The poorest families in the UK... whose fault is it?

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't referring to the Big Issue. Though they're not employed by BI, I can't recall how it stands. I'm pretty sure we've flung a few of them out as well.
It used to be that they were effectively self-employed, in that they buy the BI from the publisher at wholesale prices and then sell them on at the cover price.

We had one who stood outside the Students Union/Refectory building at uni who did a roaring trade. I walked in on him one lunchtime in the cellar bar bog's counting his money - the cellar bar was only used nights so no one went down there during the day. I had come in the back of the building which led straight into the cellar and was desperate for a jimmy and him expecting not to be disturbed was busy counting. He easily had more than 500 quid in his hands - all the dipstick students feeling sorry for the bloke buying a BI, he was in piggy heaven.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
He easily had more than 500 quid in his hands - all the dipstick students feeling sorry for the bloke buying a BI, he was in piggy heaven.
Well that's what you call private enterprise and exploiting market forces. Good for him. No different really to the burger vans setting up outside nightclubs in my day.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well that's what you call private enterprise and exploiting market forces. Good for him. No different really to the burger vans setting up outside nightclubs in my day.
The difference here though, is that this guy will still be claiming all the benefits he can unlike the burger van guy who.... Oh.... Hang on... Nevermind. :D

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
The difference here though, is that this guy will still be claiming all the benefits he can unlike the burger van guy who.... Oh.... Hang on... Nevermind. :D
I know it was a joke but, Big Issue sellers were classed as working (self-employed) and are entitled to Working Tax Credit and the like, but not to Jobseekers Allowance. No idea what the new Universal Credit does but the point is that they are working (and bloody long hours sometimes) rather than dole scroungers.

I know it was a joke but, Big Issue sellers were classed as working (self-employed) and are entitled to Working Tax Credit and the like, but not to Jobseekers Allowance. No idea what the new Universal Credit does but the point is that they are working (and bloody long hours sometimes) rather than dole scroungers.
No

The foreign occupation of a country doesn't give the illegal government any right to change the names of places. Derry is an Irish city never once on Great Britain

Also Derry is legally in the name of the council and used by the public broadcasting corporation of the UK

get over it

Soon the Brits will be defeated

The Irish lost because our lads were outnumbered and outgunned

Also calling me sexist doesn't bother me, I admit I don't believe the sexes are equal nor do I like women much
You're not all there are you?

Can't argue, he was definitely on top of the 4 P's of the marketing mix.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I like the story of a Pakistani beggar that has a sign by his bowl that says 'Just another fiver and I'll be on the plane to Pakistan' He never fails to make his quota!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Supply decent wages and you will see a réduction in benefits claims
How do you work that out? An employer can only employ so many! and your quotation comes from someone who has never employed anyone, I would suspect? Most employers, if they are any good will pay just about twice minimum wages in order to get good men or women,

Not long ago I had a gap between jobs, a few weeks, and thought I would sign on, get some tax back.

It's not very generous.

The thing that shocked me was the stupidity.

I had a mortgage then, around £550 pcm, but they wouldn't have given me housing benefit.

Apparently, once I'd fallen in to arrears, and been repossessed, then I'd get housed.

Other identical houses on the street were rented out.

One of them to a benefit claimant.

The rent was £850 odd.

So- they're not going to give me £550 pcm to keep my home while I get sorted, reason given, "we can't use public money to fund the purchase of a private asset".

But, once I'm in crisis, presumably so stressed that no bugger would have me on a team and I'm unlikely to work again, they're going to give a private landlord way more, and the money will be funding the purchase of a private asset.

Utterly stupid.
A mate bought a flat from his local council many years ago now. He paid very little for it and then rented it back to the council. Took a couple of years to get his money back and make a profit.

A mate bought a flat from his local council many years ago now. He paid very little for it and then rented it back to the council. Took a couple of years to get his money back and make a profit.

And that's clever, from his perspective.

For the people who paid for the flat and paid the rent after it was sold... stupid.

We are buying our own votes with our own money, and getting angry with the wrong people.

Latest Threads