The 'Pompeii' of the Western Front

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldbaldy, Feb 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Read more: Bodies of 21 German soldiers buried alive in WW1 trench found perfectly preserved 94 years later | Mail Online

Looks amazing!!
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for the link. Interesting that they can identify the bodies. Anybody know what the German reaction is these days to the discovery of Great Uncle Helmut's remains? Do they do the whole military burial thing that we do?
  3. I think people sometimes forget there were 2 sides to the conflict and the German's still have as many missing soldiers without a place of rest as the rest of the countries involved. At least they will now have a permanent place to be laid to rest.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

nice link. great archaeology, i rekon the unknown item is a purse with some copper alloy coins and possibly tokens.
  5. Apparently so. I've seen footage of the Bundeswehr conducting a military funeral for a previously found WW1 German soldier, but I'm led to believe that this is only at the request of the deceased's descendants.
  6. WW1 doesnt look like it was any fun at all
  7. Have they been mincing around France for the last 90 years then?
  8. Not mincing exactly, more like just lying around.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Well, as my Grandad would have said:

"That bloody well learned 'em!"
  10. The horror of being buried alive aside (hopefully the concussion would have knocked them on the head first) the really scary thing is that it was a CENTURY ago!
  11. Obviously it didn't; they had a replay shortly afterwards.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Yes they do I was in Flesquires in 2007 when a Privately funded Monument to the Battle of Cambrai was concicrated.There was also the burial of a Geman soldier who they found in Burlon wood.Ithink that I´ve still got some photos of it which I will post when I find them.IIRC the family,the Bundeswehr and the German Embassy were represented.

13. I'm sure the German's have many more missing. A visit to Langemark German war cemetry outside Ypres (Ilper) is a real eye-open if you are used to CWGC Cemetries. There are very few of the named headstones, as you would find in a CWGC site and even the ones that are named usualy contain more than on body. There is a mass grave with 25,000 dead buried in it. Even on a summer's day the place has a cold, dank, earie feel.