The police farce.

I think this is vastly overstated. Nobody in Iraqi is holding up Saddam Hussein as a martyr even amongst former Baathist party members and his own tribe. The sole surviver of the Bombay attacks sponsored by the Pakistani ISI went to the gallows in India. Nobody in the islamic world seems to be celebrated him as a martyr. You might think the ISI would do that as he was a Pakistani, but they just wrote the whole group off as being pawns who achieved what the ISI wanted them to do.

I think the Americans have executed at least one terrorist in the USA as well.
It might be different if “the infidel“ carries out the execution though.
I think it would be better if we just banged them up for life in the same conditions .hook hand has in USA.

Well how do they get around the problem of blowing themselves up into bits then:???:
Religious beliefs ( rolls eyes)

We had a Chinese FME, force medical examiner ( a GP who gets paid to be called out to examine persons in custody and to pronounce 'life extinct') This one would not touch a body that was cold, even with latex gloves (which were all but the ones in rooms with the heating on.... which tended to be smelly) At a Sudd Death I lied because I had other things to do besides sit next to a deceased all day. I have no idea what she called me when she touched the body but I am sure it was not complimentary, and it went on for over a minute with hardly a pause for breath or variance of volume, quite impressive, she missed her calling as an RSM.

With an emphasis on SENIOR officers doing a tour on a regular basis.
One of the problems is that there is an us and them attitude that prevails and senior officers think they are too important and the front line is unimportant. Working conditions are ignored and the all-important public order training is ducked, so when the wheel comes off there are headless chickens in the roles of Gold and Silver command.
Three fine examples of this are Broadwater Farm (no one was in charge - official), Brixton (senior management akin to rabbits caught in the headlights), and the Poll Tax Riot (unsure what to do, senior management did nothing until my boss, former head of the public order branch, got South Norwood's Area Car to 'blue-it' to the scene and took it upon himself to evict the elected gold and silver and run it himself, which probably saved lives).
Was at all 3 and can confirm that they were total clusterflucks. Poll tax riot we were 4-12 area reserve and blue lighted from Bow as soon as we came on duty. Meanwhile there were a load of level 1 carriers parked up in Downing Street that Gold would not release.

I don't think Harlesden will ever be regarded as a legendary run ashore.

Oh I dunno mate, back in the 70's I had a fair few good weekends in Harlesden. I used to go out with a lass from there.

Was at all 3 and can confirm that they were total clusterflucks. Poll tax riot we were 4-12 area reserve and blue lighted from Bow as soon as we came on duty. Meanwhile there were a load of level 1 carriers parked up in Downing Street that Gold would not release.
Some of our lads at the station I was at at the time were on level 3 aid at the Poll Tax riots manning the barriers at the time. They were all going down while level 2 and TSG were stood by raring to to kit up and get stuck in but as you say, Gold would not release them. There was a lot of sh*t about that with threats to sue as a high possibility of violence was forseen due to intelligence gathered. I think that if it had happened 10 years later Gold might have faced a HSE prosecution.

TamH70

MIA
Comfort animal? That has got to be made up...Shirley?

Dunno. What l do know is my spirit animal is Hello Kitty in full Crusader Knight gear mit shield and BFO sword.

TamH70

MIA
Which adresses my point how?

I get going "fantasy Assad" is quite nice and might seem to "solve" a problem, but until we go the full "England Prevails" and turn HMP Belmarsh into Saydnaya we might to to think a bit deeper.

By the way, estimates were about 13,000 executions in that place, and doesn't seem to have solved the problem for Assad either.

He would be just another dead Arab dictator, like Hussein or Gadaffi, if Putin wasn't propping him up with his best troops and weaponry.

Some of our lads at the station I was at at the time were on level 3 aid at the Poll Tax riots manning the barriers at the time. They were all going down while level 2 and TSG were stood by raring to to kit up and get stuck in but as you say, Gold would not release them. There was a lot of sh*t about that with threats to sue as a high possibility of violence was forseen due to intelligence gathered. I think that if it had happened 10 years later Gold might have faced a HSE prosecution.
They didn't hide behind OSA? (Senior management knew about a post office raid in New Addington before it happened, but sat on it... RIP PS Derek Robertson… OSA got wheeled out along with doubts about the source, who was solid.)
The Wapping Riot was similar, mounted and Level 2 DSUs in the rear, SPG in raincoats and beat helmets stood at the front, no shields, collecting bricks, bottles, and cast iron railing spikes.
There were two Joneses that night, DAC Wynn Jones (The only man in the Met with a wooly pully, brought it with him from Thames Valley... took it with him into early retirement shortly after when it became known he received all expenses paid luxury holidays from a villain.)
Ch Supt Ron Jones A9 (SPG).

DAC Jones did nothing, even when PCs and WPCs were getting brained, so the junior Jones uttered some choice words in his radio to the senior Jones before switching it off, drawing his stick, and leading a charge he had requested, but senior Jones had denied. Chased them all the way down The Highway, and they didn't come back that night. Most fun I'd had in ages , ended up with some 1, 3 and 8 Unit officers (I was 4 Unit) for a couple of hours until we were relieved.

Last edited:
They didn't hide behind OSA? (Senior management knew about a post office raid in New Addington before it happened, but sat on it... RIP PS Derek Robertson… OSA got wheeled out along with doubts about the source, who was solid.)
The Wapping Riot was similar, mounted and Level 2 DSUs in the rear, SPG in raincoats and beat helmets stood at the front, no shields, collecting bricks, bottles, and cast iron railing spikes.
There were two Joneses that night, DAC Wynn Jones (The only man in the Met with a wooly pully, brought it with him from Thames Valley... took it with him into early retirement shortly after when it became known he received all expenses paid luxury holidays from a villain.)
Ch Supt Ron Jones A9 (SPG).

DAC Jones did nothing, even when PCs and WPCs were getting brained, so the junior Jones uttered some choice words in his radio to the senior Jones before switching it off, drawing his stick, and leading a charge he had requested, but senior Jones had denied. Chased them all the way down The Highway, and they didn't come back that night. Most fun I'd had in ages , ended up with some 1, 3 and 8 Unit officers (I was 4 Unit) for a couple of hours until we were relieved.
You are Gene Hunt, and I claim my five pounds.

I do like the savagery of the post.

By any chance, you ever worked in a morgue? Or are you merely the mirror of the savages of ISIS?

My bold it was part of our job in the NRP to have to attend PM's on sudden/suspicious deaths. It was something normally delegated to newbies as it was, in most peoples minds, a smelly and unpleasant job, especially when the ME called you over to look at a bit of interest for one to make a note of. As explained in my thread, it put me off eating meat, especially offal for weeks and was the only time I smoked to hide the smell even fresh corpses have!

Where is the deterrence in your suggestion?
What punishment is there is spending their lives in jail at huge expense, while they continue to cohabit with like-minded terrorists/rapists etc?
The sophisticated view of crime is its simply unfair to punish the individual. He/She are products of a failure in society and as such, we all let those people down and its the victims fault for putting temptation in their way. Releasing criminals on his/her tenth chance, is also a chance for society to help these poor and unfortunate people.

Of course what's happened, is they're have simply redefined the job we pay them to do and it neatly avoids accountability for their half century of ever growing failure. The crime statistics or the BCS are both the pinnacle of the process and they're are simply a work of fiction.

By any chance, you ever worked in a morgue?
Back in the 80s, on Z District DSU, we took a suspects-on call to a big old Victorian house in Carshalton. Chummy got nicked coming out of the window and myself and another PC went back to the house when the owner arrived in order to get a victim statement.

He was rather strange, in fact creepy.

It was the house he had grown up in, he lived alone since his mother died, everything was very old, although clean and tidy, and he himself was very chatty because he didn't have any friends. He offered us tea and talked about his hobby and took us into 'The Best Room' (very old fashioned term) to see his display case. Because hip bones sometimes were very resistant to fire at the crematorium where he worked he brought them home and polished them before mounting them in a display case.
He was arrested, then de-arrested after the local duty officer attended, because a deceased body has no protection under existing theft legislation, and the parts had not yet been interred, so exhuming a dead body without lawful authority did not fit the bill.

We did, however, search every room, and the attic, to see if his mother was still sitting in a rocking chair somewhere :skull:, and I can neither confirm nor deny that both of us big brave boys had our sticks out as we did so.

JCC

LE
He was arrested, then de-arrested after the local duty officer attended, because a deceased body has no protection under existing theft legislation, and the parts had not yet been interred, so exhuming a dead body without lawful authority did not fit the bill.

Question: why would you bother arresting? He's hardly likely to run for it and the duty CID? have been tasked to attend?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Back in the 80s, on Z District DSU, we took a suspects-on call to a big old Victorian house in Carshalton. Chummy got nicked coming out of the window and myself and another PC went back to the house when the owner arrived in order to get a victim statement.

He was rather strange, in fact creepy.

It was the house he had grown up in, he lived alone since his mother died, everything was very old, although clean and tidy, and he himself was very chatty because he didn't have any friends. He offered us tea and talked about his hobby and took us into 'The Best Room' (very old fashioned term) to see his display case. Because hip bones sometimes were very resistant to fire at the crematorium where he worked he brought them home and polished them before mounting them in a display case.

We did, however, search every room, and the attic, to see if his mother was still sitting in a rocking chair somewhere :skull:, and I can neither confirm nor deny that both of us big brave boys had our sticks out as we did so.
Duty officer may have been wrong

Question: why would you bother arresting? He's hardly likely to run for it and the duty CID? have been tasked to attend?
Curiously, theft of body parts wasn't something either of us recalled from Hendon/Wanstead, it just seemed obvious that it must be a nickable offence. (and I still don't understand why it isn't at least outraging public decency-ish)... and the guy was well creepy, so, better off cuffed and under control than fetching a fire axe into the parlour :eek:

Duty officer may have been wrong
1982 or 83, I was still a probby.
The 1984 legislation came about after an enquiry found that many undertakers and mortuary staff were making money off the dead. Theft of clothing and watches and jewellery from the deceased, organs, prosthetics for re-sale. Even pathologists and coroners were getting cash from it.

Latest Threads