The Polish Mindset

What 2 nations were the most brave, courageous, and able to fight until the end during WW2?

• The British

Votes: 63 70.0%
  • Americans

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • The French

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Poles

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Germans

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Italians

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Russians

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
It is a very good post in many respects.
1) The poll options also didn't include Hungary, Croatia, Slovakia, India, Belgium, Nethrlands and of course Luxemburg. Denmark and Czech are also not included. I have forgotten to mention Yugoslavia with its huge partisan movement. So your remark is absolutely correct and I accept it.
2) Yes, 'from begin to end' point is very important. But from my point of view to regard only countries that the point is applicable to.
3) Absolutely agree.

As for the poll then I hope that respect for 'fair play' principle is deeply embedded feature of the British. Though, you may disagree.
USSR and US were not in from the beginning. Though I did vote for your option Russia as they probably made the greatest sacrifices of all the Allied nations and also because my Maternal Grandfather did a couple of Arctic convoys.

Surely that's got to be the 'the Great XRW War' if we are to believe the XRW combat indicators
against left wing Germany...

having lit the blue touch paper I shall retire to a safe distance

My father was Polish. His greatest regret in life was only being allowed to kill Germans in WW2 and not any Russians.

To suggest any given nation was more brave than another ignores the psychology and as others have said is just silly.

The Japanese were almost ritually sacrificial and negative in attitude about life, the Germans and Russians similarly fatalistic, this is down to the nature of the government and lack of choices that make any struggle one of destruction and conquest... Poland/Greece/Romania were more benign dictatorship and more 19th century in its thinking, which made them obstinance, brave and petty(Teschen) in various measures.

The democracies is where real bravery and courage resided and I would say the Finns would get my vote if this was a serious poll.
Touche...

Couldn't agree more. My (very weak) justification is the statement made by Polish president. The construction of my question includes a quote from the statement.

It should be said that I'm ethnically Polish at 1/4 and my late Father had a lot of 100% Ethnically Polish cousins. So I would like to note that the Polish Mindset has one remarkable feature - irresitable inclination to boast. When I myself realise that I'm boasting then I recall my Polish roots and try to limit myself in this respect.

Recently pres.Trump met with Polish president Duda
Remarks by President Trump and President Duda of the Republic of Poland in Joint Press Conference | The White House

A lot of Poles are living in the UK. Your comments would be much appreciated.
Interestingly Duda's comment's are failry true

we are more brave, more courageous, and are able to fight until the end,
When the average Pole meathead is off his tits on recreational drugs or bootleg Vodka, they have the strength and tenacity to escape plod like 10 men.

Out side of that, the majority are complete pricks.

Hope that helps

I think that the Polish have done remarkedly well considering that God plonked them between Russia and Germany, I am surprised that they still go to church though.

USSR and US were not in from the beginning. Though I did vote for your option Russia as they probably made the greatest sacrifices of all the Allied nations and also because my Maternal Grandfather did a couple of Arctic convoys.
Thank you very much. Now I see that the question in this form is not quite correct mostly because I tried to follow the statement made by Polish resident. However, what should be taken into account to answer the question?
The UK is an excellent aparent example. The fight was from the start to the end. The British didn't surrender and declined all proposition for separate peace agreement. Almost all resources were spent including help to other nations.
But as for the 2d choice then it is not that obvious. Axis powers surrended and there was no more or less significant partisan movement. Namely partisan movement on captured territory shows how brave is a nation, is it ready to fight until the end (even bitter end). Though other factors can be taken into account.

Last edited:
Touche...

Couldn't agree more. My (very weak) justification is the statement made by Polish president. The construction of my question includes a quote from the statement.
Does his name Duda mean bagpipes?

I'll bite.
Brits + Russians.
I would have voted for the germans but i couldn't bring myself to do it. Seeing as they surrendered and all!

In the vote even the Germans got more votes than the Russians!!!

Hahahahahahaha

The Germans were in the Second World War?
I saw the BBC coverage of the DDay commemorations and they surely would have mentioned it? I was led to believe that they were all away on holiday or something and it was mysterious creatures called "Nazis" who took over Germany at the time and had nothing to do with Germans nowadays.

In 19th cetury Poland as an independent country didn't exist. But Polish language, Polish culture, Polish self identification existed. Polish speaking, Roman Catholics that identified themselves as Poles were regarded as Poles. And their descendants are ethnically Polish in this context. Some of them could be atheists and have Russian or English as a native language but ethnically they remain Poles frquently with specific Polish habits, custom, mindset.
Thanks I’m only to aware of the peregrinations of the Polish centres. The point is their mindset is loaded with old imperial Russian Slavic exclusivity, that was ultimately the touch paper for the Balkan states, that I detect no real difference.

The Germans were in the Second World War?
I saw the BBC coverage of the DDay commemorations and they surely would have mentioned it? I was led to believe that they were all away on holiday or something and it was mysterious creatures called "Nazis" who took over Germany at the time and had nothing to do with Germans nowadays.
The analogy I make is rather like the Blair time, it wasn’t the British it was the Blairites.

In the vote even the Germans got more votes than the Russians!!!

Hahahahahahaha
I'm not surprised. The Germans traditionally, historically good soldiers, brave and courageous and in 1944 the outcome of the war was absolutely clear. But they continued to fight. Though absence of partisan movement in Germany is telling.

Thanks I’m only to aware of the peregrinations of the Polish centres. The point is their mindset is loaded with old imperial Russian Slavic exclusivity, that was ultimately the touch paper for the Balkan states, that I detect no real difference.
No, Polish mentality has deep roots. At time in 16th century Poland and Russia were about equally strong military, economically, politically. Russian tsar Ivan 4th 'The Terrible' instigated so called Livonian war and almost captured territory of modern Baltic states, seriously expanded Russian territory in different directions. But after the death the tsar, after turbulent years Moscow appeared to be occupied by Polish troops. Only in 1612 Polish troops capitulated in Kremlin. But Poland occupied some Russian lands, Smolensk for example. The whole Belarus and modern Ukraine were under Polish rule. Polish mobile units terrorised Russia performing cruel raids deep inside Russian territory.
Lisowczycy - Wikipedia
The Lisowczycy unit of the Polish cavalry received no formal wages; instead, they were allowed to loot and plunder as they pleased. They relied on their speed and fought without tabors, foraging supplies from lands they moved through. The Lisowczycy were feared and despised by civilians wherever they passed and they gained dubious fame for the scores of atrocities they carried out (pillage, rape, murder and other outrages).
After Russian recapture of Moscow, most of the Polish brigands headed to the area of Vologda.
400km to the North from Moscow
On September 22, 1612, the town was captured, looted and burned by the invaders commanded by Colonel Andrzej Nalewajko, who returned in December 13 of the same year. On December 16, Poles burned the Spaso-Prilutsky Monastery, located near Vologda.
On July 10, 1612, Poles captured Belozersk without fight. The town was looted, and its governor fled to Kirillov, hiding in the fortified Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery. Lisowski's men reached the monastery on August 20, but its siege did not begin until December 1612. Since Polish brigands, numbered at some 3000 men, did not have any artillery, they failed to capture the abbey with its stone walls.
Polish brigandes used to kill everybody who saw them not to be spotted. Constant Polish raids were a serious problem and the only method to fight with them was to fight with Polish state. The struggle between Poland and Russia lasted 179 years and in 1791 Poland as an independent state ceased to exist being divided between Russia, Prussia and Austria.

I'm not surprised. The Germans traditionally, historically good soldiers, brave and courageous and in 1944 the outcome of the war was absolutely clear. But they continued to fight. Though absence of partisan movement in Germany is telling.
That has to be the most oxymoronic statement for years.
By 1944 the German army was Bled white, every cripple and his grandson was in the army. With what should a partisan movement be operating? More to the point against what? They continued to fight because there was little alternative. Of course there was no end of Geeermans in the American Army-did you mean those?

Latest Threads