The Pope's Visit

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Monty Stubble, Sep 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen BBC news of HH The Pope inter-faith meeting in London. Sitting very prominently in the front row is a (Sikh?) Int Corps soldier wearing a turban with a capbadge in it.

Good example of diversity in the Corps. But how is it for the chap's personal security? He looked pretty identifiable to me...

(And couldn't they have found a slim one?...)
  2. I am sure that if it came to that, sardar ji would be able to overpower the 80-something pontiff and preserve his virginity. Sikhs are famous for punching above their weight, mughals found that out the hard way... Not having seen the footage, what makes you think the pope would attack the sikh chappy?
  3. He's German ... I believe they've got previous.
  4. Ah yes, and a Nazi too, although he prefers this not to be mentioned... Can't remember if he admitted to having joined the Hitler Jugend (-youth) or that was....
  5. There was a piccie of him in Hitler Yoof uniform doing the rounds

ahhh and here it is [​IMG]
  6. Priceless!
  7. Presumably he got the brown envelope then ... he's done well in his second career. Mind you there was a big defence review ongoing in Germany at the time I'm led to believe.
  8. agreed. what a thing to say about the head of the catholic church. as if he would.

the sikh chap is not in choirboy clothes and is clearly too old.
  9. No, no! Nazis are people who dress in black & tell people what to do. We priests, however...
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Although Ratzinger may not have had much choice about joining the Hitler Youth, by experiencing and thinking about how Nazism worked he maybe construed some lessons in how to run a controlling organisation. I find something deeply Fascist in the RC 'church' which I regard as a protection racket, and a perversion of Christianity rather than a part of it, which lost its way (or whose hierarchy chose another path) when it was politicised by the Emperor Constantine about 1700 years ago.
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

So why does he not have to wear a seat belt like normal people then
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Off you go, Jim, try a citizen's arrest.
  13. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

I have just realised, Pope - Hitler Youth - Germans: hence no mention of Op Market Garden this weekend.
  14. Apparently, he was interviewd by FHM Magazine and was asked what his favourite grooming products were....'Haribo and Smarties' was the reply

Ok, I'l get me coat...
  15. Let us not forget that most Englishmen were Catholics (apart from the Jews and Moslems) up until the reign of Fat Henry and the newly formed Church of England was just a watered down version of the original Catholic creed. And was it not in Germany under Martin Luther (not the Yank one who was shot) that the Reformation of the Protestant Church began.

Let us not blame everything on His Holiness - he was elected by his peers in the College of Cardinals by the Grace of Our Lord and did not inherit the appointment by right of passage.

In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti