The Police have taken Cascara, and are evacuating all along the line...

HE117

LE
Last edited:

ugly

LE
They would cack themselves if they looked for grenade on e bay!

What the hell happened to any form of reasoned response in the UK?

You know I wonder would we have won WW2 if we had reactions such as that , the Internet and 24 hour News coverage at that time .

If WW2 started tomorrow the UK govt and people would just say, 'meh'

Just for the curious.. this is a US Mk2 practice grenade!

I think the picture is a 'library picture' of "A WW2 grenade"; being reporters, they probably picked the wrong picture.

It was more likely the 36 grenade, there were (and are) a lot of them around. They call it a Mills bomb in the article.

Hmmn

Considering the grenade had a hole in the base and you could see in to it..

A trifle over-reaction perhaps...?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...at-police-station-and-sparks-major-alert.html

... not sure why SO15 got called to this! This is clearly in 11 Reg territory IMHO!

Just for the curious.. this is a US Mk2 practice grenade!
Over reaction by the Telegraph, no doubt about that. As for your humble opinion, it's wrong. The Met employ their own bomb techs (who come under the umbrella of SO15, hence the mention in the report) so don't rely on 11EOD like the rest of the UK. Four Met Explosives Officers have been awarded the George Medal and a number the QGM.

So, what we have is an old boy taking a grenade into a police station, the cops correctly implementing a cordon (100m) and a bomb tech coming along to collect it, take it away and dispose of it. No counter-terrorist units, no panic. In fact its the collective hysteria of the Telegraph and self appointed ARRSE experts that's blown this out of proportion, not the cops.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
What's the point of having resources if they don't come out to play?

HE117

LE
Over reaction by the Telegraph, no doubt about that. As for your humble opinion, it's wrong. The Met employ their own bomb techs (who come under the umbrella of SO15, hence the mention in the report) so don't rely on 11EOD like the rest of the UK. Four Met Explosives Officers have been awarded the George Medal and a number the QGM.

So, what we have is an old boy taking a grenade into a police station, the cops correctly implementing a cordon (100m) and a bomb tech coming along to collect it, take it away and dispose of it. No counter-terrorist units, no panic. In fact its the collective hysteria of the Telegraph and self appointed ARRSE experts that's blown this out of proportion, not the cops.

I do know what (and who) SO15 are thanks... They are not supposed to deal with stray ammunition, which is what this is.. that is an 11 Reg role- even in London...

I do know what (and who) SO15 are thanks... They are not supposed to deal with stray ammunition, which is what this is.. that is an 11 Reg role- even in London...
I appreciate that IEDs are the specific remit of Met Explosive Officers, but clearly, it appears that their purview extends to ordnance as well. I suppose it depends on who's sitting in respective ops rooms at the Yard and Didcot on who deals with these grey area taskings.

HE117

LE
I appreciate that IEDs are the specific remit of Met Explosive Officers, but clearly, it appears that their purview extends to ordnance as well. I suppose it depends on who's sitting in respective ops rooms at the Yard and Didcot on who deals with these grey area taskings.

So, thank you.. My "humble opinion" is not wrong. SO15's purview does not extend to CMD...

but I grant you it all depends who picks up the phone first, and to whom!

So, going back to your original post, what exactly was the over-reaction? Do you think it should be police practice for the desk sergeant to make a determination on the viability of a grenade, or do you think that they should play safe, cordon and get in someone who knows what they're looking at?

Yep they do. Anything within the M25. If 11 Regt take tasks within the M25 it's classed as support to SO15 and is a different op to the rest of the UK.

HE117

LE
Yep they do. Anything within the M25. If 11 Regt take tasks within the M25 it's classed as support to SO15 and is a different op to the rest of the UK.
Well that's changed then...

ugly

LE
I expect regardless of risk real or percieved pplod will have sops that state mandatory deployment of assets to certain key words or phrases. It all goes back to the use it or lose it mentality of senior managers!

I expect regardless of risk real or percieved pplod will have sops that state mandatory deployment of assets to certain key words or phrases. It all goes back to the use it or lose it mentality of senior managers!
As I say, who do you think should determine the viability of a hand grenade? The desk sergeant? The cleaner? The station cat? Or a properly trained ATO / Explosives Officer? I take your point about today's culture of risk aversion - it's infected many aspects of policing, other public services and, probably the army as well, but there's a limit - we don't really want untrained amateurs ******* about with ordnance, do we?

ugly

LE
As I say, who do you think should determine the viability of a hand grenade? The desk sergeant? The cleaner? The station cat? Or a properly trained ATO / Explosives Officer? I take your point about today's culture of risk aversion - it's infected many aspects of policing, other public services and, probably the army as well, but there's a limit - we don't really want untrained amateurs ******* about with ordnance, do we?
It does smack of nanny safety and we all know why but it also shows how little trust is placed in those junior leaders to make grown up decisions without the fear of their career dissapearing in a puff of smoke. It also shows the Home office and ACPO induced state of hysteria which we all must automatically move into when firearms and explosives are mentioned. There seem to be lots of managers but no grown ups with any sense of proportion.
20 years ago it would have been placed in a bucket of sand in the courtyard and the local ATO informed. Yet even 20 years ago plod would send an arm,ed response team to a farm because some (possibly tresspassing) rambler had seen the farmers kids potting rabbits with an air rifle. It suits Plod to keep the guns are evil agenda at the top of the press release pile and lets face it lazy reporting ensures that this is repeated verbatim.
Heaven forbid anyone with any experience or common sense should ever hold a position of safety!

Latest Threads