Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The police farce.

I've been told this is gen but I'm waiting for more confirmation. it could well be, considering new police recruits have been leaving due to:
"I didn't know there was going to be so much violence."
"I didn't know I'd have to work nights and weekends."

That’s what happens when you switch off recruiting for a decade, and then over the COVID period, you strong arm Forces into recruiting more than they can cope with.

With the threat of sanctions and recruitment money being turned off if targets aren’t met for political bragging rights.

Sadly Chief Constables have made the wrong decision to accept some people who are unsuitable rather than continue to carry large shortfalls.

Another example of the law of unintended consequences.

Some people were recruited without face to face interviews and with 9 weeks training, much done online.

Massive investment is needed in long and high quality residential training. With those unsuitable being weeded out and properly trained and tested for a difficult career ahead.

FZ9u9mYXEAI8a8t.jpg

I've been told this is gen but I'm waiting for more confirmation. it could well be, considering new police recruits have been leaving due to:
"I didn't know there was going to be so much violence."
"I didn't know I'd have to work nights and weekends."

Friend of mine is a shift inspector. He relates the story of a student officer's mum coming in to see him asking if he could stop their poppet from finishing late so often as they were getting very tired.
And while he was about it, could he arrange for them to go to fewer jobs...and pick up less work...

Another student officer in the same force, dit confirmed by two sources, takes her cuddly penguin with her, on duty. Sits next to her in the car.

Another story of a young officer taking their dad with them to deliver a death message.

These stories are sadly becoming more and more common.

Without wishing to sound like a dinosaur, it used to be a requirement of the job that you were at least a bit robust. Physically and emotionally.

Friend of mine is a shift inspector. He relates the story of a student officer's mum coming in to see him asking if he could stop their poppet from finishing late so often as they were getting very tired.
And while he was about it, could he arrange for them to go to fewer jobs...and pick up less work...

Another student officer in the same force, dit confirmed by two sources, takes her cuddly penguin with her, on duty. Sits next to her in the car.

Another story of a young officer taking their dad with them to deliver a death message.

Without wishing to sound like a dinosaur, it used to be a requirement of the job that you were at least a bit robust. Physically and emotionally.
Have the younger generation really come to this or is it a result as @wetsmonkey says the result of getting numbers not quality? There should be a sad emoji.

Have the younger generation really come to this or is it a result as @wetsmonkey says the result of getting numbers not quality? There should be a sad emoji.
I think its a combination of both. The police recruit from society so will reflect society.
But there is definite pressure to get numbers up.
Edit to add....we are also recruiting much younger, because its an option for a degree.
The average age on my intake 26 years ago was probably 26.
You did occasionally meet someone who had joined at 21, or very occasionally younger, but it was rare.

These stories will always make the press, or social media, because they attract likes and the gammons like to get outraged and indignant.

I remember soldiers parents behaving similarly in the early eighties. As a JL, I remember parents kicking off with Tp staff.

Yes the police recruiting system isn’t as robust or as selective as I would like, however a lot of good people are still getting in.

I think the system is a little skewed towards attracting younger people at the moment and as the saying goes, you can’t put a wise head on young shoulders.

I don't think parents showing an interest in Junior soldiers...who are stil children in most respects is quite the same.

And these are not just clickbait tales, I am hearing them every day. From people I trust. In several different forces.

Hmm, should be a Mr Angry emoji:frustrated:

The offence I believe you are scrabbling around for is:

Nothing to do with thought crimes.

The Royal Green Jacket who was arrested, was given the option of being voluntarily interviewed after caution and contesting the matter, he declined that after having staged a filmed incident with Fox present.

It was a pre planned stunt for publicity.

As I previously said on a number of occasions, it shouldn’t have happened. But the legislation exists, a complaint was made, he was given the option of a voluntary interview, he declined in favour of a filmed outrage stunt and got himself perfectly legally arrested.

I don't believe thats correct. My understanding was that he was given the option of agreeing to a community resolution /restorative justice outcome (including going on a victim awareness course) and if he refused that, then officers can revert to dealing with the incident through the normal criminal justice process.

as it was, he refused (and Miller and fox appeared to challenge the police about their actions) At this point the police decided to arrest.*

However - the big question there is the necessity of the arrest. it was given at the time as 'prompt and effective investigation of the offence'. The obvious challenge to that is that police had ALREADY deemed that this was not worthy of arrest, or indeed further investigation, by their willingness to dispense of the matter through community resolution. (I'd also challenge that on the facts of the case as known the communications act offences were clearly not fulfilled from the outset - and no reasonable officer could believe so - either on a test of "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character" or "for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false" (ie bomb hoaxes))

and of course thats before the question of duress and the insidious nature of policing non-crimes that was already highlighted in Millers previous legal challenge, the unreasonable and disporoportionate use of state powers to in breach of article 10(1) rights

in addition, this was this was not the first time they had spoken to him in order to try and persuade him to agree to a community resolution - one could rightfully surmise that 'further action' (including arrest) was being held out as a threat in order to coerce someone into community resolution, and the arrest done as a form of punishment for refusing to agree to this.... In other fields that might be called blackmail.

summing it up, what we saw was Two plod who were 'doing as they were told' ended up caught out by a well prepared (but entirely legal) PR sting, lost face, got embarrassed, and resorted to exerting their Authoritah

*(they also arrested miller for obstruction too, but failed to give necessity for arrest and in any regard his obvious defence is that he was seeking to prevent an unlawful arrest)

Last edited:

I‘d get rid of that one who took their dad to deliver a death message, in fact feck em I’d get rid of the lot of them