The Paras: Men of War - New ITV Series

Ex-Ten

War Hero
That's what I thought. I was aware of the old GI Joe thing, but that was probably strictly a US Army thing and probably confined to the WW2 era.

I just have a feeling that "Joe" isn't something that has developed organically, but has the feeling of a depot DS focus group meeting. It seems to have appeared from nowhere.
Sounds plausible!

Ex-Ten

War Hero
Tom means prostitute to me.
My mate is ex para regt circa Falklands and when he referred to the blokes it was Toms / tom.
"Tom" of course from "Tommy Atkins" the example name used when showing recruits how to fill in their enlistment forms "back in the day".

FEASG

LE
I thought it was quite good. Makes a change for a TV program not to make the forces look utter T+++. The training staff all came across as professional and more conserved about doing there job, rather than having their 15 mins of fame. Well done the Paras

Oyibo

LE
Just to stay on the Reg theme, riot gear in 2019:

1547236524210.png

The only thing better about the gear in my day was that one would get the wooden batons for training as well as ops: "Go on, put your fingers on the edge of my shield."

Ex-Ten

War Hero
I see a couple girls of the IDF made it into the photo montage. Was that a regimental tie Sir Rodge was wearing?
I've no idea what that tie is but doubt it has any military significance.

According to Wikipedia "On 21 September 1946, he was commissioned into the Royal Army Service Corps as a second lieutenant." My father was in 63 coy RASC (now 63 sqn RLC) Para. So he wore the Pegasus tie, not the RASC one shown below.
RASCtie.jpg

When do we get to see if a bolt can be put in wrong less than 45 times?
Yes, even as a simple sundodger I noticed that! I wonder if he'd never been given one of those round peg / square hole toys as a nipper!

I remember on THAT rifle there was only one possible way...... rat tail anyone?

It’s actually 37 years to the day that 480 platoon started training.. sorry bit of a spotter, wore that series when I watched the videos!
Seems weird having a 31 year old recruit too!

still staggin

War Hero
When I first saw the age of the 31 yr old recruit i thought this is going to hurt mate,.
Did any one recognise his previous cap badge, looked like a Maltese cross type similar to DERR ?

When I first saw the age of the 31 yr old recruit i thought this is going to hurt mate,.
Did any one recognise his previous cap badge, looked like a Maltese cross type similar to DERR ?
Light Dragoons???

Latest Threads