The perils of multi-culturalism

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jan 31, 2007.

1. a stupid absolutely unacceptable concept.

2. rather a wrong idea.

3. interesting but unviable model.

4. a right direction of development for the UK

5. should be inforced by law

0 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I rather support this statement.

There is a British culture based namely on Christian values. The idea of multi-culturalism undermines the values, undermines British culture.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

If these are your views, I do, just this once agree completely with you.

An interesting idea but unviable due to, simplistically, human nature.
  3. Sergey

Agree to a point - and that point is the resurgence of Christian fundamentalists, almost as unappealing as their brethren in other religions. I see Britain as essentially post-Christian - based upon Christian values that have been developed over centuries of intra-faith intolerance and violence, but having lost most of the more mumbo-jumbo aspects and morphed into a semi-secular, almost humanist approach based upon a rather watery version of the CofE that places tolerance of others far higher than 'faith'. Multi-culturalism has allowed the development of religions which have arguably not matured to this stage, in turn giving rise to a resurgence of more evangelical forms of Christianity - the worst of both worlds.
  4. We have always been a mutli-culteral society, its one of the fliips sides to mass immigration over the last 1000 years and not forgetting our little Empire thing.

The problems come when the differences are highlighted, not the similarties.
  5. Well said Sergey, I agree with this too! However as our Politicians care about votes and being seen as on the left of centre, this will not change for the foreseeable future :frustrated:
  6. Well,yeah, it comes down to the Enlightenment really, doesn't it?

Sadly we do not seem to be very well equipped to deal with those whose "culture" has not advanced beyond the Middle Ages, because we naively assume that they share the common points of reference of logic, reason, humanity etc on which to engage.
  7. Similar debate going on in Canada:
    Not sure about the Sikh children being forbidden from carrying daggers. I think it should be compulsory for all religions. Teach the little buggers to treat knives with respect.
  8. For me, the problem lies not with the differing cultures that we have in the UK but with the emphasis on 'celebrating diversity' that's been shoved in our faces by the chattering classes.

I'd rather 'celebrate' (what an awful phrase that is in this context) what makes us alike. For example decency, honesty, the work ethic, being able to laugh at ourselves... in short, the things that made us a great nation.
  9. Yep.
  10. Yep.
  11. The difference has been, in the past, Nobody gave a damm who you were, as long as YOU fitted in. Today, you're almost expected to live and behave as if you're still in your own country of orgin...
  12. Some of the people who most loathe multiculturism are middle aged asian men, bloody hell those taxi drivers know how to winge.
  13. so true mark1234, it is strange how the strongest supporters of multi-whatnotage are white middle class and vaguely intellectual. The first generation immigrants are very opposed to it because:
    A) 2nd wave will take the jobs the 1st wave had been doing.
    B) 1st lot have worked to be accepted and/or blend in whereas the newcomers are truly vulgar bunch in comparison
    C) the 1 generation see themselves as being somewhat british therefore allowing to tell the newbies to foxtrot oscar back home.