The police farce.

Good Cops used to give you a clip round the ear, take you home and your old man would give you another.
Does that deter terrorists and serious criminals from offending again?

They used to know who was and wasn't up to no good and it seemed to work just fine. That was when they were a police force not service of course. But what would I know about it eh?
In very large cities? I doubt that there was ever a time when cops knew what was happening in central city areas. And we don’t remotely live in those days now.
However people cling to this rose tinted idea.

That is the balance there has to be between peoples rights and not living in a police state, the were probably less criminals in East Germany.
If you are happy with that, we are as far from a police state as it’s possible to get.

There are YouTube videos by various scrotum heads who go around attempting to carry out a 'first amendment audit' and go around filming things like MOD sites, Police Stations, Prisons, Hospitals, etc. They are aggressive towards Security and Police, demanding their names and numbers but refusing to give their names.
rushing from job to job?

where is this hallowed land with a busy and active Police Farce?
never see them these days - it’s the Invisible socially distanced Arm of the Law
where do you live, Outer Hebrides?

Please allow my point of view - from a 'staff' not frontline role.

Call comes in on 9's. Quick check on the number and it's phoned police 8 times in the past week. Several of those are complaint logs.

Bolshy sounding bloke starts off- sounds like he's reading from a script:

"I want you lot to use these emergency powers and sort this party out thats going on down my street".
Okay. what's your postcode?"
"Never mind that yet-I'll come to that in a minute...I want to know why..."
"Postcode please! I need to know where you are" (I know his address anyway by this stage but still need to verify)
"Don't you shout at me- I'm a member of the public and you have an obligation to listen to me...now under the civil service act I demand to speak to a sergeant now!"
"It doesn't work like that - feel free to lodge a complaint, now where is this party, whats happening and how many people are there?"

"I'm afraid that's a council matter- people are allowed up to 30 people...etc etc"
"(more agitated) Right, whats your name and number?"
"My collar number is12345"
"Whats your name?"
"Youve got my collar number-that will suffice you. Now do you want to take down the council noise nuisance number?"

He then hangs up.

He then made a complaint-which wasn't upheld after the call being listened to and- he was bolshy and overtalking when PSD called him back to explain.
This sort of thing happens multiple times on a daily basis.

Another example - Chardonnay has spotted the woman her ex boyfriend is now seeing out in her car.
Makes an anonymous webform submission stating saw drugs being dealt from the car at X location. Gets a friend to do the same. Guess what happens next....a stop & search at some point.

Fed up with the council not doing anything about your noisy neighbours? No problem, just phone police and say you can hear a domestic going on next door. "Loud music but now I can hear shoutingand it sounds bad".
Police turn up on blue lights to find Mabel and derek have been in bed for 2 hours already and it's likely a hoax call from somebody on the street who had a visits for Covid breach 2 weeks ago...

The general public can be absolute dicks.

Then taking pictures of buildings or public spaces should be an offence, until it is then the police should ignore it because they don't have the power to stop anyone doing it or demand their details.

And the law says ( i believe ) the police cannot infer suspicion from refusing to identify yourself .

"Everything which is not forbidden ( by law ) is allowed" is a constitutional principle found in the English common law. "
If that’s what people want, then so be it.
Let criminals operate with impunity to recce, prepare and logistically equip themselves up until the point that they actually embark on committing the crime.

Don’t stop them and ask what they are doing or try and discourage them by first guessing or disrupting their preparation.

A bit like cold callers in an area who are knocking doors and nosying. They aren’t breaking the law but turning up and interrupting them let’s them know that we know.

This time last week my force was, in some districts, running a backlog of emergencies into double figures.
Ambulance were also on escalation levels- which means- if your head isnt hanging off..make your own way to hospital - feeling suicidal- a MH practitioner will give you a call back...

There is no parking up and eating donuts from what I can see.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
In very large cities? I doubt that there was ever a time when cops knew what was happening in central city areas. And we don’t remotely live in those days now.
However people cling to this rose tinted idea.
Yes, Birmingham is such a small place, you're right. Everybody knows each other. I'm out.

Between 20:00 and midnight once the lambrini kicks in - the force online mailbox starts to fill. It will be in triple figures by around 23:00.
An average submission (and im not exageratting) is like this:

Its a proforma and there are different ones for different things / drug dealing / anti-social behavior etc.

DETAILS OF THE INCIDENT- "Drug dealing"

WHERE & WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN- "The other day between anywheresville and chavtown.

DETAILS OF ANY VEHICLES INVOLVED- "There was a blue one, but it might have been black...it was dark at the time"

DESCRIPTIONS OF PEOPLE INVOLVED- "A bit taller than me"

The same person will likely follow up with an "and another thing" webform - saying the car seen might have actually been Dark red because they've checked on google earth and there's a Dark red car that looks similar that parks around where whatever happened.

All this crap acrtually has to be checked and logged / intel submitted. I'd say 95% of it is actually useless but - it still ties somebody up cross-checking and sifting it for nuggets of anything useful.

This is another part of the reason why policing is fecked.

Online vehicle registration checkers need to be dialled in too.

"Theres a car parked outside my house thats suspicious"
"Whats suspicious about it?"
"I've not seen it before and its parked where I normally park".
Get details and quick check on PNC...
"If its not causing an obstruction then there's nothing we can do, that car is of no police interest"

"But I've just checked online and its saying its untaxed and SORN and got no MOT and..."

"I can assure you-everything is in order with the car"
"But the website says..."

Please allow my point of view - from a 'staff' not frontline role.

Call comes in on 9's. Quick check on the number and it's phoned police 8 times in the past week. Several of those are complaint logs.

Bolshy sounding bloke starts off- sounds like he's reading from a script:

"I want you lot to use these emergency powers and sort this party out thats going on down my street".
Okay. what's your postcode?"
"Never mind that yet-I'll come to that in a minute...I want to know why..."
"Postcode please! I need to know where you are" (I know his address anyway by this stage but still need to verify)
"Don't you shout at me- I'm a member of the public and you have an obligation to listen to me...now under the civil service act I demand to speak to a sergeant now!"
"It doesn't work like that - feel free to lodge a complaint, now where is this party, whats happening and how many people are there?"

"I'm afraid that's a council matter- people are allowed up to 30 people...etc etc"
"(more agitated) Right, whats your name and number?"
"My collar number is12345"
"Whats your name?"
"Youve got my collar number-that will suffice you. Now do you want to take down the council noise nuisance number?"

He then hangs up.

He then made a complaint-which wasn't upheld after the call being listened to and- he was bolshy and overtalking when PSD called him back to explain.
This sort of thing happens multiple times on a daily basis.

Another example - Chardonnay has spotted the woman her ex boyfriend is now seeing out in her car.
Makes an anonymous webform submission stating saw drugs being dealt from the car at X location. Gets a friend to do the same. Guess what happens next....a stop & search at some point.

Fed up with the council not doing anything about your noisy neighbours? No problem, just phone police and say you can hear a domestic going on next door. "Loud music but now I can hear shoutingand it sounds bad".
Police turn up on blue lights to find Mabel and derek have been in bed for 2 hours already and it's likely a hoax call from somebody on the street who had a visits for Covid breach 2 weeks ago...

The general public can be absolute dicks.
Meh, it keeps you in a job, quit whining :twisted:

Meh, it keeps you in a job, quit whining :twisted:
I'm more than aware it does. From my point of view though - wrt this thread subject -
Meh, they sift through the dross and prevent Aftab turning into pink mist...quit whining!

Let me give you a quick run down of my last ten-hour shift.
Can't recall Mon or Tuesday, but one these days I did get Burger & Chip for lunch!

Wednesday , up six ish no breakfast at work 06:30 on site 07:15
Cup of tea provide by cleint, job jobbed..
Diverted to collect a replacement item & take it to another job
in the office at 14:30 leave at 18:30 ish

No breaks no lunch & a load of mongs on the phone

Thursday, Up at 6 ish had breakfast of a glass of orange cordial & foxes triple bar
On site 7am,
10ish had a cup of tea made for me.
14:00 purchased a bottle of water from a shop
17:00 leave to go home have red hot can of fanta that been in a vehicle all day

No breaks no lunch & a load of mongs on the phone

Friday, up late at work 8:00 ish, **** off to cafe 08:45 full English
on site 09:15 chase around until I reach the conclusion its too hot & call it day at 15:30
Cold drink from customer, bottle of water from a shop

Today at work 12:00 leave 16:00 moved stock, removed lettering from van ect...

There's site work to do on Sunday, I will buy something from a tesco express on route or go without

Self employed partner, there are staff but most days my plans are knacked them or the cleints

When you're in London and- you've just witnessed someone get a bit stabby and - you're in a immdeiate danger also - and phone 999, ask for police and...the operator comes back to you every 15 seconds saying "please hold-still trying to connect you" - The police will have maybe 10-20 999 calls on the go at that moment. Probably around 3 of them will have been genuine emergencies- the rest just frustrated w@nkers reporting a neighbour for COVID breach or - after the beer has kicked in - chasing up an update on a crime that was logged 4 years ago.
Rinse & repeat throughout the country.

Latest Threads