The Pennine Way

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Recce19, Jul 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't belive I am planning to do this next year 8O I thought I'd got this out of my system when I discharged :?

Going to try to get the wife to talk some sense into me later :lol:

2. About 5 days should be enough!

Honestly, I acted as a running partner for a mad fool who completed it in that long, although I shared these duties with a few others

3. Good for you recce! I did it about ten years ago, and by the end I was the most relaxed I think I've ever been before or since. It's great to spend that long away from life's troubles, but FFS leave the mobile phone behind!

4. Thanks muckers :D

Hobgoblin, there is NO way I'm effin running 270 miles 8O Just the thought gives me a tingling sensation down my arm :lol:

I actually want to enjoy ( 8O ) the experience, this time with no-one 'whispering' into my shell-like :D So will be looking for a bimbling (you know what them RAF bods call tabbing :p )ten day jaunt.

5. Recce, a former boss of mine did it for her 50th birthday so you should be fine! Er, unless you're doing for your 80th...

6. FS, I'll be no where near 80 :D Thanks to Her Majesty, I'm pretty used to tabbing with bergan. Do military helicopter pilots still 'accept' the flash cards :twisted:

7. I hope you have good weather, because it will be miserable if you don't.

The other thing to bear in mind is that it includes a variety of different kinds of terrain and going, not all of which appeal to all people. I think you can be a bit choosy about which bits you do. For my money, the section in the North Pennines between Cow Green and Garrigill is the best bit, while the bit to the south of there over Bowes Moor is unrelieved tedium. Other people feel differently, I know.

But the best of luck anyway. It's definitely one of those things you need to do before you die.

8. Get some sun on your back and do the GR20 instead.

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Agreed. About 10 days of eating hearty, sleeping the sleep of the knackered and getting fit through some of our best and most remote scenery.

er, one hates to disagree, but...

actually, I'd of agreed at the time. 3 days through drizzle over horrible marshy hummocks? But it gets you in shape, it DOES have a certain bleak grandure and it sets you up for the beauty further North.

Bugger. I wish I was going. I hear these days you can carry on up into Scotland?

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

11. Just read some posts on a Pennine Way message board. One was complaining his 'pack' was too heavy. It weighed 17kg (34lbs) :lol: :lol: My webbing alone, used to weigh more than that 8O

12. "Good luck" Recce19 can you carry 10 days supply of beer and insect reppellent.

13. I thought it was long and boggy, though well worth doing! For my money the Coast to Coast (St. Bees to Robin Hoods Bay) is the better walk, and not just because it's much shorter! There's more variety in the walking.