infringement on adults free time. Nobody has drank at work since the days of BAOR, barring alcoholic jakeys (once again AGAI 64 refers).

C) If your attitude towards your Soldiers free time is like this, no wonder FYB exists. Cut the plugs off anyone's kettle recently?

I struggle to see how banning honesty bars from messes has “tightened up the rules”. The only thing it has done in a mess close to me has stopped troops on reverse hours being able to sit and have a sociable beer together after work before going to bed.

Fantastic for unit cohesion! but I suppose those in army HQ who work within a ‘standard’ daytime cycle aren’t affected so don’t really care :)

I struggle to see how banning honesty bars from messes has “tightened up the rules”. The only thing it has done in a mess close to me has stopped troops on reverse hours being able to sit and have a sociable beer together after work before going to bed.

Fantastic for unit cohesion! but I suppose those in army HQ who work within a ‘standard’ daytime cycle aren’t affected so don’t really care :)
Exactly. I'm at a location that provides 24h Avn cover. Those on call or duty didn't drink before, but now nobody has the option to get together during their own off duty or off crew time.

Unless they break the "Guidance" by getting a crate in and trashing the block instead of having the Canteen Cowboy keep an eye on them in the Regt bar like the bad old days.

Do you not think that recruiting/retention problems could be because some bellends are in charge?

it also plays a part further down the food chain when the bellends are so desperate to keep the numbers up, that they keep absolute ********* in (Welfare/admin/discipline cases) then wonder why the good lads are signing off?
I wish I could 'like' this twice.

Precisely. Years of letting the hangers-on erode the Army along with wrongly promoting people who threatened to sign off. It's about time the Army reminded NCO's, particularly of the senior variety that their job is to work for their men & women. The key to retention is to fix all the little things... Valuing and appreciating the contribution of even the most junior member would be a good start... I could go on.

By doing what? Bear in mind that we're broke, there's a carrier to pay for and some F35s.
How much does it cost to simply not treat the lads like utter twats? Don't f*ck them about without reason, don't treat them like four year olds, don't act as though allowing a toastie maker in the block is going to end up with the entire regiment burning to death in their beds.

How much does it cost to simply not treat the lads like utter twats? Don't f*ck them about without reason, don't treat them like four year olds, don't act as though allowing a toastie maker in the block is going to end up with the entire regiment burning to death in their beds.
Additionally

Work them hard when preparing for Ops/exercise and the build up. Accepting that during routine in Barracks time you don’t have to keep them hanging around on Friday afternoons doing menial sh*t and you can have late starts on a Monday. Nights out of bed more than make up for time off in camp, if people feel the need to justify it.

Ensure sports afternoons and PT in work time are enshrined into routine (and ensure all get to take part in quality events, not just gladiators)

Don’t treat Advisory visits (ECI/LSI in old money) as if they are Royal visits. Make mandatory inspections and checks as unintrusive as possible and add common sense.

Ensure contractor compliance at every chance within your control.

Communicate with soldiers, advertise opportunities by giving them access to DINs BIBs ABNs etc, not everyone has any sort of regular access to DII.

More importantly release them, even if it means a certain amount of pain for everyone else. What would you do if the broke both legs and where off sick. You would cope with them not being there.

Come down F*cking hard on miscreants but don’t punish everyone, don’t assume guilt before the fact. Give junior commanders their heads and let them organise stuff and see it through.

Cut through petty bureaucracy, interpret JSPs fo4 the good of the troops, ensure they get everything they are entitled to and don't make them feel like criminals for doing so.

A few things off my top of my head that cost the square root of f*ck all :)

Additionally

Work them hard when preparing for Ops/exercise and the build up. Accepting that during routine in Barracks time you don’t have to keep them hanging around on Friday afternoons doing menial sh*t and you can have late starts on a Monday. Nights out of bed more than make up for time off in camp, if people feel the need to justify it.

Ensure sports afternoons and PT in work time are enshrined into routine (and ensure all get to take part in quality events, not just gladiators)

Don’t treat Advisory visits (ECI/LSI in old money) as if they are Royal visits. Make mandatory inspections and checks as unintrusive as possible and add common sense.

Ensure contractor compliance at every chance within your control.

Communicate with soldiers, advertise opportunities by giving them access to DINs BIBs ABNs etc, not everyone has any sort of regular access to DII.

More importantly release them, even if it means a certain amount of pain for everyone else. What would you do if the broke both legs and where off sick. You would cope with them not being there.

Come down F*cking hard on miscreants but don’t punish everyone, don’t assume guilt before the fact. Give junior commanders their heads and let them organise stuff and see it through.

Cut through petty bureaucracy, interpret JSPs fo4 the good of the troops, ensure they get everything they are entitled to and don't make them feel like criminals for doing so.

A few things off my top of my head that cost the square root of f*ck all :)
And before anyone else pipes in. I know it’s all f*cking obvious, but not so obvious that the vast majority of so called leaders do any/all/most of it :)