The Power of Fill Your Boots; Real or imagined?

As for the troops deployed to those places you mention, , how many of them were actually ever in contact?...how many of them even saw or heard a bang or two?.... but i'm not slagging them as they did what they had to do, and dealt with what was in front them ...but 5 times as many of them had a time no worse than a long fecking Ex, so you need to stop trying the blag it.
Was anywhere in Northern Ireland ever mortared so often they mounted fucking Phalanx around the place?

I'd have loved half the kit from Northern Ireland in Iraq. It would have been nice to have had Snatch and Saxon rather than driving down IED Alley in Basra in a stripped down Wolf 110.

Was anywhere in Northern Ireland ever mortared so often they mounted ******* Phalanx around the place?

I'd have loved half kit from Northern Ireland in Iraq. It would have been nice to have had Snatch and Saxon rather than driving down IED Alley in Basra in a stripped down Wolf 110.
YOU HAVE NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD.

YOU HAVE NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD.
There's nothing more fun that having the discussion on whether you all drive right up each other's arses so you could stay in the ECM bubble provided by the single ECM set that could be spared per packet or whether to spread out so that at least two vehicles weren't covered by the ECM but at least some of us would survive if the bomb wasn't remote controlled.

We had it so good I'm amazed they paid us.

You mean patrols in snatch landrovers and other equipment not up to the job? No that never happened on Telic or Herrick.

But sure, spin some boring dits about NI and tell blokes who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan how easy they have it.
Getting shot at is sh*te whether it was 30 years ago in NI or 10 years ago in Afghanistan.

I didn’t suggest it was a great perk. I listed it as part of what is, in comparison with any other job most recruits would get, a generous package.

Like everything, it depends on ones perspective. There are plenty of people out in cubby street earning similar to a private who spend nearing a grand a year on work clothes. Some even have to buy their corporate uniforms.

Soldiers are not ill treated by the Army at the corporate level (by VSOs and SOs, most of whom have no influence at RD. Quite the opposite. If they are ill treated it is by their immediate leadership at RD.
Fuck me, if ever there was an example of someone out of touch with the military its you.

Potential recruits are likely (at their age) to work at the bottom level in McDonalds, Tescos, Costa, etc, all of which give some sort of free clothing, coooorrrrrrrr what a generous package. Most of what you listed as a generous package is horseshit, you seem the type to point to brand new SLA and pretend its standard. It isnt for a lot of soldiers and even when it is, its built as cheaply as possible.

People spend money on clothing that (within reason) they can use in their own time? Any chance the army can offer that to squaddies? See how many turn up in jeans and a T shirt and how many opt for the free uniform.

The VSOs get told quite frequently how shit things are, how many times do the stupid cunts need to told in the Soldier magazine their blokes are being stolen from, by their CoC before they come back with something other than "Take it up with your COC"?

How often do officers get the sack for acting like a cunt? Very, very rarely that's how often.
These arseholes demand respect and the genuine perks of rank but want to rod off the blame to other people. If there's a photo op to be had with a recruit who is ablack, female, muslim, lesbian in a wheelchair they soon make time. Ask the bellthronks to sort out the most minor of problems and the pricks have something better to do.

I am sure they will be quite pleased that at the corporate level they are not been mistreated, whilst they rewire their personal property that has been vandalised and spend the day getting dicked around because you cannot go treating adults like adults.
I think you are missing my point; the problem lies at RD not at the corporate level.

I think you are missing my point; the problem lies at RD not at the corporate level.
The corporate level that didn't have the bollocks to enforce dress regs when various units chinned off instructions on how to wear the new uniforms? What are they going to do for the lads who have to suffer under CofCs who think destroying personal property is acceptable?

If a company loses millions of pounds every year, do the shareholders just accept the board's excuse that its all the fault of lower management?

Was anywhere in Northern Ireland ever mortared so often they mounted ******* Phalanx around the place?

I'd have loved half the kit from Northern Ireland in Iraq. It would have been nice to have had Snatch and Saxon rather than driving down IED Alley in Basra in a stripped down Wolf 110.
To be fair that probably wasn't the best clip to post, with lads 'hootin and a 'hollerin in the background.

I don't ever recall ever finding the streets of Belfast remotely funny.*

*That was '79 and '80. I love the place now though, it's a wonderful City.

The corporate level is the level that accepts protection for their pensions while forcing younger and more junior officers and soldiers onto an inferior package, decided there was no money left for sla as it had already been spent, signed everyone up to payd in a form no-one asked for and had all non contractor provided sources of food shut down on camp in Germany, etc etc....

There is plenty of blame to go around.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
To be fair that probably wasn't the best clip to post, with lads 'hootin and a 'hollerin in the background.

My war was bigger than your war......

I distinctly remember laughing when we witnessed our first RPG spiralling past us in a narrow high walled alley in Museh Qala, a fairly common reaction to an exceptional circumstance. Poor comparison.

For those who frequent fill your boots, it was deleted today by facebook for some reason (there is a vid from the guy that runs it stating what's happened).

Bottom line is it is now called fill your boots UK . It's easy enough to find if you want to.
Now that ones gone as well, they last about as long as the average UKIP leader.........

The my war, your war p*ssing match never shows any of us in a good light to be honest, neither does the ‘in my day’ argument. It really is all very Monty Python.

Times and expectations are just different and each generation find it difficult to accept that the previous aren’t just old crusty dinosaurs and the post a bunch of namby pamby soft sh*ts

It’s simply the circle of life :)

The my war, your war p*ssing match never shows any of us in a good light to be honest, neither does the ‘in my day’ argument. It really is all very Monty Python.

Times and expectations are just different and each generation find it difficult to accept that the previous aren’t just old crusty dinosaurs and the post a bunch of namby pamby soft sh*ts

It’s simply the circle of life :)
Tell that to a retired centurion who spent 20 years marching 25 miles a day carrying 20kg, plus shield and sword, in sandals followed by a few hours of building fortifications ceaselessly

Times and expectations change

Tell that to a retired centurion who spent 20 years marching 25 miles a day carrying 20kg, plus shield and sword, in sandals followed by a few hours of building fortifications ceaselessly

Times and expectations change
I am sure you have a point... :)

The corporate level is the level that accepts protection for their pensions while forcing younger and more junior officers and soldiers onto an inferior package, decided there was no money left for sla as it had already been spent, signed everyone up to payd in a form no-one asked for and had all non contractor provided sources of food shut down on camp in Germany, etc etc....

There is plenty of blame to go around.
There’s a slight lack of fact in your post, care to reference any of your comments?