Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Paras: Men of War - New ITV Series

I think the Joe thing comes over as very confusing, when they're out on the area and the same Cpl is shouting" come on Joe stop slacking" and in the next breath says "well done Joe, keep it up" what's a guy to think, is he the good guy or the bad guy?
I think they just can't be bothered to learn the names, at least until it looks like they're going to last a while!

I wonder what happens when some who is called Joe joins up? Do they drop Joe or does the poor lad get run ragged.

Steak and Lobster!!

Surf is lobster, shrimp etc, and turf is steak.

The one on the left is Surf.
1547976975149.png

I wonder what happens when some who is called Joe joins up? Do they drop Joe or does the poor lad get run ragged.
I suspect he spends all day saying" pardon me ( insert rank here) is that the generic Joe or are you specifally referring to me, cos I'm finding it all a little confusing!"

Wind speed was the biggest factor in hard landings.

Apocryphal story as a wasn’t there - I was on my Jnr Brecon at the time.

3PARA were jumping into Sudan on exercise (1970s). The battalion hadn’t jumped for a good while as they’d been to NI and that takes the best part of a year given pre tour training, post tour leave etc.

Anywhoo, the wind was close to limits and gusting over limits and the lead aircraft called the DZ party to say that he wasn’t happy and that the ground party commander should make the decision whether to go ahead or cancel.

The ground commander was the Bn 2i/c and the radio op looked at him and asked what he wanted to do. The story goes that he bent down and picked up a rock, dropped it from shoulder height and said “get ‘em out”.

Lots of injuries including my Company Commander who never parachuted again.

Surf and Turf?? Do you folks have beer in your mess?
Depends on what you mean by 'the Mess'.
Single officers live and eat in 'The Officer's Mess'.
Single Warrant Officers and Sargeants live and eat in their own 'mess'.
Both of these messes have bars,and all 'mess members' pay a monthly bill.
As far as I know,booze is not generally served at meal times,maybe the officers mess at evening meal.
Other Ranks eat in the 'cookhouse'. Some operate a cafeteria 'pay as you dine' style,others do not(mainly recruit training establishments).
No booze in the cookhouse.OR's can drink in the NAAFI bar in camp,but usually we would go into town.

Last edited:
I think the Joe thing comes over as very confusing, when they're out on the area and the same Cpl is shouting" come on Joe stop slacking" and in the next breath says "well done Joe, keep it up" what's a guy to think, is he the good guy or the bad guy?
I think they just can't be bothered to learn the names, at least until it looks like they're going to last a while!
I think it's just a PC gimmick to keep more realistic abuse away from cameras. Haven't heard terms 'craphat' or 'hat' either, presumably so as not to offend. All seems a little bit sanitized.