The Power of Fill Your Boots; Real or imagined?

I’ve never said that. I argued that recruiting and retaining Millenials and Gen Z is a challenge for any organisation and I noted that many have made major changes to the way they operate to do so. The fact that the Army carries in normal jogging, treating soldiers largely as it always has whilst tweaking at the edges to appease the PC voice rather shows that it hasn’t understood generational shift.

You meanwhile carry on with the same old mantra that somehow people who are well paid, get free work clothing, generous leave and travel allowances, subsidised housing and food etc etc are badly treated.

You’ve got a big shock coming when you leave......
The millennials are just the same as generation x, no one likes to be treated like shit.

You really are a buffoon when it comes to telling serving people of the benefits, "free work clothes" whoopee fucking do, my wife got a part time job in B & Q and got free work clothes, "Travel allowances" that will be the army that goes out of its fucking way to offer you a white fleet while you're away for two weeks on the condition that you can only use it for travelling there and back, meaning most people will take their own (Which doesn't get any allowance), "subsidised housing" Gee thanks for putting us up in sub standard shit holes, its not like civvies get housing allowance/council housing or anything like that is it? "Subsidised food" like housing, a lot of it is sub standard, of course if soldiers could cook in the blocks (by the way pads rarely eat in cookhouse, so not exactly a money saver for them)they might be able to save even more money. You really do sound like a bellend senior officer who lies about the great "perks" of the army and then wonders why no one believes them.

Both my grandads, 2 uncles, my father and my wife (Canadian) served in armed forces, its unlikely to be a shock to me when I leave.

Last edited:
You forgot free gym membership and free soldier magazine
I just cant understand why they arent climbing over the fence to get in, clearly it must be the young kids of today who are at fault.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The millennials are just the same as generation x, no one likes to be treated like shit.

You really are a buffoon when it comes to telling serving people of the benefits, "free work clothes" whoopee ******* do, my wife got a part time job in B & Q and got free work clothes, "Travel allowances" that will be the army that goes out of its ******* way to offer you a white fleet while you're away for two week on the condition that you can only use it for travelling there and back, meaning most people will take their own (Which doesnt get any allowance), "subsidised housing" Gee thanks for putting us up in sub standard shit holes, its not like civvies get housing allowance/council housing or anything like that is it? "Subsidised food" like housing, alot of it is sub standard, of course if soldiers could cook in the blocks (by the way pads rarely eat in cookhouse, so not exactly a money saver for them)they might be able to save even more money. You really do sound like a bellend senior officer who lies about the great "perks" of the army and then wonders why no one believes them.

Both my grandads, 2 uncles, my father and my wife (Canadian) served in armed forces, its unlikely to be a shock to me when I leave.
The pay is less, the pension is less, the travel is less, think of any other reasons people would rather do something else?

The pay is less, the pension is less, the travel is less, think of any other reasons people would rather do something else?
You will have to ask Bob, apparently its fucking fantastic that they give us clothing that they want us to wear. I'll have to let the McDonalds staff know how privileged they are.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
You will have to ask Bob, apparently its ******* fantastic that they give us clothing that they want us to wear. I'll have to let the McDonalds staff know how privileged they are.
All the public sector is worse off, can’t recruit easily for any part. At some point they’ll have to realise the terms and conditions are rubbish.

All the public sector is worse off, can’t recruit easily for any part. At some point they’ll have to realise the terms and conditions are rubbish.
They should offer them travel allowances that are a pain in the arse, they'll be booting the doors in to get a job.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Nobody ever said there are not some thick sods serving! View attachment 296736

It is slightly worrying that a dropshort does not know the difference between a C and an S.
I believe you might have things a bit wrong there. Your man is obviously part of the "Granite Mountain Regiment". As such, the equivalent ranks are as follows:
Private - Pebble
Lance-jack - Rock
Full-screw - Boulder (abbreviated to "Bdr")
Sergeant - Stone
And "NSO" means "None Stone Officer" (that is, not yet made up).

I'm actually disgusted that all that stupid shite seems to have reappeared in this day and age. It was (sort of) understandable when I joined at the beginning of 1966, because quite a few of the NCOs were ex-National Service, who did the whole ridiculous circus of whitewashing the coal heap, bulling the soles of their daps, mirror polishing the insides of their helmets and all the rest of the superfluous bollix. I always thought that it was dead and gone, but it seems not.

MsG

I've said it before... if they invested half as much time and money into stuff like this as they did in diversity and LGBT issues, they'd not have half the problems. And since 99% of the blokes and women I worked with in the past never seemed to have an issue with women, gay people, lesbian people, disabled people, transgender people, black people, yellow people, brown people, dysley...dislex... people who can't spell - then there's no real reason they should place it as such a high priority. Sadly they do though - one can only assume our commanders and leaders are more concerned with their image than "doing the right thing" on this basis.

BAME and LGBT box ticks are essential to get on. So much so, you would be unsurprised to know that maps, PowerPoints fur the use of, showing the current deployments of LGBT personnel are all the rage. Yes, seriously, sturdy bands of Officers and NCOs are producing such key resources as we speak.

I believe you might have things a bit wrong there. Your man is obviously part of the "Granite Mountain Regiment". As such, the equivalent ranks are as follows:
Private - Pebble
Lance-jack - Rock
Full-screw - Boulder (abbreviated to "Bdr")
Sergeant - Stone
And "NSO" means "None Stone Officer" (that is, not yet made up).

I'm actually disgusted that all that stupid shite seems to have reappeared in this day and age. It was (sort of) understandable when I joined at the beginning of 1966, because quite a few of the NCOs were ex-National Service, who did the whole ridiculous circus of whitewashing the coal heap, bulling the soles of their daps, mirror polishing the insides of their helmets and all the rest of the superfluous bollix. I always thought that it was dead and gone, but it seems not.

MsG
As in the title, real or imagined?
Like most of Bugsy's fables I'm going to go with imagined.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
BAME and LGBT box ticks are essential to get on. So much so, you would be unsurprised to know that maps, PowerPoints fur the use of, showing the current deployments of LGBT personnel are all the rage. Yes, seriously, sturdy bands of Officers and NCOs are producing such key resources as we speak.
Excellent.

Nothing like the irony of producing maps pinpointing people in employment based on their skin colour, sexual preferences and religion.

Bit overkill just to produce a map of Catterick don’t you think?

Excellent.

Nothing like the irony of producing maps pinpointing people in employment based on their skin colour, sexual preferences and religion.

Himmler would have Approved of the diligence.
LGBT? just want to get on with your job?
Fear not lad, lass, non gender defined, we know exactly where you are!

I’m sure one Of the Bright Ideas Club will come up with a patch they can wear to identify the minority groups.

I’m sure one Of the Bright Ideas Club will come up with a patch they can wear to identify the minority groups.
Given how much they brighten up our lives, we should go for a big yellow star....

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see their hand behind this tbh.
Not unless the Emperor Mong has had a hand in it. The outrage will hit maximum levels if they were found to have silenced a Facebook page pointing out their many faults. I reckon its an individual who has been slagged off.

You really are a buffoon when it comes to telling serving people of the benefits
Nope. I may be playing devils advocate slightly but looking at the pay and conditions of a soldier compared with the lot of a zero hours contract paying minimum wage, getting “let go” frequently and living at home because they can’t afford a deposit, with no prospect of further education or training because they can’t afford it, the Army offer would be pretty attractive. And I’m not thinking that many soldiers in your blanket stacking trade would fix themselves doing much else but zero hours jobs.....

And being blunt, I somehow doubt that a blanket stacking NCO who hit the dizzy heights of SSgt in 23 years and institutionalised from childhood as a pads brat has a frigging clue what life is like in that world.

Nope. I may be playing devils advocate slightly but looking at the pay and conditions of a soldier compared with the lot of a zero hours contract paying minimum wage, getting “let go” frequently and living at home because they can’t afford a deposit, with no prospect of further education or training because they can’t afford it, the Army offer would be pretty attractive. And I’m not thinking that many soldiers in your blanket stacking trade would fix themselves doing much else but zero hours jobs.....

And being blunt, I somehow doubt that a blanket stacking NCO who hit the dizzy heights of SSgt in 23 years and institutionalised from childhood as a pads brat has a frigging clue what life is like in that world.
I'll be blunter, you really thought that "free work clothes" is some sort of perk and now pretending you were playing devil advocate, what an absolute wanker you really are.

You really can't see why people dont want to join or stay in. Except they are millennials (Carefully forgetting that before they joined up there was a recruiting/retention problem).

You do realise that even at SSgt rank Ive done equal or better than 90% of a regiment? Yet you would hold that 90% in contempt, what a great leader you must have been.

Last edited:
I don't think our 21 SAS heroine has the time to engage the law with regard to FYB, although she may have had a couple of words with her 'bestie' Fallon and escalated things from that direction. She is far too busy making tin foil hats under the wild assumption that Putin's Russian troops are in cahoots with ex British Army soldiers undermining her credibility.

Telegraph linky below.

It was sixteen years ago, stop poking me with sticks.
How vain is she that she believes herself so important that a] Ivan knows who she is and b] she is a valid target for attack?

Total fantasist, proven by this article.

Good to hear that she is reaping the rewards of her walting behaviours by becoming a toxic choice for public speaker. Perhaps she is now free to find a proper job.