The Pickling Thread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by skintboymike, Jun 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rather than derail the chilli oil thread, I thought this topic warranted one of its own. I've just recently tried pickling chillies (as seen here; http://www.arrse.co.uk/cookery/163728-chilli-oil-2.html
    )
    [​IMG]

I can also report that curried beetroot pickled eggs are an amazing accompaniment to any curry night.
    [​IMG]

When I get home next week I'll post my own recipes on here, as well as substitute the Google images above for my own creations. If anyone has any recipes or ideas worth trying, feel free to post them here (incl pics).

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I'm up for pickling some onions any recipe Ideas ?

3. Well, some onions would be a good starting point.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'd forgotten about this thread; clearly it is destined to rival any and all threads that have gone before it. Not. Anyway, about the eggs; they were lovely. I forgot to take photos, but I don't mind too much as they didn't look as good as the ones in the photo above. I'd left them too long, so the pink/white effect was lost. Hell, even the yolks turned a deeper shade of purple. They did taste lovely though. As for the chillies, they were perfect; I still have half a jar in my fridge, great for snacking on together with guacamole and nachos. I've taken a pic of what's left, I'll upload it whenever I can be arsed.

As for your request for a pickled onion recipe, I can't offer any advice other than to experiment. I boil white wine vinegar with a few tablespoons of sugar and pour it in a large jar, followed by the onions (not silverskin, but preferably quite small), a few bayleaves, a couple of dried chillies and a slack handful of peppercorns. They usually taste best after a month or so, but you can knock a week or two off that time if you stab each onion dozens of times with a cocktail stick to help the pickling liquor to soak in. Try that for starters, experiment with other stuff to suit your taste later on.

5. You do of course salt the onions first.

6. Left overnight after peeling, in salted water is the way.

7. Never tried that, I use a bowl and liberal quantities of salt. The salty oniony liquid produced after 24 hrs is great for curries.

8. Please await NHS police queries regarding your salt consumption.

9. I've tried rubbing salt into the onions and leaving it overnight, and I've tried adding salt to the vinegar at the boiling stage. Either way works fine.

10. They can join the queue then, I've got busybodies queuing up.

11. I've heard that Ord_Sgt has a fine recipe for pickled liver.

12. Better late than never;

[​IMG]

13. I've my mothers 'farmhouse cookery book' somewhere that has a great piccalilli recipe. The house used to smell lovely when she used to make it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bashed out a few jars of green tomato and apple chutney a couple of weeks ago. Currently "maturing" in a dark cupboard. Intend to crack one open in a week of two. If anyway decent, will update if anyone is interested.

15. Shallots not onions. I'm not pickling it's me umberella