The PFA is dead. Long live the PFA!

I don’t know of any female backpackers who carry 40kg on one of their treks in the U.K. Even 25kg is unlikely.
Backpackers on the pub / day hike routes? Agreed. On a long distance path? Yes, unlikely and unnecessary.

Include consumables of food and water for a few days and packing for bad weather and off the beaten track and it's a very different story.

I'm not suggesting it's the norm (rather than "hundreds and thousands ... in the UK and worldwide" that would be "hundreds of thousands", at least) nor am I suggesting that any but a very few of them would have any interest in joining the Army, but it's a far from unreasonable weight for fit women to carry at those speeds over that sort of terrain over those sort of distances. It really isn't 'gladiatorial' or super-fit.

I bet you I know someone who does ^~
Rather sad that you've time to respond to this but not to my post contradicting your 'interpretation' of the MODNET briefing, since the MODNET briefing differs radically from what you've implied ("4km carrying 40Kg immediately followed by 2km carrying 25kg, followed by the other RMTs in quick succession").

Not surprising, but still sad.

Need to rename Naismith's rule to John G's rule.
I think you need to re-read Naismith's rule ..... as well as the brief for tests one and two.

Naismith's rule applies, including by legal definition, to treks over 'varying terrain' and 'hill walking' .....

..... so it applied to the old CFT / AFT (except for the proximity to road legality).

..... it doesn't apply to a short walk or slow jog (4 or 2 kms) over flat easy going ..... which ..... ummm ..... just happens to be what tests one and two are ......

..... oops.

The funny thing is, I haven’t offered an opinion on as to what I think of the tests, yet here I am being given one :)
I'm not commenting on any opinion you may have - just your suggestion that the MODNET brief says that the test is "4km carrying 40Kg immediately followed by 2km carrying 25kg, followed by the other RMTs in quick succession", when that's totally untrue.

A five minute break isn't "immediately" and 3 hours of tests spread over 4 hours isn't "in quick succession".

I think you need to re-read Naismith's rule ..... as well as the brief for tests one and two.

Naismith's rule applies, including by legal definition, to treks over 'varying terrain' and 'hill walking' .....

..... so it applied to the old CFT / AFT (except for the proximity to road legality).

..... it doesn't apply to a short walk or slow jog (4 or 2 kms) over flat easy going ..... which ..... ummm ..... just happens to be what tests one and two are ......

..... oops.
9nohQh4.jpg

Are the new tests for recruits in phase 1 aswell or do they still do press ups and sit ups?
The tests are still in the 'trial' stage, due to be fully implemented in 2019/20.

For those tests that are comparable the standard is roughly 30% lower than the current standard so this should not be a problem for those up to the current standard.

Happy new year all

So, has the old PFA now officially been sh!t canned for ground close combat troops now that we are in January 2019? I heard they do not do them on promotional courses under the new system and it is just the CFT (or AFT now)

Happy new year all

So, has the old PFA now officially been sh!t canned for ground close combat troops now that we are in January 2019? I heard they do not do them on promotional courses under the new system and it is just the CFT (or AFT now)

The PFA hasn’t been allowed as a pass fail on promotion courses for years for the whole army, pity so many people had the inability to read MATT 2 ^~

The PFA hasn’t been allowed as a pass fail on promotion courses for years for the whole army, pity so many people had the inability to read MATT 2 ^~
And yet its still a requirement to get on the courses.

Latest from various groups of RAPTC is that for GCC units it will be in effect from 01 Apr 19, with training already started or starting in Jan 19, roughly 6 months build up before PES testing.

For Non GCC, some confusion and no one direction yet. Most are assuming normal jogging of PFA/AFT, others that it will just be AFT, others that it will be AFT and some aspects of PES. But, in essence, confusion still.

Such a pity courses are still doing them though and getting RTU'D because of it!......clever cloggs ;)
Although doing a swift regain, the rule only applied to courses open to both men and women, therefore, @Localranklsgt I wind my neck in and defer to your valid point.

All though we are transitioning to the new test for GCC, you are correct in your assumption that if GCC role# are now open to females, the PFA should no longer be used as a metric.

Please accept my most humble apologies :)

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Praetorian Army Reserve 51
C Army Reserve 7
AlienFTM The NAAFI Bar 63