Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The police farce.

Maybe the USMC/RM approach of 'Every man a rifleman first' would be the way to approach it (again). If people can pass the requirements of a suitable basic police course then at least you'd know that the bloke behind the counter in the front office can turn out if necessary.

A couple of coppers I've known down the years were real fans of the idea that all officers ought to pull a couple of mandatory shifts on response every month, both in order to keep them grounded and to ensure that response was always properly resourced.

A couple of coppers I've known down the years were real fans of the idea that all officers ought to pull a couple of mandatory shifts on response every month, both in order to keep them grounded and to ensure that response was always properly resourced.
As long as it’s overtime at a football match. Otherwise the paperwork in the Traffic Office will just keep building up.

That was tried at one station I worked back in the early 2000s.

The whole senior management team saddled up to go out and do some warrants or something. They all came back empty handed, except a Chief Inspector who (aside from using a version of the caution from the 1980s) was quite a lad.

He used to talk about his experienced in the 1980s riots when a young PC, and pretty much openly hated the Chief Super and Super*. Was quite open about his rush for promotion being all about the pension, but always remembered where he was from and looked after response.

Had a huge amount of respect for him.

It is so rare for people to bother about reality, I laughed when I turned out to an urgent assistance and piled into someone when in CID. The uniform lads were quite amazed to (a) see a CID officer and (b) see one get stuck in. As I pointed out, it was me or no-one else so did they mind awfullly and I would help write it up later. The town I was in was half-way up a valley and a hub for CID not response, and I ended up dealing with a few "collpase in the street", RTC's and general calls for assistance. Not saying I was any good after a decade in CID by that point, but I was another body to help out.

*The Super was hated so much I remember one PC simply saying "****" as he walked past in the canteen. Said Super did nothing, spinless as well as malicious.

For the last at least 5 years, mandatory backfill of response from most other units except CID/Investigations was a daily event to help keep minimum numbers up.

CID/Investigations were busy enough and equally short handed.

You dont want the death penalty under any circumstances. Do you have any other options for punishment that would act as both a deterrent and appropriate punishment for crimes on a terrorist level?
The death penalty for terrorist offences sounds like an attractive proposition to many.

The reality is that the authorities just create martyrs to be revered by their supporters as heroic fighters who willingly gave their lives for the cause and that eventual victory that is just somewhere around the corner and which has been brought just that little bit closer by their heroic sacrifice for the cause.

If a terrorist is caught after committing atrocities, particularly murder, publicise their trial showing the world the details of their victims and how their lives were viciously cut short by the actions of these criminals, lock them up, throw the key away and forget about them.

Let them rot in obscurity.

Some terrorist nutters would actually smile and be happy as they were walking to the death chamber in the knowledge that they were securing their place as legends to the cause for perhaps hundreds of years to come.

Locking them up and letting them live behind bars as they become old and infirm is denying them that satisfaction and at the same time demonstrating to the world that we actually do behave morally and correctly when it comes to the sanctity of human life.

The exact opposite of the murderous scum that are now sitting in a cell admiring the sky through a small barred window.

The death penalty for terrorist offences sounds like an attractive proposition to many.

The reality is that the authorities just create martyrs to be revered by their supporters as heroic fighters who willingly gave their lives for the cause and that eventual victory that is just somewhere around the corner and which has been brought just that little bit closer by their heroic sacrifice for the cause.

If a terrorist is caught after committing atrocities, particularly murder, publicise their trial showing the world the details of their victims and how their lives were viciously cut short by the actions of these criminals, lock them up, throw the key away and forget about them.

Let them rot in obscurity.

Some terrorist nutters would actually smile and be happy as they were walking to the death chamber in the knowledge that they were securing their place as legends to the cause for perhaps hundreds of years to come.

Locking them up and letting them live behind bars as they become old and infirm is denying them that satisfaction and at the same time demonstrating to the world that we actually do behave morally and correctly when it comes to the sanctity of human life.

The exact opposite of the murderous scum that are now sitting in a cell admiring the sky through a small barred window.
Don't disagree with the sentiment but life needs to mean life.

Anyone who thinks the death penalty stops terrorism, we need to have a little chat about a gent called Sayid Qutb.

Nasser condemned him to death, and realising his mistake pretty much begged Qutb not to put him in the position of going through with it. Qutb went to the gallows, and became the example par excellance for generations.
th-3578408654.jpg

His book, Milestones, is probably one of the most important terrorist books no-one bothers to read.

Getting shot dead never detered nationalist terrorists either, and the right wing have their martyr-complex to rival the Salafi-Jihadists. Even better when it is a sister, right?

Picture3-1.png

Anyone who thinks the death penalty stops terrorism, we need to have a little chat about a gent called Sayid Qutb.

Nasser condemned him to death, and realising his mistake pretty much begged Qutb not to put him in the position of going through with it. Qutb went to the gallows, and became the example par excellance for generations. View attachment 672937

His book, Milestones, is probably one of the most important terrorist books no-one bothers to read.

Getting shot dead never detered nationalist terrorists either, and the right wing have their martyr-complex to rival the Salafi-Jihadists. Even better when it is a sister, right?

View attachment 672940

Deal with terrorism the way the Romans (and us) dealt with rebellion.

Deal with terrorism the way the Romans (and us) dealt with rebellion.
Which adresses my point how?

I get going "fantasy Assad" is quite nice and might seem to "solve" a problem, but until we go the full "England Prevails" and turn HMP Belmarsh into Saydnaya we might to to think a bit deeper.

By the way, estimates were about 13,000 executions in that place, and doesn't seem to have solved the problem for Assad either.

Which adresses my point how?

I get going "fantasy Assad" is quite nice and might seem to "solve" a problem, but until we go the full "England Prevails" and turn HMP Belmarsh into Saydnaya we might to to think a bit deeper.

By the way, estimates were about 13,000 executions in that place, and doesn't seem to have solved the problem for Assad either.

Don't think you've quite grasped how ruthless the Romans were if you didn't take the hint about packing being a PITA in.
They erased contrary cultures off the face of the earth.

Where is the deterrence in your suggestion?
What punishment is there is spending their lives in jail at huge expense, while they continue to cohabit with like-minded terrorists/rapists etc?

Simple answer .. castrate & deport to s**thole of origin with all extended family sans any assets here which should be confiscated, sold & help to pay compo to victims!