The Pay Rise and Inflation

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Litotes, Apr 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear Gordon,

I note that the AFPRB awarded the Service a 3.3% payrise this year, effective this April.

I also note that the Office of National Statistics has recorded that inflation (RPI) over the last year hit 4.8% in April.

Let me do the calculation: 4.8-3.3 = 1.5% which is a considerable fall in my standard of living.

Thanks, Gordon. I am quite certain that you won't mind if I object to you being elected, unopposed, to be Prime Minister? And, of course, I will also object if MPs award themselves an increase in their pay and allowances that exceeds 3.3%. And, of course, you won't object if I vote UKIP in the local elections. Will you?

Litotes

2. It doesn't matter who you vote for. The government always gets in. Do you honestly think the tories, the darlings of the private sector, are more generous?

3. UKIP can't organise themselves, what makes you think they can organise a country?

4. Poison Dwarf and JJS, I think you have missed the point they were trying to make. A pay rise significantly below Rate of inflation, in a year that has shown public support for the conditions that the forces are facing, especially in light of current Ops.... Is a bad thing indeed, if we cant get a reasonable rate this year then we are in dire straights indeed. The large pay increase to junior soldiers was gratefully received, but does anyone believe its anything more than a recruitment/retention incentive?

5. However, Gordon prefers to use the CPI index which currently stands at 2.8%, so he'll think you're quids in and its your round.