The PCS Boot Tender

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by MrBane, Sep 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

So we all know that with the new PCS there are now dozens of tenders kicking about the place for new kit to match our sexy MTP gear.

We've already got the new PCS boot tender well underway with some surprising losers and decisions being made on the way to the final winner.

For anyone that's seen the colour scheme being demanded by the MOD, one company called it 'baby shit brown'. Make of that what you will!

Some interesting points to note are that it appears Lowa are out the running much to their annoyance. There are still some strong brands in but as with all MOD tenders all entries must be free of markings or labels to prevent any bias or prejudice in the judges, so for that reason I wont mention any of them here just now as technically it could put that companies tender at risk.

Points to note are that the insoles the MOD have specified are -shit-. Lets take Company 'a'. They make a very good, cushioned and supportive insole. It will cost no more for this insole to be shipped with the boot however some scientist bloke (Goddamn you DSTL) has decided that this felt based material they've looked at offers better wicking properties. So that is now what the MOD wants. They don't save any money on it. Also, if you ever get a chance to see the insole it'll remind you of your grannies living room carpet. It's awful. So out goes the supportive, cushioned insole and in comes the slab of felt.

They're also looking for the usual variations of boots; Cold Weather, warm weather, high liability, etcetc.

It will be interesting to see how this ends.

I suspect we may be in for the usual fuckup.

I don't have a timeline for the completion date of the tender yet, it's hard to find any info on it. So if anyone can point us towards a document or webpage, that'd be great!

2. Lowa will be out of the running because the desert boots they provided were shite.

I saw them on the trial on TELIC 10 and they were falling apart.

Saw them issued and worn to a colleague while we were in a mega REMF job on HERRICK and even though they were only being worm to drive (he was pretty lazy so never bloody walked anywhere!) to and from work and generally mince around. They lasted two months before falling to bits...

3. MrBane are these facts or just what is going round at the moment?

4. MrBane

Lowa dessies always fall to bits, the ones we got issued for Telic used to split just at the bottom of the bridge on your foot.

Defender, this is all facts, as seen at DSEi and informed from various sources. I've had a good look at the insoles and honestly, I would have used them to scrub my bathroom floor if I didn't know what they were for.

5. They could issue the best boots on the planet and we'd still buy our own.

It doesn't matter what colour they are - they become the colour they need to be if you don't cover them in that shiny shitty black crap called polish! :)

6. As long as Magnum are not in the running I have never got on with them, and now I have said that I will be wearing them next year.

7. Spoke to someone last week while I was in Dartmoor who said that RAF Regt were part of the trials and 3 Sqn had 12 different types to test. One being green!Can't wait for the cleaning routine for that.This was the same guy that turned up in PCS wearing desert boots on Holme Beam. Once he had got into the treeline,they were wrecked.

8. MrBane

As the tender progresses the MOD will throw in various specifications, so all the boots now have to be the baby-shit brown. It goes fairly well with the MTP if I'm honest. I'm trying to find out what Army combat arm is taking part in the trialling process (if any).

The two models from two contenders I played with can only be cleaned by a wipe down with a wet rag, that applies to all the boots in the process. Watch Kiwi boot polish shares take a nose-dive. (Seriously.)

9. All the trial boot variants in my unit are all green.

I've seen other units trailing brown.

10. MrBane

Well, might be crossing wires here. It's called baby-shit brown but it's dark browns with dark greens. I think there's about three colour tones all in.

11. Anyone know anything about the gopping MTP patterned boots I saw being worn with the new uniform the other day (presumably a trial)? Honestly, they looked awful!

Goodness knows how they were supposed to be cleaned, unless kiwi is doing a new line of three colour patterned polishes.

12. Would that aquaphobic tech be anything to do with it? Gotta agree that MTP boots look gopping. Assault boots in brown anyone?

13. MrBane

There are boots available in Cryecam (Multicam) in the Magnum range, but that's just for off the shelf individual purchase, they're not on issue. The current tender design is a mix of dark brown and dark green, but it's not done in a DPM style, it's just different parts of the boots are differently coloured. It looks quite good actually.

14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

25 years old going strong...

[​IMG]

And when new and resoled...

[​IMG]

15. if you see Multicam boots being worn it will be part of an assessment for Magnum, they have requested feedback on them from the Export Support Teams at Bovington and Lulworth.

I don't know why everyone is so hung-up on being able to polish boots, there are plenty of other products out there which will protect and nourish the boot's materials better than Kiwi or the like.