The Poppy

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Goatman, Nov 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

2. Sr. Cabra,

I have never seen it sold or worn in the U.S. As far as I know, nobody really knows what it means. This is not to say that it's not -- there's a huge expat population where I live, so they may wear them but I never noticed anyone doing so.

I suspect that it might be worn by Canadians but will leave that to one of our northern cousins to answer!

Just read the BBC story link...oh, FFS. How could that not be seen as an opportunity to educate people and keep it in the public consciousness? It may broadcast around the world but it's a British organization.
  3. Certainly known about in Australia, NZ and possibly Canada.

I have had discussions with some Americans about the Poppy...some where aware of the history.
  4. Never mind that the US don't know what the poppy means, it's just nice to see them making up for being so late for the last 2 world wars, by being really punctual for the next one!
  5. Yet those pieces of twisted ribbon in various colour combinations seem to get plastered all over the place and we are supposed to know WTF they are for. This is the BBC for gods sake. Thought that was the British B....
    Who gives a toss if a mass of unwashed foriegn jonnies don't recognise a poppy.

How about if they wore a poppy and then explained it during one of the interminable breaks they have every 5 minutes with the 'kin awful music.
  6. OK, that was funny!
  7. I have my moments Hunny Bunny!
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for that you two...if you want to carry on flirting, take it off line huh ? 8)

if I'm in the US this time next year I might well take a poppy collection box with me.....all donations gratefully received in return for educationalisating the locals :)

Lee Shaver
  9. In answer to the question..
    Canada definitely has the poppy and proudly wears it.. This year has been designated Year Of The Veteran and every politician worth his riding is sporting said item as does every newsreader and other up-front type.. Legion , Cadet Corps and other military associations all flogging them and very few folks on the street are refusing to cough up a few pennies to get one without incurring snarly looks from the rest...

nice change from the usual indifference in past years.

took a big push on the 90th anniversary of WWI and 60th of WWII to get Joe Public to even think about ' the wars ' but once that sunk in.. things went swimmingly.. blanket media coverage of the State Funeral for Smokey Smith VC winner for actions in Italy during WWII also made folks aware of sacrifice, etc..

Brought a tear to the eye to see the unwashed buy into the Remebrance/Poppy thing.. cynic in me wonders what the next few years will be like once the hooplah dies down and the last of the WWI vets passes on... think we're down to 4-5 from 11 last year...and WWII vets are dropping at an alarming rate as well..

Guess its up to us younguns to pick up the slack and keep the ' memory alive '...

a task I'm willing to undertake...
  10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

They know all about poppies in Afganistan...

...makes me think of the Sting song 'Children's crusade.' Nice 3/4 piece, good lyrics, excellent drumming.
  11. Yeah, but they don't wear them, the grow them and get very anti when the septics burn their fields, or is that just very high?
  12. Definately sold here in Australia - you can get poppies and poppy lapel badges ($10). The day itself does get mentioned and observed, but it is not as important in the cultural psyche as ANZAC day (my observations only).
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Poppies are fairly widly worn in Hong Kong. The remeberance Sunday Parade at the Cenotaph in Central follows the usual form. Cadets in British style uniforms, plod with swords and spurs, old boys with Medals, bagpipes, Last Post etc. National Anthem was a bit of a surprise though - The Chinese National Anthem is catchy - but it aint quite God Save the Queen - still it ain't her colony anymore.