The police farce.

begbie

Old-Salt
The biggest problem in this country is the British public, they want policing but don’t want to be policed.
Until the public and politicians decide what they want from the Police in this country, it’s going to continue to be a massive cake and arrse party.

A few years ago I had a bit of aggro on a London bus. I did a code red, requesting TFL for a police assistance.
The reason that you got three cars with six officers is because those calls come out as the bus driver is under attack. If the police controller had known it was two women having a dispute you might have got one officer ten hours later.

A few years ago I had a bit of aggro on a London bus. I did a code red, requesting TFL for a police assistance. This was a dispute between two women.

Maybe your beef is with TFL for over egging the pudding? Some bus calls come in as "driver pressed his panic button / driver under attack".

As for the boats, given the crew is something like 3 or 4, they were probably doing an operation or training thing with another unit. I don't think you could assemble the numbers you suggested if you got every officer scheduled to work that day in at once. It's not a big unit.

Which is a bugger because I wanted to join and they can absolutely pick whoever they want.

Maybe your beef is with TFL for over egging the pudding? Some bus calls come in as "driver pressed his panic button / driver under attack".

As for the boats, given the crew is something like 3 or 4, they were probably doing an operation or training thing with another unit. I don't think you could assemble the numbers you suggested if you got every officer scheduled to work that day in at once. It's not a big unit.

Which is a bugger because I wanted to join and they can absolutely pick whoever they want.
It was always dead mans shoes.

The reason that you got three cars with six officers is because those calls come out as the bus driver is under attack. If the police controller had known it was two women having a dispute you might have got one officer ten hours later.

I told the call handler I had a dispute between two females. I also called them because one of the women said she was going to call the police herself.
I didn’t care, I was getting paid anyway to sit there.

I recall the Supt in charge when the statue of Colston was toppled in Bristol last year, giving an interview on TV after the event. He had LGBT rainbow colours on his epaulettes.

And?

The biggest problem in this country is the British public, they want policing but don’t want to be policed.
Until the public and politicians decide what they want from the Police in this country, it’s going to continue to be a massive cake and arrse party.
Probably the most accurate statement I’ve read on this thread

It was actually positive action policy, not positive arrest. A subtle difference.

There are certainly forces that were operating, and recording, a positive arrest policy

DECF0844-7B97-4B1F-AE7C-0846EEA20E49.jpeg

I was speaking to a retired copper the other day, he said ********* shoving a camera phone in your face causes you to lose concentration as you have to constantly think what you say....

Good point Josh. Cameras and mic's take some getting used to.

I'd like to think I would never get into one of these you tube type situations with the Police. I generally behave myself on the road or in public, and I still have respect for the Police as my default position. Also some experience of "conflict" so I would try to calm things down if I was faced with a bad attitude from the police. Basically say as little as possible and hope they run out of steam. Other than that I don't know.

Testicles. There are something like 150,000 full time coppers, for a population north of 60 Million. If the, "British Public" did not want to be policed, the UK would look like the set of a Purge movie every single day. You wouldn't be able to walk down the street without tripping over a dead copper.

The vast majority of the British Public live very dull, law-abiding lives and only come into contact with police if they are themselves victims of crime. Most citizens have an instinctive respect for police, judges etc - although that is in danger of being eroded - and are perfectly happy to be policed.

Of course, there exists a feral underclass who respect nothing but brute force. But they, thankfully, are still in a minority. And don't think for one moment that the average working class bloke would have a problem if you steamed in and clubbed those idiots like you were drunk, horny Canadians on the first day of Baby Seal Season.

Trying to blame the law abiding majority of this country for the current failure of police, judiciary and(especially)the politicians is disingenuous at best and moral cowardice at worst.

begbie

Old-Salt
Testicles. There are something like 150,000 full time coppers, for a population north of 60 Million. If the, "British Public" did not want to be policed, the UK would look like the set of a Purge movie every single day. You wouldn't be able to walk down the street without tripping over a dead copper.

The vast majority of the British Public live very dull, law-abiding lives and only come into contact with police if they are themselves victims of crime. Most citizens have an instinctive respect for police, judges etc - although that is in danger of being eroded - and are perfectly happy to be policed.

Of course, there exists a feral underclass who respect nothing but brute force. But they, thankfully, are still in a minority. And don't think for one moment that the average working class bloke would have a problem if you steamed in and clubbed those idiots like you were drunk, horny Canadians on the first day of Baby Seal Season.

Trying to blame the law abiding majority of this country for the current failure of police, judiciary and(especially)the politicians is disingenuous at best and moral cowardice at worst.
You’ve got your opinion and I’ve got mine.
I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve stopped people for minor offences only for them to pull the “ haven’t you got any rapists or peadophiles you could be arresting”, card.
These aren’t your regular shit bags but your every day mostly law abiding members of the public.

You’ve got your opinion and I’ve got mine.
I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve stopped people for minor offences only for them to pull the “ haven’t you got any rapists or peadophiles you could be arresting”, card.
These aren’t your regular shit bags but your every day mostly law abiding members of the public.

I've been stopped and restrained by three plainclothes coppers because I resembled a bad lad they were looking for. After a few questions they realised their mistake and apologised. I shrugged and told them it was no drama, they were doing their jobs.

Since there's nothing at all special about me, I venture to suggest a great many interactions between coppers and citizens follow this pattern.

Apart from a few drunken escapades many years ago, I haven’t had many dealings with the police.
Ive had maybe two/ three random checks in 20 odd years of driving. One of them was because I’d finished work at 2 am, and they were probably looking for drink drivers.
I don’t feel the need to give them attitude or get my phone out and start filming them. Apart from anything, that just gets people’s backs up and would delay me further. I’d expect arguing with plod would just make them want to go further in their checks, start checking tyres etc etc.
There’s a bloke on YouTube who has many videos of Surrey police stopping him. He does the usual arm chair lawyer stuff, the “I know my rights” stuff. One of the videos was a simple traffic stop that lasted for 40 minutes.

I’d assume this bloke has lots of time on his hands if his hobby is creating arguments with police officers and posting them online.
Why doesn’t he just get a proper hobby and maybe think about growing up?

Last edited: