The police farce.

you
This, exactly. There are even people whose job is to trawl reports to find extra crimes to record, so afraid are the powers that be of being accused of under recording. As @DrunkenIrish says, you cannot fight the system so when Colonel (Ret) Herbert Knicker-Sniffer writes to the Loamshire Times complaining about the lack of bobbies on the beat in Lower Bottomspank he can take solace in the amount of time recording all these crimes actually takes. I would say 50% of the logs on our filter at any given times relate to "Harassment/Threats" via social media.

Theresa May and the last 11 years of Conservative destruction of the police and the wider CJS will take at least a decade or more to undo.

This, exactly. There are even people whose job is to trawl reports to find extra crimes to record, so afraid are the powers that be of being accused of under recording. As @DrunkenIrish says, you cannot fight the system so when Colonel (Ret) Herbert Knicker-Sniffer writes to the Loamshire Times complaining about the lack of bobbies on the beat in Lower Bottomspank he can take solace in the amount of time recording all these crimes actually takes. I would say 50% of the logs on our filter at any given times relate to "Harassment/Threats" via social media.

Another issue is the complete collapse of the mental health care system. Easily 40% minimum of our calls are MH related. Whether it’s suicidal people, people who’ve committed suicide, people have ‘harmless’ delusions, people having mental health crisis’ and trying to hurt themselves or others or people under section who have been allowed to wander off we’re expected to deal with them all as if we’re the militant wing of the NHS and social services.

Having a 30 minute argument with a chav with a camera is frustrating, when the chav with a camera could simply comply and be on his merry way in two minutes.
One video I saw showed some gimp with a phone telling the copper how he was going to waste his time and continued being difficult.
He should have nicked the scrote for obstructing police in the execution of their duty.

Another issue is the complete collapse of the mental health care system. Easily 40% minimum of our calls are MH related. Whether it’s suicidal people, people who’ve committed suicide, people have ‘harmless’ delusions, people having mental health crisis’ and trying to hurt themselves or others or people under section who have been allowed to wander off we’re expected to deal with them all as if we’re the militant wing of the NHS and social services.
Many of those calls originate from MH/Social services themselves, especially at about 1630hrs and particularly 1630 on Fridays

Many of those calls originate from MH/Social services themselves, especially at about 1630hrs and particularly 1630 on Fridays

It’s ok Op Philomena will fix that. Or probably not because care homes and social services won’t be arsed just like they’re not now and we’ll end up buckling like we always do.

crikey i'm getting flashbacks now, I thought I was done with this.

it's a truly orwellian system and it doesn't look like its changed much since I left. Like has been said a crime is a crime if the person reporting it says its a crime, not if an experienced police officer says so.

I'll give you an example, Man found at bottom of stairs in some flats with head split open broken nose etc. Tells officers at the scene that he was pushed down the stairs by unknown assailant. Reported correctly as GBH.

Next day falls on my lap as Det Sgt Major crime. Assign to my sensible DC who goes to scene. He finds that said stairs lead to a single door, the front door of the victim. Meanwhile I have done a bit of digging on the Victim and found he is being "cared for in the community" and suffers from Schizophrenia often stating he is being followed. Victim interviewed and says he lives alone and all he remembers is that as he left his front door he was suddenly pushed down the stairs, and no there was nobody else in the flat. Did he fall or was he pushed? No evidence to show he was pushed, but more importantly in todays police no evidence to show he wasn't

I tried to get the crime No Crimed (deleted from the system) "no chance sarge victim said he was assaulted" GBH- violent crime, therefore priority, Not solved, bad on crime stats. Ch Supt annoyed. Tied up major crime for most of a morning. That's why your burglary goes to the bottom of the pile

that if someone thinks a crime has occurred it has
It has to actually be a credible allegation of a crime though to be classified. If it is not, it is classified as a Crime Related Incident. No Crime is when a crime has been classified but further investigation with supporting evidence shows that 'no crime' has been committed. Supporting evidence being CCTV footage, independent witnesses or the victim admits that the allegation was false.

It has to actually be a credible allegation of a crime though to be classified. If it is not, it is classified as a Crime Related Incident. No Crime is when a crime has been classified but further investigation with supporting evidence shows that 'no crime' has been committed. Supporting evidence being CCTV footage, independent witnesses or the victim admits that the allegation was false.

Unfortunately credible is a subjective term hence the many arguments I used to have with compliance and controllers as a PC. Bulk of our no crimes are obvious mental health delusions.

Just the same as the fact that a constable cannot be ordered to make an arrest (see, for example, mandatory arrest, ahem, sorry, ‘positive arrest policies’ in cases of alleged DV)
It was actually positive action policy, not positive arrest. A subtle difference.

There are even people whose job is to trawl reports to find extra crimes to record, so afraid are the powers that be of being accused of under recording.
That came about because so many Forces were fiddling the figures, not recording allegations on the CAD, DS's no criming reports because they didn't believe the victim - handy in keeping allegations of robbery down. And then there was the TIC's. Booking a scrote out of prison for the day, taking him to McDonalds, and then getting him to put his hands up to loads of outstanding burglary allegations.

"How did he get out?"
"Through the door when the cleaners came in at 9"
"Seven and a half hours ago? Why did you wait until now before reporting it?"
"Duh... because I can't go home until I report it, of course."

I forget the ward name at Guy's but they were like that all the damn time.

"How did he get out?"
"Through the door when the cleaners came in at 9"
"Seven and a half hours ago? Why did you wait until now before reporting it?"
"Duh... because I can't go home until I report it, of course."

I forget the ward name at Guy's but they were like that all the damn time.
He climbed over the back wall seventeen minutes ago.

How do you know that?

We watched him doing it!

In 15 years in the police, I have never seen a police officer with rainbow laces or epaulettes. The occasional ID lanyard or lapel badge yes.
I recall the Supt in charge when the statue of Colston was toppled in Bristol last year, giving an interview on TV after the event. He had LGBT rainbow colours on his epaulettes.

For something a bit lighter, I was doing some image searching for an article on Victorian Police hangers this morning, and found this Picture, which amused me:
Constable_Apprehending-2.jpg

And to totally steal (What you going to do, call a cop?) a colleagues caption for it:
'What ho ruffian!, prepare to be bonked on thy noggin'

With all due respect to the Police, I think the whole way we Police in this country is reactive rather than pro active. The system just doesn’t seem as effective as it could be.
I’ve seen river boats in London with 15-18 officers on board patrolling the Thames.
Could these resources not be better spent on other things, such as gushing greed officer on board one boat and cross deployed in other areas?
A few years ago I had a bit of aggro on a London bus. I did a code red, requesting TFL for a police assistance. This was a dispute between two women.
Three vehicles turned up, with 6-8 police officers in scene.
One officer resolving the situation would have sufficed.

For something a bit lighter, I was doing some image searching for an article on Victorian Police hangers this morning, and found this Picture, which amused me:
Constable_Apprehending-2.jpg

And to totally steal (What you going to do, call a cop?) a colleagues caption for it:
'What ho ruffian!, prepare to be bonked on thy noggin'
More like PC Smith and DC jones decided to have it out in the yard, on who was going to take WPC Grumblepants to the Xmas Do

We didn't receive any specific training, though in exercises there would often be a phone wielding spoiler.
The approach I've developed to the "I'm filming this" brigade is to say, firstly "So am I" while activating my BWV if not already on and to tell them "I have no problem with you filming, but if you get in my way you'll get nicked for obstruction". Only had to follow through on that threat once.

Couldn't you just pull out a water- pistol and give the tossers a squirt ?

Latest Threads