Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The police farce.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This all constitutes burglary. The squatters element complicates things further.

Did the owner put any security measures in place?
What exactly were your expectations of police response?

What would your expectations be if people broke into your house while you were in it?

What would your expectations be if people broke into your house while you were in it?
I'd expect a blue light response but - that's not the situation you described-unless I have misread it.

My understanding of your post is - 2 cars on private land blocking a lane - Council matter.

Possible instance of wild camping- civil matter.

Later turns out they had broken in and etc etc- burglary- police matter.
Tbh, on the face of what you have put-the PCSO should have had a look around. As for the repeated break-ins / squatters whilst the owner was away - were the police called at the time? Were any security measures put in place by the owner?

Green_Homer

War Hero
Having previously worked in a sector of the security industry - there are different 'types' of guards. You have your 1. 'bums on seats type' who are just topping up a pension and want an easy life.
Then there are the 2. 'clipboard & Hi-Viz' types who fancy themselves as being some sort of militia/police in theuir own right. The sort who turn up for a shift to manage parking in a bank carpark wearing a stab vest and belt kit. These are the likely sort who will cause/escalate issues. Often 'apprehending' people / collaring them citing 'health & safety or whatever.

Then you have the 3. switched on types of guards- normally work in prestige establishments and have quite a bit of experience in managing conflict and judging a situation. The problems also arise when you get type 1s and 2s rostered on the same shift as the type 3.

Similar can also be observed when watching how various Council parking enforcement officers act - with a certain demograph falling squarely into the type 1 & 2 category.

@BugsyIV
A well known high street chemist on my old beat used to have a very protective store detective who knew his remit and was excellent at reducing theft.

He left and is now in the police funnily enough. They replaced him with a very useless waste of oxygen who would barely look at a suspected thief. Losses rocketed and they got rid of him - the manager told me they wouldn't replace him because the cost wasn't worth it compared to the losses (which the decent one minimised).

Funnily enough it then imploded with theft with £2-3k per week. It then became our fault that we weren't stopping them despite a) the store not bothering to report it unless one of us walked in and b) them continuing to fail to provide the CCTV

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

For a few weeks we had randoms snooping around our place at night. They’d usually **** off as soon as they realised they were at the wrong place. We left some upstairs lights on every night to show the place was very occupied.

If by that you mean they were INSIDE your house then would be immediate response. If even in your grounds and you phoned police it would be suspicious circumstances-immediate response. You didnt say whether you called police when they were at yours though.

A well known high street chemist on my old beat used to have a very protective store detective who knew his remit and was excellent at reducing theft.

He left and is now in the police funnily enough. They replaced him with a very useless waste of oxygen who would barely look at a suspected thief. Losses rocketed and they got rid of him - the manager told me they wouldn't replace him because the cost wasn't worth it compared to the losses (which the decent one minimised).

Funnily enough it then imploded with theft with £2-3k per week. It then became our fault that we weren't stopping them despite a) the store not bothering to report it unless one of us walked in and b) them continuing to fail to provide the CCTV

Lots of stores now just wait a week and report all shoplifting in one go just to get the crime number.

However if you have old Mrs Miggins walking past witnessing it then you might have more of an argument that their behaviour is likely causing alarm / distress
What happened to the group of nuns who always walked by on their way to prayers who always looked alarmed and distressed when you nicked someone for Section 5 POA. At least they always ended up in your IRB.

Green_Homer

War Hero
Lots of stores now just wait a week and report all shoplifting in one go just to get the crime number.
I lost my rag a little with the manager after an incident whereby a protective staff member tried challenging some massive mountain of a shoplifter. He shoved her out of the way quite hard before walking off with the goods he had just stolen.

I crimed a separate assault on the staff member and a theft for the store and told the manager I would need the CCTV. When she gave her usual disinterested response saying she was too busy to deal with the CCTV of the theft I informed her that it's her perogative re: the theft and if it gets dealt with but I'll seize the DVR unit in order to secure the evidence of the assault if she didn't help.

Green_Homer

War Hero
What happened to the group of nuns who always walked by on their way to prayers who always looked alarmed and distressed when you nicked someone for Section 5 POA. At least they always ended up in your IRB.
They're having to fill in for the penguins at the zoo now due to cut backs. Mrs Miggins gets everywhere mind!

I appreciate that, but any bobby can twist it to say a chap taking photographs is causing alarm and distress to security guards, which we all know is BS.

Terrorism, anti social behaviour, jesus wept!

“Respect muh Authritah!”

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'd expect a blue light response but - that's not the situation you described-unless I have misread it.

My understanding of your post is - 2 cars on private land blocking a lane - Council matter.

Possible instance of wild camping- civil matter.

Later turns out they had broken in and etc etc- burglary- police matter.
Tbh, on the face of what you have put-the PCSO should have had a look around. As for the repeated break-ins / squatters whilst the owner was away - were the police called at the time? Were any security measures put in place by the owner?

I’m not talking about the situations that affected me personally. If I was that arsed I’d just drag the cars into the ditch with the tractor and deny all knowledge.

I’m talking about the owner of a home being repeatedly broken into, including a few times while they were in it, the house being burgled, set fire to and destroyed to the tune of millions of quid and the police doing nowt.

I can only assume reasonably security precautions were in place. It was a 3 million quid mansion after all. I saw one of the (Thankfully not destroyed) chandeliers in a local antiques place recently, they wanted 30 grand for it.

I lost my rag a little with the manager after an incident whereby a protective staff member tried challenging some massive mountain of a shoplifter. He shoved her out of the way quite hard before walking off with the goods he had just stolen.

I crimed a separate assault on the staff member and a theft for the store and told the manager I would need the CCTV. When she gave her usual disinterested response saying she was too busy to deal with the CCTV of the theft I informed her that it's her perogative re: the theft and if it gets dealt with but I'll seize the DVR unit in order to secure the evidence of the assault if she didn't help.

If its a chain of stores- quite often-its just a designated loss prevention officer who does a round-robin of the stores once a week and reports the week's thefts in one go on their visit-to tick their insurance boxes. Quite often the people behind the till have no access / knowledge of how to operate the CCTV - or even know the passwords etc.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Now arrse members are scouring the internet to track down Ravers mansion near the drug barons mansion

Just google Cumbria drug mansion and I’m sure you’ll find it.

The vids on YouTube are worth a watch.

I’m not talking about the situations that affected me personally. If I was that arsed I’d just drag the cars into the ditch with the tractor and deny all knowledge.

I’m talking about the owner of a home being repeatedly broken into, including a few times while they were in it, the house being burgled, set fire to and destroyed to the tune of millions of quid and the police doing nowt.

I can only assume reasonably security precautions were in place. It was a 3 million quid mansion after all. I saw one of the (Thankfully not destroyed) chandeliers in a local antiques place recently, they wanted 30 grand for it.

To be fair mate- you never mentioned he was in it at the time, yiou actually said 'when he returned from Spain he found...'.

Green_Homer

War Hero
If its a chain of stores- quite often-its just a designated loss prevention officer who does a round-robin of the stores once a week and reports the week's thefts in one go on their visit-to tick their insurance boxes. Quite often the people behind the till have no access / knowledge of how to operate the CCTV - or even know the passwords etc.

Oh this was the manager who apparently was "the only one who knew how to work it"

Just google Cumbria drug mansion and I’m sure you’ll find it.

The vids on YouTube are worth a watch.

Above article states the owner lived in it but was forced out do to constant break-ins. That does raise concerns over how police dealt with it but- article also states she did little for the upkeep. Whilst burglary is a crime- people do have some responsibility to secure their premises as well. The police cannot be relied upon to provide 24/7 cover. I think there may be more to this possibly.

Was she advised to install CCTV/ PA/Intruder alarms - and failed to do so? Did the break-ins only come to light the day after when she dared look aroundafter hearing something during the night but had not called police?

Oh this was the manager who apparently was "the only one who knew how to work it"
That's how it normally is. They can't give staff the access because...that then negates their own job!

Children playing / shouting/screaming whilst playing does not come under the 'nuisance' laws though. Thats why people will often elaborate and add a 'concern' aspect... "Thery're always smoking drugs...I can hear arguing..."

I call it on the spot up selling when they aren’t getting what they want.

Upping the allegations to socially engineer their problems with police assistance.

poo_finger

Old-Salt
If by that you mean they were INSIDE your house then would be immediate response. If even in your grounds and you phoned police it would be suspicious circumstances-immediate response. You didnt say whether you called police when they were at yours though.

Immediate response doesn’t necessarily mean a speedy response!
I don’t know what it’s like in your force mate, but we have about 3 response drivers on my shift covering a small city, we work from a centralised hub covering half the county and it can take 30+mins to cover that dependent where you are!

Personally I’ll drive as quick as I can to get to an immediate, but without being blues qualified if I hit traffic etc then I’m not permitted to do anything else but sit in that traffic! (I will caveat that with if there’s an immediate threat to life, then I’ll be doing whatever I can to get to wherever I need to be PDQ and justify it later).

Officers are waiting 2+ years for their blue light chit. Most of us will do the best we can with what we’ve got, but more often than not we’re working with one hand tied behind our back.

Latest Threads