The police farce.

As soon as he said “I’m not obliged to give you my details am I” they should have smashed him with their batons

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
This deserves it own thread
As a retired copper I will just say it’s unbelievable and wtf was happening at HQ let alone Divisional level?

Well, arguably this aspect of the so-called social contract has eroded significantly.

The deal is supposed to be that people pay taxes, obey laws and surrender their arms in exchange for the State supplying policing and criminal justice, and protecting the lives and property of the people.

The problem is that, nowadays, the State is perceived to be no longer capable of delivering on its side of the deal (the "social contract"). Crime is patently out of control, and in many categories people feel that they and their property are no longer adequately protected.

In fact, there is a perception that the State has developed a tendency to lash out at the law-abiding victims of crime, as it is increasingly incapable of dealing with the criminals themselves.

Policing and the law itself operate through the consent of the people. That worked well through a couple of centuries of stable British society. Unfortunately we are now in an era of rapid social change, and the State is increasingly divergent from its people. If you take the thousands of reader comments about the motorcycle story as your typical vox populi, then you can see how big the gulf is on the issue of criminal justice.

Indeed, and to extend that a little I would much rather that the powers that be took care of miscreants. I have no desire to start chasing down scrotes myself with the aim of dishing out people's justice. I haven't done that to date and don't imagine that I will ever feel I will have too, but perhaps some do.

It really is for the authorities to somehow regain any lost trust, I'm sure that most of the population would be happy to leave this undoubtedly difficult job to them, if they felt this was the best way forward.

This is made doubly difficult in that losing trust is a whole lot easier than regaining it. I hear the pain of those that say there is a ton of paperwork and process involved in lifting someone for even a minor offence, so much so that it hardly seems worth the effort. Well I think it must be acknowledged that some of the outrageous criminal behaviour and attitudes of some sections of the Police in days gone by have contributed to this, and so now the public and courts need to see proof of every detail and that due process was followed to the letter.

The idea that as a trusted pillar of the community, a Policeman's word would be accepted at face value as his bond are long gone. Corruption is corrosive wherever it appears. That is not the fault of the good and genuine Officers or course, they have to suffer the sins of those who came before them. Not fair no, but sadly necessary.

Prior to the swingeing cuts of The May Era, which lasted for most of the decade, forces employed a large team of civilians, in an office role to make sure that their organisation was Crime Recording compliant. This involved knowing Home Office Crime Recording Standards inside out and spending their days coming through all incoming reports to ensure that they were correctly recorded.

CCs were then faced with huge budget cuts, deciding whether to retain back office functions or frontline cops was the dilemma. In most cases frontline cops were the option, and quite rightly so.

The fallout from that, was that the additional job of crime recording was given to frontline cops. Without the in depth knowledge and training, some forces didn’t adapt well and fell foul of data inspections.

It would appear that GMP didn’t adapt well and The CC did the honourable thing. This however isn’t something that other forces don’t struggle with.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
If they are illegal outside of private land then why are they still being imported ?

Cos like many things, it's not illegal to import them. It's not illegal to sell them. It's not illegal to own them. It's just illegal to use them! We can't put barriers in the way of free enterprise now can we :rolleyes:

And you can't use them, oh but you can if you use a hire one....you can't use them on pavements, unless the road isn't safe in which case you can use the pavements. Another government f*ck-up!

Indeed, and to extend that a little I would much rather that the powers that be took care of miscreants. I have no desire to start chasing down scrotes myself with the aim of dishing out people's justice. I haven't done that to date and don't imagine that I will ever feel I will have too, but perhaps some do.

It really is for the authorities to somehow regain any lost trust, I'm sure that most of the population would be happy to leave this undoubtedly difficult job to them, if they felt this was the best way forward.

This is made doubly difficult in that losing trust is a whole lot easier than regaining it. I hear the pain of those that say there is a ton of paperwork and process involved in lifting someone for even a minor offence, so much so that it hardly seems worth the effort. Well I think it must be acknowledged that some of the outrageous criminal behaviour and attitudes of some sections of the Police in days gone by have contributed to this, and so now the public and courts need to see proof of every detail and that due process was followed to the letter.

The idea that as a trusted pillar of the community, a Policeman's word would be accepted at face value as his bond are long gone. Corruption is corrosive wherever it appears. That is not the fault of the good and genuine Officers or course, they have to suffer the sins of those who came before them. Not fair no, but sadly necessary.

Is it the police we should be looking at, or the Criminal Protection Service? I do wonder if the CPS is not to blame for a lot of the flack that is aimed at the police. The police just gather evidence (and calm everything down on the night), it's the CPS who look at the case and decide who catches what charge.

The E scooter menace,

This from one of the local news sites,

Police say how much you could be fined for using an e-scooter | Harrow Times

So why are the police ( the Met especially) doing sweet FA about them?.

Nothing to do with the face that a high proportion of those riding them are of a certain demographic?. Oh, no sir, not at all.

Oh very highly illegal, it counts as a motor vehicle and needs a helmet and insurance. But no one seems to want to do anything about it. It leads to a farcical situation where I'm sitting there dishing out an FPN for someone cycling in a PSPO area which bans bikes as its pedestrianised and full of little old ladies doing their shopping, and some twunt on a electric scooter comes whizzing past at vastly higher speeds, with no safety gear, reflectors, lights (or even sometimes bloody brakes!) on his egg whisk, and nothing is ever done. This leads to the bloke getting slapped with the FPN getting arsey and feeling hard done by.

They like electricity, taser the lot of them.

[sensible head on]
Part of the problem for the council is if they introduce legislation to ban them, they can't enforce (as it's legally a moving vehicle) and even if they could they'd have trouble separating the legitimate use of mobility scooters from a chav on a powered skateboard. It's very hard, legally, to split the two.

Cos like many things, it's not illegal to import them. It's not illegal to sell them. It's not illegal to own them. It's just illegal to use them! We can't put barriers in the way of free enterprise now can we :rolleyes:

And you can't use them, oh but you can if you use a hire one....you can't use them on pavements, unless the road isn't safe in which case you can use the pavements. Another government f*ck-up!

We have seen this year just how quick decisions and legislation can be put in to effect if the political will is there. It would be a quick win for the HO. Likewise for drones, a single approved , monitored importation route should be in place so interested agencies have an easy reference on numbers, geographic spread and owners to track in the event of their use in anything other than their intended use

Last edited:

Chef

LE
The DI’s comments reinforce that the law is applied consistently and, despite the activity of the individual at the time he had a right not to be the victim of further crime. I would judge the comments to be fair and proportionate
I feel that both yourself and @Fiona_TG make valid points. It would, perhaps, have been more consistent to refer to both people as 'Mr Surname'.

As for your opening sentence how was the law applied consistently during the BLM demos during the lockdown?

I feel that both yourself and @Fiona_TG make valid points. It would, perhaps, have been more consistent to refer to both people as 'Mr Surname'.

As for your opening sentence how was the law applied consistently during the BLM demos during the lockdown?
I’m not going to comment on the policing of the BLM demos as I wasn’t there and I do not believe the coverage that either side produced was impartial enough to make an informed judgement.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
If they are illegal outside of private land then why are they still being imported ?

It just goes to show how ineffective the so-called powers to be are. They should be seized en masse from whoever is importing them, and there needs to be mass seizure of them on the streets with fines, etc handed out.

I see cnuts on them on the pavements, in shopping centres and railway stations, as well as on the road. Nick the cfuking lot.

We have seen this year just how quick decisions and legislation can be put in to effect if the political will is there. It would be a quick win for the HO. Likewise for drones, a single approved , monitored importation route should be in place so interested agencies have an easy reference on numbers, geographic spread and owners to track in the event of their use in anything other than their intended use
It also relies upon people obeying the laws in place and for sufficient penalties to make breaking those laws a deterrent. We've seen enough evidence with BLM and XR protests and Covid laws being totally ignored with little action taken that this will go the same way. Don't get me started on the two-wheeled cnuts turning every footpath into a cycle lane - the Lycra-wearing w@nkers. Grrrrrr.

Love to find out the story! His shoes would be easy to ID.