The philantropic Mr. Mittal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6268577.stm

A tidy chunk of change, and a very genorous donation from Lord.... ooooops Mr. Mittal.

Good to see foreign businessmen taking an interesting in keeping the wheels of democracy well oiled.

Also good to see that we've all got over the nasty little allegations and slurs of Mittalgate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1818955.stm

The sooner Political parties are funded from a capped public purse, the better. :frustrated:

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Interesting idea public funding. But doesn't that mean loony fringe parties will also have to be funded?

3. Both sides seem to be doing very well at fundraising at the moment. The Conservative Party appears to be pretty much out of the woods as well.

4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

[align=center]"By the time we got to woodstock
    We were half a million strong (££££Kerching!!!!)
    And everywhere there was song and celebration
    And I dreamed I saw the bombers
    Riding shotgun in the sky
    And they were turning into butterflies
    Above our nation
    We are stardust
    Billion year old carbon
    We are golden
    Caught in the devils bargain
    And weve got to get ourselves
    Back to the garden"[/align]

[align=center]Joni Mitchell, 1970

Gotta be superior to 'Things can only get better'...[/align]

5. So we'd have the likes of George Galloway and Ken Livingstone funding the BNP through their income tax. :thumleft:

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Got to be better than the white working class feeling disenfranchised, without a voice, and angry whichever way they lean...

7. Given that Mittal was found to be Britains wealthiest bod, can we not surmise that he now has British citizenship? I ask because I think it is in fact illegal to accept donations from foreign persons

8. Stand by for the rest of the British steel industry to disappear. Nobody gets to be that rich without getting a return on his investments.

9. If one penny of public money is allocated to the funding of caucus politics then we should rise up and say "Enough already, oy you mishgeits" or something equally appropriate and overthrow the government. If people want to play silly buggers then fine, do it out of their own pockets. I don't expect government to fund my life style choices FFS!

10. I thought he didn't have citizenship at the time of Mittalgate?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,,651619,00.html

11. Sorry, didn't realise You meant only at that time

12. Does he have citizenship now?

13. If he does, there's no reference to it that's easily available: Forbes in 2005 has his citizenship as Indian.

14. I had the same problem trying to find details GM_1000,

I woud have thought that one so 'Pro-British' would make no secret of his desire to become a British citizen , or indeed, that he had attained that Nirvana.

After all, another foreign businessman with a corner shop in Knightsbridge makes no secret of his desire to become British.

15. You surely aren't suggesting that he would want to keep a desire for citizenship to himself? What would be the point? After all, it's not like anyone would point to his donation to, and association with, the Labour party as evidence that there might be anything improper going on if citizenship was granted.