The Paras: Men of War - New ITV Series

It was good to see Scott Meenagh on the Program last night. I did wonder why he wasn’t wearing his long legs, but the short running blades - he ran the stretcher race course with the rest of them.
I thought that was a VERY powerful bit of documentary, both for the viewers and (probably) more so for the lads. BZ.

Got a bit smokey in my living room.

Nice warm submarine for me any day.

L/Cpl Russ Craig (The Pink Crash Helmet) made RSM 45 Commando RM
View attachment 372701
My first fighting Company CSM. Used to visit all the shell scrapes for a røyke with the boys in the field.
He gave me my first promotion and said don't flash it around you sprog **** or some one will bang you out.

Genuinely a legend and full strength Corps character

Nope I would prefer to kill you with kindness these days. Different thought process is all. Not everything you Brits do makes much sense across the pond.

Milling is not about demonstrating your ability to knock the stuffing out of the other bloke, its about seeing if you have the heart to keep going when you're getting the stuffing knocked out of you.

Americans don't really get 'its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog'

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Milling is not about demonstrating your ability to knock the stuffing out of the other bloke, its about seeing if you have the heart to keep going when you're getting the stuffing knocked out of you.

Americans don't really get 'its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog'
Indeed, I think @LJONESY may be talking at cross purposes.

It's not about whether a BFO knife or a Vulcan death grip would win in a street fight. "Merely" if a soldier can give aggression, take aggression, and most importantly, switch it on and off!

Thank you for your in-depth contribution based on your experience :roll:

D

Deleted 24582

Indeed, I think @LJONESY may be talking at cross purposes.

It's not about whether a BFO knife or a Vulcan death grip would win in a street fight. "Merely" if a soldier can give aggression, take aggression, and most importantly, switch it on and off!
Pugil Sticks!!

Tracking now, I had to google fu milling and was wondering why the **** you did this.

Punchy stuff is combatives.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Pugil Sticks!!

Tracking now, I had to google fu milling and was wondering why the **** you did this.

Punchy stuff is combatives.

Ah, I'm glad we cleared that up. :confused:

Eagleman

Swinger
The Afgan chap who was backsquaded could present a huge security risk if he makes the grade.
Tv footage of the character praying before P company made me ponder our Armed Forces ethos....

Are we the British Army or the BBC PC renegades...
If the chap passes I’m sure he’ll fit in in 2para 3para etc...

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Hey you folks can do whatever you want. But as the outsider looking in, it can be a bit confusing.

NAAFI answer - y'all just sit back and have a nice day, maybe rock up at the last moment and cover yourselves in glory.

Sensible answer - did you actually watch the programme in question? Being totally honest here, when I first heard of "milling" it seemed horrifying. But that's because I have the mindset of an old biddy. For fit young men, it shouldn't be much of a problem..

Out of interest, how does the US military train their infantry in close combat?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
The Afgan chap who was backsquaded could present a huge security risk if he makes the grade.
Tv footage of the character praying before P company made me ponder our Armed Forces ethos....

Are we the British Army or the BBC PC renegades...
If the chap passes I’m sure he’ll fit in in 2para 3para etc...

It's just a telly programme :D

D

Deleted 24582

NAAFI answer - y'all just sit back and have a nice day, maybe rock up at the last moment and cover yourselves in glory.

Sensible answer - did you actually watch the programme in question? Being totally honest here, when I first heard of "milling" it seemed horrifying. But that's because I have the mindset of an old biddy. For fit young men, it shouldn't be much of a problem..

Out of interest, how does the US military train their infantry in close combat?
Sorry the program in question is not being aired here. I saw a brief video of two gents punching each other up for no apparent reason.

Pugil sticks
I think the bayonet drills are out.
Combatives for the hand to hand and ground fighting.

US army combatives - Bing video

US army combatives - Bing video

philc

LE
That’s not good enough.
We now have our elite forces recruiting the enemy to assuage our political idiosyncrasies...
I see it’s the weekend.

Latest Threads