The Pentagons Long War, and Britains Role

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Feb 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don´t remember anybody saying that the `TW+T`was going to be `Short Sharp and Sh*t Hot`,even T.Blair knew all wasn´t going to be cleaned up in his time,or Bush´s.

NI took 30 years,and that was a regoinal problem a world wide problem will take longer,I doubt if many arrsers will live to see the end of it,if there is an end!
  2. I think the 'Long War' will rumble on in the background for decades, but will cease to be the main focus of world affiars.
  3. Do you not remember the halcyon days of "Shock and Awe"? :D
  4. Utter nonsense Crab-T, immediately after 9-11 the spams were talking about TW+T as a war on many fronts, possibly lasting for decades and with most of the action being far from traditional battlefields. And they say the public have short memories...
  5. Ah so, the move to Ganistans means we have China surrounded.
    Just hope it does not turn out to be a Hambush
  6. msr

msr LE

Surely it's the Pentagon's long wah?

7. I'm suprised they acutally need us I'm sure they have something sinister I think China is next on the big list perhaps when everyone gets bored with the WoT.
  8. ...hence the smiley. :roll:

I walked into the office on 12September, 2001 and my boss simply said to me "Welcome to the New Cold War".

Anyone who has taken a look at the belief systems of the likes of Cheney, Rice, Wolfy, Rummy etc. knows that they are Cold Warriors and simply cannot conceive of a world where the United States has no enemy. Plan A for Bush (as counselled by Rice) was to make sure Putin continued to behave himself and to try to get tough with China (as every Administration has pledged- and failed to accomplish).

The only surprise for them was that the Middle East thing kicked off. If they thought it was going to be at the top of the list then Richard Haas would have been National Security Advisor, instead of now being the Chairman of the Council for Foreign Relations. However, the 9/11 crisis gave a great deal of agency to the PNAC crowd, whose main focus was the Persian Gulf and the idea of the use of American power to remake the world in their image. Wolfy already had the Iraq plan in the drawer ready to go from as early as 1992, but was told to wind his neck in by George I as he knew how costly such a plan would be.

I honestly don't know if this new doctrine will outlast Bush's presidency in terms of how proactive they would project it to be. I have a feeling that the next guy in the big chair will spend a lot of his time playing defence and trying to extricate the US from a war without end. We have to remember that the costings of this exercise favours the terrorists.

It is estimated that you can pull off a 9/11-type operation for about half a million dollars. The US is having to spend over two thirds of a TRILLION dollars to try and counter it. BTW, the exact amount is $667.2bn (or around 1,350,000 times as much as the terrorists spent on 9/11) and that figure doesn't include forthcoming supplemental appropriations to fund the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and (perhaps?) Iran. If past form is anything to go by you can probably tack on at least another $100-150 billion by the end of the financial year. At some point, people will start to put 2+2 together in the "butter vs guns" debate. (Although not the people at AEI- traditionally limited govt spending types- who argue that a level of spending higher than World War II- in constant dollars- is simply not enough and the US should be spending at least 5% of its GDP on defense, despite already dwarfing the rest of world combined.)

The really bizarre thing for me though (apart from the astronomical sums of money involved) is that while the new strategy focuses on unconventional 4th generation war (“the Long War”), the defense plan, as articulated in the QDR, remains focused on conventional war-fighting. Go figure.