Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The politics and arrogance of British aid to India

S

syledis

That would be me, then. (In one of my lives-In another one, I was the evil, tax collecting bastard. Surely, even I can't get bayonetted twice for doing two seperate jobs?)

Anyway, not wishing to spoil a good rant with dull statistics but, we spend the grand total of bugger -all on foreign aid. We have a Government Department, with a Minister, paid, by the Treasury, to be 'Faceless pricks' on the public's behalf, and spend the budgetary equivalent of the change down the back of the sofa... Cool, eh?

Considering other major states spend even less, we even pat ourselves on the back for doing that much.

We spend 0.7% of GDP on international aid. A shade over £11.5 billion. Less than 1%. In economic terms, that's so small it's an accounting error.

Quite honestly, 'the politics and arrogance' of giving away the economic equivalent of a used tea bag isn't worth wasting your bile on. Does Yusuf feel better about our arrogance, now that he realises just how irrelevant it is, or annoyed that we are so cheapskate?

£11.5 billion is nothing?

What a load of pish!

Oh, FFS...:roll:

Attachments

• 2n9008p.jpg
    2n9008p.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 198
£11.5 billion is nothing?

What a load of pish!

No. That's because you are thinking like a person-(£11 billion quid! That's up with Bill Gates) and not like a Government. Our smallest expenditures are in the tens of millions. We expect to spend over £670 billion this year. What's £11 billion compared to that?

UK Central Government and Local Authority Public Spending 2013 - Pie Charts Tables

That's the problem. You take that £11 billion. Stick it into, say, NHS. Their working budget is about £105 BILLION. So, that's a (Wahay!) 10% uplift. But- The NHS SAVED £5billion just by sorting out it's computer procurement. Other such marginal efficiencies across the board add up to far more than our entire aid budget.

Ironically, giving some organisations MORE cash than they can handle can kill them. They just can't administer it, and they choke. Spread it out too thin, you might as well not have bothered giving it to them at all.

We work in billions. That's the fact.

...the budgetary equivalent of the change down the back of the sofa... Cool, eh?

Considering other major states spend even less, we even pat ourselves on the back for doing that much.

We spend 0.7% of GDP on international aid. A shade over £11.5 billion. Less than 1%. In economic terms, that's so small it's an accounting error.

Quite honestly, 'the politics and arrogance' of giving away the economic equivalent of a used tea bag isn't worth wasting your bile on. Does Yusuf feel better about our arrogance, now that he realises just how irrelevant it is, or annoyed that we are so cheapskate?

Only an apologist for the ridiculous, politically surreal system in place could come up with those statements. Shame.

Perception isn't all, but it's a lot, and so's substance. The British public has been treated to some appalling bullshit over the years, and it's high time that there was less of it floating about on the toilet water of our democracy.

'Look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves' was an expression I heard frequently in my youth and I think that it works as well for governments as individuals. If we save a few of these 'nothing' 11 billions we'll soon have some money to spend on the taxpayers of this country or, I know I'm stretching it a bit, some tax reductions.

S

syledis

No. That's because you are thinking like a person-(£11 billion quid! That's up with Bill Gates) and not like a Government. Our smallest expenditures are in the tens of millions. We expect to spend over £670 billion this year. What's £11 billion compared to that?

UK Central Government and Local Authority Public Spending 2013 - Pie Charts Tables

That's the problem. You take that £11 billion. Stick it into, say, NHS. Their working budget is about £105 BILLION. So, that's a (Wahay!) 10% uplift. But- The NHS SAVED £5billion just by sorting out it's computer procurement. Other such marginal efficiencies across the board add up to far more than our entire aid budget.

Ironically, giving some organisations MORE cash than they can handle can kill them. They just can't administer it, and they choke. Spread it out too thin, you might as well not have bothered giving it to them at all.

We work in billions. That's the fact.

Im thinking like a rational person and i can see £11.5 billion ways that can be spent in our country.

The thing that knobs like Yussif forget is that the alternative to being colonised by the British was being colonised by someone else, not being left alone.

In India's case Napoleon fancied his chances, as did the Russians and even the Spanish at some point.

Ask the Algerians, the Incas and the Chechens how that went.

Twat

Scorpio46

Old-Salt
Why do I keep thinking about Monty Python's The life of Brian in his rant. The British are the goto guys to blame when things don't turn out good for these people, just look at the Scots, they'll be blameing us for everything under the sun till hell freezes over. If they don't want our money just give us it back and to make yourselves feel superior say it's to help the poor impovrished chavs of Peckham.

Why do I keep thinking about Monty Python's The life of Brian in his rant. The British are the goto guys to blame when things don't turn out good for these people, just look at the Scots, they'll be blameing us for everything under the sun till hell freezes over. If they don't want our money just give us it back and to make yourselves feel superior say it's to help the poor impovrished chavs of Peckham.

Don't flatter yourself you mash bastard!

The British are the goto guys to blame when things don't turn out good for these people, just look at the Scots, they'll be blameing us for everything under the sun till hell freezes over.

The Scots aren't themselves British, then?

Well done, you.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

Chicken_George

War Hero
The giving of "aid" per se is not the problem. Yes £11.5b is less than 1% of GDP, and if thats classed as sofa change in Whitehall then the mandarins really ought to get out more. Aid should be offered to assist the people of a country not because of some historical sense of guilt.
Why should a country that has a space and a nuke programme get any aid at all. I maybe wrong but its time India grew up and stopped blaming the UK for their failings, the country is run on a rigid caste system which I'll admit I know little about but from what I have seen is holding people, families and communities down and not letting them advance their lot.

CG

I think we should remember to make the distiction between India as a nation state and Indians, the people.

The nation has its space programme but most of the people have bugger all.

It's one thing for ******* like RayC to say 'we don't want aid because it makes us look bad' but then their children aren't the ones dying in squallor.

Didn't we go through this nauseating topic a few months ago? The Indians don't want the bloody money, the British government, for reasons best known to themselves insist on giving it to them.

Didn't we go through this nauseating topic a few months ago? The Indians don't want the bloody money, the British government, for reasons best known to themselves insist on giving it to them.

Cos it's all part of the "Caring Tories" b*shite..... B*llocks to that. I voted for a dose of foul tasting medicine and mass shooting of pointless Civil Servants. Not this bag of b*llocks

King-walt

War Hero
Maybe he didn't realise that India has the 11th largest economy (why not just give the ****ing aid money to the charities) in the world and that it is one of the fastest growing, the problem is not being a poor country, the issue it seems is how to distribute across fairly and not waste money on shite like a space program, the class systems a bitch it seems as well

All the child needs is some educating

intli

War Hero
The tirade at the start of this thread seems to forget one key thing. India as a cohesive country and national entity did not exist before the British. It was a series of Princely states, either Muslim or Hindu but with no national framework, transport, education or tax system. If the Congress hadn't been so bl##dy intransigent in 1942/3 then India today may still have had the frontiers of pre- 47. Instead they sliced it into 3, East and West Pakistan and India. East Pakistan then got independence in 1971 as Bangla Desh and is a grade 1 basket case. India itself has the billionaires and the grinding poverty but they don't give a t### for their poor as in their religion you come back in the next life better off so get on with it. One thing is clear. This country has been independent for 65 years, It is rich and proud of its successes. We should turn off the tap, keep the money, but more importantly, which would HURT them, stop the annual Visa allocation and see what happens. Bet they wouldn't be so smarmy toward us then!

King-walt

War Hero
The tirade at the start of this thread seems to forget one key thing. India as a cohesive country and national entity did not exist before the British. It was a series of Princely states, either Muslim or Hindu but with no national framework, transport, education or tax system. If the Congress hadn't been so bl##dy intransigent in 1942/3 then India today may still have had the frontiers of pre- 47. Instead they sliced it into 3, East and West Pakistan and India. East Pakistan then got independence in 1971 as Bangla Desh and is a grade 1 basket case. India itself has the billionaires and the grinding poverty but they don't give a t### for their poor as in their religion you come back in the next life better off so get on with it. One thing is clear. This country has been independent for 65 years, It is rich and proud of its successes. We should turn off the tap, keep the money, but more importantly, which would HURT them, stop the annual Visa allocation and see what happens. Bet they wouldn't be so smarmy toward us then!

I wish I could post a video my friend took of an Indian telling me "**** England" and his excuse was "England ruled over India for so many years"... what a ****

Latest Threads