Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The police farce.

And which act of parliament sets out the penalties for having " a bad character " exactly ?

You obviously don’t know what an MG 16 is and an application to allow Bad Character to be admitted into a court case.

Why would you. Would you like me to google itfor you?

I think if a prolific burglar walked into a house then he will be nicked as in this scenario a cop may arrest any one who he reasonably suspects is about to commit an arrestable offence. I think he may well have those grounds here. Unless the law has changed @wetsmonkey :???:

As opposed to not nicking the drunken next door neighbour who has wondered in by accident. Which is bottomed out by chatting to them and doing some background checks.
Exactly.

There isn't a court case since trespass isn't an offence.

Entering a building as a trespasser with intent to steal is though, amongst other parts of the theft act that relate to burglary.

Proving that intent is helped by introducing evidence of bad character.

Tiger-Monkey2

War Hero
putteesinmyhands said:
Did you never get someone who lied and said he wasn't in the Forces thereby removing all of your additional powers?
Generally not, and I’m not reliant on their say so, only my suspicion.

Generally not, and I’m not reliant on their say so, only my suspicion.

I had this once in Germany. The lad in question certainly looked like a soldier, was in a bar almost exclusively used by soldiers. Claimed he was not in the army . Stated he did not know what an MoD F90 was etc. We arrested him on suspicion of being AWOL. It did not help him that my colleague was a VT and recognised him as a long term absentee from his old regiment.

I'm out, because only a lawyer can get this deep.

As far as I can see the criminal justice act deals with evidence AFTER an offence has been committed, a trespasser hasn't committed an offence so ??

To prove his intent to steal you would have to find evidence of that, tools , bags, gloves, criminal damage , forced entry ect ?

I can't see that previous bad character allows an arrest without an offence actually being committed.

I was under the impression bad character reports got taken into account at the point of sentencing, or at least they have in the cases I've prepared.

Previous Convictions are always used at the sentencing point.

Evidence of Bad Character has to be applied for and agreed by The Judge, it is usually used to show an MO or series or offending that it is felt is relevant to that case.

It evidences a pattern of behaviour or a specific way of offending generally that the suspect would seek to deny or not wish the court to hear.

An example would be the burglar who wonders into insecure houses during the day and steals out of the kitchen. You then catch him in a kitchen and he gives a pony excuse but his bad character indicates otherwise.

I'm out, because only a lawyer can get this deep.

As far as I can see the criminal justice act deals with evidence AFTER an offence has been committed, a trespasser hasn't committed an offence so ??

To prove his intent to steal you would have to find evidence of that, tools , bags, gloves, criminal damage , forced entry ect ?

I can't see that previous bad character allows an arrest without an offence actually being committed.

That’s where a little knowledge is sometimes a bad thing. Intent is purely a state of mind and often difficult to prove, that’s why many get off with it when they are caught in what appears to be a slam dunk position.

Don’t confuse a lawful arrest because a cop reasonably suspects something in order to investigate it with a guilty verdict at court.

I don’t think it’s animosity, more like antipathy based on experience. That doesn’t mean veterans dislike individual coppers but I suspect most see police services as hidebound in self-imposed PC crap.

Note self-imposed

I can be on the settee (yes we have settees!) in our restroom and be sat next to ARV officers using it as a base, other police staff, response officers and other officers doing various roles that sit besides me. Many of those staff / Officers are BAME. When BBC news is on - you would think all assembled were fully signed up members of arrse to hear the comments. There is NO racism in opinions voiced but - the opinions are often not as "huggy fluffy" as many would seemingly presume police to hold.

We also got various emails about the 'taking a knee' etc etc.

Various departments in force I work for are known by acronyms/abbreviations with an 'F' that is Force...not service. I have never heard anyone referring to ours as a service, or being corrected for not doing so.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
To be fair the police's overall reputation has taken a pounding due mainly to London....

Maybe you could organise a big conference and kick the crap out of the Londoners for ruining the reputation of your profession and putting people's lives at risk in normal places?

[
[/QUOTE]

Well that doc changes the entire thing, if that's what the police are working on then they are working on their own policy which specifically says non cooperation is to be taken as suspicion and taking pictures of buildings is hostile reconnaissance.

And at the same time putting out statements that photography is not a crime .

To be fair the police's overall reputation has taken a pounding due mainly to London....

Maybe you could organise a big conference and kick the crap out of the Londoners for ruining the reputation of your profession and putting people's lives at risk in normal places?

Of the 30,000 odd Met Coppers, how many took the knee, that means all The Met are classified as such?

And which act of parliament sets out the penalties for having " a bad character " exactly ?

Maybe you ought to argue the toss with @Ravers and his recollections of a near neighbour having intruders on the land / in the house.

In the situation he posted - quite possible background checks would have shown nothing untoward about registered keepers of the cars seen parked. Also quite possible they could have a marking on PNC that prompted a look l at 'local database' which showed several markers, and offences.

There are no penalties for 'bad character' but - having one could alter police response. If you phone and say your neighbour is having a domestic - and background checks show its Mabel and Wilfred- previous verbal dom for arguing over bingo results- the response will be different than if say it was Chardonnay and Kayden-who has weapons / violence against police markers..in which case- tazer authorized officers are going there.

Edit: Unless you are just playing devil's advocate- your apparent attitude just demonstrates what the police are up against. In your mind- should Bill the burglar (Well recorded) decide to spend an evening doing laps of the area your elderly parents live on, with a 60L rucksack, torch, hood up and pair of nitrile gloves - are you saying he should not be challenged?

Last edited:

Well that doc changes the entire thing, if that's what the police are working on then they are working on their own policy which specifically says non cooperation is to be taken as suspicion and taking pictures of buildings is hostile reconnaissance.

[/QUOTE]

Which indicates to me that cops are trying to do the right thing but are hamstrung by legislation that makes their job very difficult, especially when faced by someone trying to cause a scene and be obstructive.

It also relates to the sections of the terrorism act that she quoted to him in the video prior to searching him