The Polish Mindset

What 2 nations were the most brave, courageous, and able to fight until the end during WW2?

• The British

Votes: 66 70.2%
  • Americans

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • The French

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Poles

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Germans

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Italians

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Russians

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
Fair comment
It's where Grandma was Born, in the district of Scharkeyen North east of Warsaw and with the grasp of Koenigsberg.
I was born in London. My parents were born in what was Eastern Poland and what is now Belarus. Their parents were born in Tsarist Russia, in a part that was previously the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. I do not revendicate my ancestral home.

Yes, criminal thieving gang of corrupted officials with thier ringleader Putin passed the 'law' intended to punish those who dare to call them by their real name - Crooks and Thieves.
And what? What is your point?
My point is, a Russian troll commenting on freedom of speech is laughable. Did you have to get permission to write the above?

My point is, a Russian troll commenting on freedom of speech is laughable. Did you have to get permission to write the above?
I haven't written anything special. Russia is captured by oligarchs and thieving gang of corrupted officials.
As for freedom of speech then I'm its unconditional supporter.

I was in Poland a couple of weeks ago for the first time in my life - I went to Poznan. I must say I thought it was stunning. Lovely people and everyone spoke English. Uber from the airport to the City centre and it was 33 degrees C. Beer and scran was cheap as chips and it made Germany look dirty. I could have eaten dinner off the floor - it was unbelievably clean.

View attachment 399035

Trams were a pain in the arrse as the ran 24 hours a day

View attachment 399037

not overpopulated

View attachment 399039

and it felt safe.

I made the mistake of ordering pepper sauce with my Sirloin Steak and Chips. Sauce in Europe is gravy.................... so I had steak and chips and gravy.

Stunning place. Reminds me of Germany only with the same sense of space as the US.

Deffo go again.
My other half is a native so we go to Poznan a lot and there is a lot of artisan beer kicking around which is a nice compliment to the local kielbasa (sausage).

Did you stay or go to the Brovaria hotel in the market Square? Brews it's own ales but is quite expensive.

Malta lake is also a pleasant place to mooch around on a sunny day although it's a bit of a trek by foot.

If you get a chance to pop up to Cytadela (war museum) on a future trip go on a Saturday as it's free entry then. There is a cemetery there that has Soviet, Polish and a small section for British and commonwealth troops. The latter two being kept in pristine condition.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My other half is a native so we go to Poznan a lot and there is a lot of artisan beer kicking around which is a nice compliment to the local kielbasa (sausage).

Did you stay or go to the Brovaria hotel in the market Square? Brews it's own ales but is quite expensive.

Malta lake is also a pleasant place to mooch around on a sunny day although it's a bit of a trek by foot.

If you get a chance to pop up to Cytadela (war museum) on a future trip go on a Saturday as it's free entry then. There is a cemetery there that has Soviet, Polish and a small section for British and commonwealth troops. The latter two being kept in pristine condition.

I was there on business unfortunately so got to see the inside of meeting rooms.....

I was there on business unfortunately so got to see the inside of meeting rooms.....
Well there is always a next time. I have just realised you were staying not far from ours going by your first pic, the hotel opposite the library, ryzmski I believe.

Yes the trams are pretty damn noisy, especially with us having to have the windows open during these hot nights.

I was born in London. My parents were born in what was Eastern Poland and what is now Belarus. Their parents were born in Tsarist Russia, in a part that was previously the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. I do not revendicate my ancestral home.
I do appreciate that. It seems that KGB'er doesn't . Does he realise Soviet Russia is also gone?

Well there is always a next time. I have just realised you were staying not far from ours going by your first pic, the hotel opposite the library, ryzmski I believe.

Yes the trams are pretty damn noisy, especially with us having to have the windows open during these hot nights.

I hadn’t realised Chopin was from Poznan.

Just saying. Bit of culture like.

And henrik Gorecki (can’t spell his surname). He was Polish

He’s good

Of course you are Sergey, of course you are.
I haven't written anything special. Russia is captured by oligarchs and thieving gang of corrupted officials.
As for freedom of speech then I'm its unconditional supporter.
It's freedom of thought you appear to have a problem with.

That & a free Poland - you know; the Poland attacked & occupied by Russia in 1939...

I've been reliably informed Chopin was from near Warsaw. Not sure why he has a park in Poznan.

TBF up until now I thought he was French...

I do appreciate that. It seems that KGB'er doesn't . Does he realise Soviet Russia is also gone?
I'm Polish only on 1/4
1560817536772.png

WLADYSLAWA SZWARCEWICZ (maiden surname KONOWALCZIK) was born in 1887 in the Polish village of Pleszkuny (now it is in Belarus). She is my GandGranmother. Her daughter Malwina is my Grandmother.

1560818026512.png

She with other Poles resettled to Siberia (Tomsk area) to the lands granted by the state. My GrandGrandFather (also from that village) died early and in 1923 my GrandGrandMother with her 3 children were granted Polish citizenship.

The Soviet Union was a continuation of Tsarist Russia, which was a continuation of Muscovy. The current neo-Tsarist Russia is a continuation of them all. “Plus ça change .......” .

I'm Polish only on 1/4
View attachment 399317

WLADYSLAWA SZWARCEWICZ (maiden surname KONOWALCZIK) was born in 1887 in the Polish village of Pleszkuny (now it is in Belarus). She is my GandGranmother. Her daughter Malwina is my Grandmother.

View attachment 399318
Lithau
She with other Poles resettled to Siberia (Tomsk area) to the lands granted by the state. My GrandGrandFather (also from that village) died early and in 1923 my GrandGrandMother with her 3 children were granted Polish citizenship.
informative. Now Vilnius and environs went to Russia under the third partition of 1795 and was techincally Lithau and it figures that it is now BeloRus that came originaly from Novgorod. two things obtain (1) I take it you mean great grandfather, Ur grossvater
(2). did the family obtain Polish citizenship in 1923. This would have meant post Versailles

In that time-honoured Muscovite tradition.
No, Poles from the village who didn't have own land proposed to settle in Siberia and were granted lands.
There were 80 Polish families in the village of Polozovo. It was mixed Polish/Ukrainian village where my Father (future colonel of KGB) was born. Btw, 2 relatives of my Gradmother were executed in 1938 as 'members' of Polska Organizacja Wojskowa.

informative. Now Vilnius and environs went to Russia under the third partition of 1795 and was techincally Lithau and it figures that it is now BeloRus that came originaly from Novgorod. two things obtain (1) I take it you mean great grandfather, Ur grossvater
(2). did the family obtain Polish citizenship in 1923. This would have meant post Versailles
Yes, my Great GrandMother and 3 her children (including mt Grandmother) were granted Polish citizenship in 1924. I requested respective document from archives

1560857279266.png

в польское гражданство (in the document) = into the Polish citizenship.
However, my Great Gandmother had house, land, a cow, a lot hens. Only far relatives remained in the village where she was born near Wilno. So she with children remained in Siberia along with her numerous relatives.

Latest Threads