The politics of ARRSE

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by blessed baby cakes, Jul 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the current issues surrounding me in my daily living I take time to hide in the pages of ARRSE. I read the news and views, the tales and the slanders of each of the sections with glee and appreciation! But being a civvy I tend to, as I was advised a while ago by a more aware member, only post on the boards in which I have a valid view or an educated understanding.

Earlier this year I had a politically sensitive run-in with another member and decided to stand well back and allow this person to act and react to his or her own agenda, but it wasn’t their agenda really. It was party line, their party of choices line.

Then I got further to thinking, how do we defend our thoughts and out political beliefs if they are taken from us and we are not able to express them without there being reprisals.

The answer is simple!

The noun discussion has 2 meanings:

Meaning #1: an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic
    Synonyms: treatment, discourse

Meaning #2: an exchange of views on some topic
    Synonyms: give-and-take, word

v., -bat·ed, -bat·ing, -bates.

1. To consider something; deliberate.
    2. To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
    3. To engage in a formal discussion or argument. See synonyms at discuss.
    4. Obsolete. To fight or quarrel.

1. To deliberate on; consider.
    2. To dispute or argue about.
    3. To discuss or argue (a question, for example) formally.
    4. Obsolete. To fight or argue for or over.

1. A discussion involving opposing points; an argument.
    2. Deliberation; consideration: passed the motion with little debate.
    3. A formal contest of argumentation in which two opposing teams defend and attack a given proposition.
    4. Obsolete. Conflict; strife.

But what if the basis for discussion, or debate, is not met? What if it’s less of a discussion and more of a running or commentary as I’ve recently witnessed or the mass removal of items that while others have cried for the return of the decision has been made not to do so, based on what, I’m unsure of.

Quandary, isn’t it. Well, what do you think?

2. As you all know, I'm not averse into leaping into the fray for a fight. I suppose some moderation has to be exrecised so as not to get ARRSE into trouble wrt journos, lawyers and the like. I didn't get to read any of the posts deleted so I can't tell whether that decision was justified or not. Perhaps the Mods are worried about any legal bill that might land at their feet!
  3. Er BBC was it a 5 min argument or the full hour you wanted ?
  4. I think that PTP was getting annoyed with everyone abusing L_S in that thread, that’s why that particular post was deleted.
    L_S had a lot of her posts deleted there as well, that was fair enough, she had reverted back into her stupid mode again. That made me chuckle.
  5. I recently started a thread (my second ever I believe). Due to a misunderstanding oin their part (I think) the first reply I got was one word:
    T W A T.

Without going into the specifics the thread was about a people being treated badly on the grounds of ethnicity and I was looking for some serious discusiion and information. I replied to the person calling me a T W A T asking for clarification on why I was so accused and when I looked back a short while later the thread had been deleted. After 4 posts, 2 of which were mine including the initial post a thread was deleted. No overt slaggings, no slanging matches or anything.

I enjoy ARRSE and will continue to do so and I understand this is not a democracy but I have seen countless other threads carry on with far more friction than the one I started. I have to conclude it is not so much the politics of ARRSE as the policies of ARRSE.
  6. There are no politics on ARRSE.

We are a big happy family with two kindly benevolent housemasters, and a load of prefects. I don't know what Beebs is alluding to in this thread (as I didn't post on it), but I can't believe that any Mod would arbitrarily delete a thread for no reason whatsoever, and I do know that detailed discussion takes place before action (if any) is taken.

I believe that PTP was a little concerned that the deliberate flaming of LS on his board was not on-message with the sort of behaviour we expect on Current Affairs.

Take it to the NAAFI! :D
  7. Sorry Darth you're wrong, in the thread in question i ASKED LS a direct series of questions to enable a discussion on the item she had posted....
    The reply to the above was.....
    Not attributed to the source....
    Where it can be viewed and used insituate of the site, but MISattributed, or another site was quoted for whatever reason, I really don't care to comment. Later after there was 'flaming' over this posting a foot note was added to include the writers personal experiences of the disease and those of their family. None of which add to the original debate.

A blanket warning was issued, unfortunately I failed to see that debate and discussion where actively being disuaded and that my posts where being viewed as 'flaming' I still fail to see them as such.

At no time did I receive a direct request via the board or PM, both of which LS has according to the thread content.

So again I was left to wonder, that is until I was approached in chat (a copy of which I'd happily share with you if you feel like being a fly on the wall after the issue,) and told to stay away from Current Affairs, a warning repeated from last year when again my style and attitude to issues went against the board Moderators own. Politics in ARRSE, certainly in Current Affairs, one party only, it's the moderators party or no party. :) And as you know in my own small world it's all politics and all parties. ;)

8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm not going to take sides in this one, partly as I haven't seen some of the threads that are aluded to above, and can't follow the cancer one - far too complex.

BUT. We do want the serious section heavily moderated (see arrse policy ). Why?

1. The site should have something for everyone within reason. There should be site users who fear to step foot in Current Affairs for fear of an intellectual beasting, in the same way that there should be users who would never dare / want to to enter the NAAFI.

2. I would like a well informed, very intelligent person (definitely not me!) to be able to visit arrse, step in to Current Affairs and read a series of intelligent, interesting, well written posts, AND WANT TO CONTRIBUTE, rather than leaving straight away.

3. I would like the less well informed to be able to gain something from reading the thread - this is me I'm talking about - rather than leaving straight away, as I often do as yet another deteriorates in to rubbish.

4. I would like one part of the site free from the bickering that goes on elsewhere.

To compare it to newspapers, the Current Affairs board should be looked at as the broadsheet of ARRSE, Int Cell exists for more day to day banter, the tabloid of ARRSE, while the NAAFI might be looked at as the Viz.

Edit, an aside although mentioned in a post above. Can we stop this rubbish about journalist scum. The journalist scum are the sort of people who should want to read the current affairs / Int Cell, although I've had a couple of comments that none do because of the time required to fight through the drivel.
  9. Good Co, I agree with what has been written, however if I might address a couple of points for clarity. :)

Your link doesn't work ;)

1. Should the individual who is beasted be protected? I was always taught debate was the ability to present arguments and reach a conclusion, not the same conclusion, but one that was formed through the sharing of ideas and opinions. Maybe I'm failing to see that happening in this sphere.

2. Not this thread I'm afraid, it's a series of one-line replies asking for the poster to share further, a little like an evangelical wailing session. :?

3. See previous. You can get more by reading the cancer Research site in one sitting, in fact the original discussion has now been taken over by one on healthy family eating.

4. Ouch! Be female will bicker? :roll: :oops:

Even the broadsheets have a funny section. ;)

10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

1. ¿Qué?

2. ¿Qué?

Broadsheets do have a funny section, but it's not an extract from Viz. Have a look at Rudolph Hucker's post here:

I mean, For F uck's Sake.

Actually, that whole topic is an example of a good observation - nothing greatly intellectual - being converted in to 'told-you-so' type rubbish, despite one of the mod's best efforts.
  11. 1. ¡El discusión en no existant como el cartel tiene el lujo de una
    dirección otras, se han cortado que, no tiene simple realmente allí
    no es ningún dios sino el dios de mi universo!

2. It would appear that one line answers requesting the poster to contribute almost in a brain storming session are being accepted, in fact if LS hadn't been the original poster I wonder how long the thread would have run for. There is No debate, there is No discussion. It's almost a Q and A session with out the A! It's a section after section input on a topic that there has been no attempt, or ability, to pull together to offer a conclusion by the host.

12. Hey! That's sh*t! you edited AFTER I'd started to replying! Bloody CO's!

The whole CANCER MAP or the Alas it begins? Dear God I hope you mean the Cancer Map!

13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Well that's every female out of Current Affairs for about two weeks a month, PMT and period time combined.

How about only dorises with hysterectomies may enter the forum ?

Well this is the Int Cell- it's only a rumour...

Countdown to post deletion starts... now !
  14. And what exactly do you expect from L_S???
    She’s a crayon short of a box.