The Power of Fill Your Boots; Real or imagined?

Not denying that .......still plenty of out of work and/or un impressed civvies working in shite jobs too.

Sometimes, the difference with the 'new mob' and civvies is just an attitude/expectation thing.....

Like they believe their own BS
The difference is, people dont have to put up with it anymore, 30 years you could treat people like shit because there wasn't much of an alternative (or people didnt know about many alternative). Now they will just fuck off.
Mainly due to bellthronks thinking "free clothing" is something special.

The difference is, people dont have to put up with it anymore, 30 years you could treat people like shit because there wasn't much of an alternative (or people didnt know about many alternative). Now they will just **** off.
Mainly due to bellthronks thinking "free clothing" is something special.
I thought that stores were for storing?.... Toms still buy their own kit and maybe people did put up with it all, 30 years back because they were simply made of tougher stuff and laughed it off or coped with the gritty, BS, 'let's be fecked about' times a bit better?

I thought that stores were for storing?.... Toms still buy their own kit and maybe people did put up with it all, 30 years back because they were simply made of tougher stuff and laughed it off or coped with the gritty, BS, 'let's be fecked about' times a bit better?
They put up with it, because there wasn't much option, someone put up some old resettlement advice on ARRSE that officers were to give soldiers, its consisted of getting jobs like a petrol pump attendant and other such awesome jobs. Why the fuck would people 30 years ago want to be treated like a cunt if they didn't need to? Just to appear to be made of tougher stuff?

Stores are for ebay, by the way.

Last edited:
They put up with it, because there wasnt much option, someone put up so old resettlement advice on ARRSE that officers were to give soldiers, its consisted of getting jobs like a petrol pump attendant and other such awesome jobs. Why the **** would people 30 years ago be want to be treated like a **** if they didnt need to? Just to appear to be made of tougher stuff?

Stores are for ebay, by the way.
For sure, not even saying that they wanted to 'appear' to be made of tougher stuff - maybe people simply did have a different mindset as to what a hard time was?....maybe there was never any expectation then that life was going to be fine and dandy?... or that we were fecking owed an easy life either - or that anything good ever came without some kind of graft?

There's always been options, even 'like it or lump it' is an option - and there's always been those that got on with whatever situation they were in and made the best or most of it...same as there's always those that are whiney bitches.

The mob does have to do more/offer more, to keep who they have but there has to be a realistic trade off and expectation shown by those who are already in or joining up too.

Seniors are the essence of this - but decent leadership and examples are lacking from the very top and bye successive Govts from what I can see, so with that and without the outstanding examples that glue the unit together, no wonder we have disgruntled, churlish, jack tw@ts in every position.

Many youngsters view ARRSE as an online British Legion club.

Full of crusty old duffers smelling of piss, arguing about dress regs and Mess pedantry, interspersed by 'hilarious' dits about BAOR in the last century.

That the average poster on here appears to be chronologically closer to the lads who fought the Japs and the Bosche than the youth of today, is good reason for them to take most of the recruitment advice dispensed with a bucket of salt.

I enjoy perusing ARSSE and an occasional visit to the local Legion for a swift ale, but most young 'uns would rather scoop their eyes out with a rusty spoon.
Bug*er. I must be distinctly above average then... still serving AND years away from that WW2 stuff...

Oh well. Says more about me than them then... ha ha

Many youngsters view ARRSE as an online British Legion club.

Full of crusty old duffers smelling of piss, arguing about dress regs and Mess pedantry, interspersed by 'hilarious' dits about BAOR in the last century.

That the average poster on here appears to be chronologically closer to the lads who fought the Japs and the Bosche than the youth of today, is good reason for them to take most of the recruitment advice dispensed with a bucket of salt.

I enjoy perusing ARSSE and an occasional visit to the local Legion for a swift ale, but most young 'uns would rather scoop their eyes out with a rusty spoon.
How do the lads feel about brexit?

Is it maybe that at the moment lads can leave and walk into jobs that pay the same if not better and doesn't require you to sign up for 4 years or spend a considerable amount of time away from family and friends.

Or constant tasking that are nothing to do with there job, I for one haven't touched a AFV in 18 months and I'm a crewman. Lads get disstisfied cause they aren't doing there jobs and you're back to square one where lads are looking for jobs in civvy street.

Or maybe the lack of opportunities to travel and see places other than a wet wood block in Salisbury plain.

If there was a economic crisis then I reckon the out flow would be less as jobs wouldn't be so easy to come by.

Your opinion is based on your own assumptions and if you check the threads you'll see many relevant posts - and if the young un's view's of ARRSE are as your say, it's may be because, whether they admit it on not, a lot of them are part of the whiney snowflake generation ...and many whinge like bitches

They've better kit, are better fed, have better accom, better T's & C's & are better paid than ever before - they have less bolloxs or the feck about factor to put up with than any previous generation of Toms, more time off ...and having some fecker to listen to their gripes encourages them to go overboard with it.

I'd also imagine that the average ARRSE poster did NI Tours mixed with BAOR postings than the Jap/Nazi gig you assume ..as for your last century comment?.... we're in 2018 not 1918.

However, in their defence, the seemingly jack attitude &, lack of care shown to them by the career obsessed Seniors & Officers is fecking criminal and there doesn't seem to be the same amount of fun around as there was in the past 40 years.
My opinion is based on what my lad has expressed.

I don't need to check any threads to determine whether they are relevant to my lad and his oppos as my own view is irrelevant to them. As is yours.

Their life is so much better in every aspect than yours was, but clearly not enough to recruit and retain numbers in a much smaller army.

I don't know what the bit you're on about in bold means. You seem to have missed my point that somebody serving in the 70's -80's is closer, or as close, to someone who served in the 40's - 50's, than they are to someone serving 30 or 40 years later, in the 21st Century (2018 is of course in a different century to anything up to 1999 -2000).

My opinion is based on what my lad has expressed.

I don't need to check any threads to determine whether they are relevant to my lad and his oppos as my own view is irrelevant to them. As is yours.

Their life is so much better in every aspect than yours was, but clearly not enough to recruit and retain numbers in a much smaller army.

I don't know what the bit you're on about in bold means. You seem to have missed my point that somebody serving in the 70's -80's is closer, or as close, to someone who served in the 40's - 50's, than they are to someone serving 30 or 40 years later, in the 21st Century (2018 is of course in a different century to anything up to 1999 -2000).
Yep, understood. My Boys are serving Sappers and my nephew is in the Rifles.

You mentioned the average age of posters and about 'fighting japs'...I left in the early 00's, so I'm still closer to todays Toms than when I joined in the 70's to those fighting the boxheads.

My main point was that Civvy street for a lot of people aint too clever either, and those who can't tolerate the mob anymore will find the same shite out there , except it may be in another form and called something else - principle is the same i.e. 'This is shit, I want out'., whereas you're just often changing one form of crap for another ...but it still crap.

Not sure if it’s even the youngsters. I left in 2005 and the none of the friends I’ve kept in contact with have even heard of ARRSE. They all followed fill your boots though.

I once mentioned an interesting thread from here on Twitter (about swordsman) and was called a Walt because ‘only Walt’s use ARRSE’.
Interesting - General Sir Nick Parker told me to my face he has ( had?) an account on ARRSE.

Yep, understood. My Boys are serving Sappers and my nephew is in the Rifles.

You mentioned the average age of posters and about 'fighting japs'...I left in the early 00's, so I'm still closer to todays Toms than when I joined in the 70's to those fighting the boxheads.

My main point was that Civvy street for a lot of people aint too clever either, and those who can't tolerate the mob anymore will find the same shite out there , except it may be in another form and called something else - principle is the same i.e. 'This is shit, I want out'., whereas you're just often changing one form of crap for another ...but it still crap.
Consider for a minute that since the day you handed your bedding in, a new recruit joining on that day has nearly completed an entire career.

Many Toms view their Seniors as crusties who are out of touch (the bellends who are chopping plugs off personal appliances), so the view they have of someone who was a Senior decades ago is unlikely to be positive.

Regardless of how 'down and wit' de yoof, innit' we like to think we are.

Consider for a minute that since the day you handed your bedding in, a new recruit joining on that day has nearly completed an entire career.

Many Toms view their Seniors as crusties who are out of touch (the bellends who are chopping plugs off personal appliances), so the view they have of someone who was a Senior decades ago is unlikely to be positive.

Regardless of how 'down and wit' de yoof, innit' we like to think we are.
True.... or the fact that some of them may just be whiney cnuts will also be overlooked by them, it's not they not they could be talking self justified bolloxs and would be whiners wherever they go or whatever they do it is?

The Mobs changed, so have the Toms in it.

My boys and nephew seem to be able to crack on with it though and still have a smile on their faces when talking about what they've been up to ...what about the shit I ask? they just shrug and say , 'meh, it is what it is, and still better than working for a living.'

True.... or the fact that some of them may just be whiney cnuts will also be overlooked by them, it's not they not they could be talking self justified bolloxs and would be whiners wherever they go or whatever they do it is?

The Mobs changed, so have the Toms in it.

My boys and nephew seem to be able to crack on with it though and still have a smile on their faces when talking about what they've been up to ...what about the shit I ask? they just shrug and say , 'meh, it is what it is, and still better than working for a living.'
If we look at the possible career paths open to a phase 1 sprog as opposed to a sprog looking at something in civvy street - lets hypothesise with a 19yr old who's thinking of Inf or working in a warehouse or something.
Frank is going to be a lad whose eager for the challenge & think s living a few days a week in slit trench is good for shits & giggles. He's been army barmy since he was a nipper & loves it. After say 5 or 6 years he may get his lance jack up. In the meantime, he's done no Op tours cos we haven't got anywhere sandy to go brass up. Unless he's exemplary he's going to stagnate on his career path.

Frankie, on the other hand, while thinking about the army can see that if he goes down the civvy street road he can make his way up the promotional ladder by digging in & getting on. Within 5 years he can be a supervisor within some company strategy. With that comes more wedge & even better T & Cs.

Why should any young man or woman be thinking of the services as a comparable career when they know that; the support is lacking, the accom can be attrocious, that family life is second place to the 'career & if delployed they can be absent for months if not years.

For sure, not even saying that they wanted to 'appear' to be made of tougher stuff - maybe people simply did have a different mindset as to what a hard time was?....maybe there was never any expectation then that life was going to be fine and dandy?... or that we were fecking owed an easy life either - or that anything good ever came without some kind of graft?

There's always been options, even 'like it or lump it' is an option - and there's always been those that got on with whatever situation they were in and made the best or most of it...same as there's always those that are whiney bitches.

The mob does have to do more/offer more, to keep who they have but there has to be a realistic trade off and expectation shown by those who are already in or joining up too.

Seniors are the essence of this - but decent leadership and examples are lacking from the very top and bye successive Govts from what I can see, so with that and without the outstanding examples that glue the unit together, no wonder we have disgruntled, churlish, jack tw@ts in every position.
Like it or leave it combined with redundancy caused a skill shortage they still have today.

If we look at the possible career paths open to a phase 1 sprog as opposed to a sprog looking at something in civvy street - lets hypothesise with a 19yr old who's thinking of Inf or working in a warehouse or something.
Frank is going to be a lad whose eager for the challenge & think s living a few days a week in slit trench is good for shits & giggles. He's been army barmy since he was a nipper & loves it. After say 5 or 6 years he may get his lance jack up. In the meantime, he's done no Op tours cos we haven't got anywhere sandy to go brass up. Unless he's exemplary he's going to stagnate on his career path.

Frankie, on the other hand, while thinking about the army can see that if he goes down the civvy street road he can make his way up the promotional ladder by digging in & getting on. Within 5 years he can be a supervisor within some company strategy. With that comes more wedge & even better T & Cs.

Why should any young man or woman be thinking of the services as a comparable career when they know that; the support is lacking, the accom can be attrocious, that family life is second place to the 'career & if delployed they can be absent for months if not years.
Fair comment but lets take it to another level or add a few other aspects .

Firms go under and people get made redundant ......every day of the week - and some bods have had a few years of what you describe and dealing with mong customers, supervisors and clients and hate it ....and some people want to get the feck away from it all and it's monotonous daily bolloxs - and to get away from the same streets that they've known for years, and the scrotey mates who can't see further than their next Friday night pi55 up - and anyone who thinks that the mob is a comparable career to civvy street may be joining for the wrong reasons or have the wrong expectations or life plan?

The accom is variable but mainly good ( or at least bearable depending on your own ability to put up with discomfort and where you grew up yourself ) and the postings can be good and bad and the jobs/role/task can be good and bad and the pay can be good and bad depending on what you feel you 'need' or 'must' spend money on .

.....and nothing is guaranteed except your own way of dealing with all of the above plus any other shite that comes your way.

The modern Toms have gone through considerably harder tours than anything on the go thirty years ago and probably have more repeat tours than the old cunts on here that keep on going on and on and on about snowflakes as though it's an original thought.

Maybe that's why they don't want to join a site full of old bellends telling the same stories about driving a 43 pissed on exercise and the one time they were within 25 miles of an IED in Northern Ireland?

Fair comment but lets take it to another level or add a few other aspects .

Firms go under and people get made redundant ......every day of the week - and some bods have had a few years of what you describe and dealing with mong customers, supervisors and clients and hate it ....and some people want to get the feck away from it all and it's monotonous daily bolloxs - and to get away from the same streets that they've known for years, and the scrotey mates who can't see further than their next Friday night pi55 up - and anyone who thinks that the mob is a comparable career to civvy street may be joining for the wrong reasons or have the wrong expectations or life plan?
But in the modern world why shouldn't someone have an expectation of their career having some potential? I think the days of someone joining with the ethos embedded in them (as it was with many of us who joined in the 70s & 80s) are going to be few & far between. Why shouldn't someone join up & expect to get transferable skills that they can take into civvy street after 12 or 15 years of getting their pension entitlement? Now, those transferable skills, being generally within Corps & trades, as we know are subject to a fair few rounds of redundancy so again why risk that with the associated getting possibly fcuked about by the grown ups while you've got a young family on the go.

In civvy street the redundancy thing, while potentially more common is also easier to manage & get through when ones skillset is more transferable & you aren't a squaddie so in most potential employers eyes, more employable. Like it or not, most employers aren't that keen on ex-mob for various reasons.

i agree that some people may well be joining for the 'wrong reasons' but those wrong reasons, while valid a few years ago aren't any longer as the 'employment' world has changed hugely. We can't recruit on the same basis that we've always done when things have moved on so much. Part of that moving is the expectations that young uns may have. IN order to still be the best the services have to move & provide something to meet those expectations imo.