The Paras: Men of War - New ITV Series

I am old and feeble, and playing with rules is so not real world nor is a 60 second fight.
You're getting boring now. 60 second fight isn't real world? Ok Roy Shaw.

Second episode was a lot more engaging than the first, almost as if most of the budget/effort went on it.

Regarding the older series, seminal pieces of work. That era of film making just did character development and documentation to a much higher standard for some reason. Also,looked high and low for the tv series which accompanied the Commando book circa 1992 to no avail.

Last edited:
I have no doubt a female of appropriate weight could enter the mill; my question is whether her male opponent would show same aggression, power of punches as with a male opponent?
Presumably, as feminism and the emasculating of toxic males evolves, female soldiers will be seen as more than just a way to stiffen the ranks.

I used to do Shotokan Karate at a club in my old home village back when I had more teeth and hair, and l will put on record that the most aggressive players l had to spar against were the wimmin. I particularly remember one of them side-kicking me right in the crotch and my instructor being rather annoyed with me retaliating by punching her in the ribs - so he forced me to spar against HlM.

That was nice. Not.

Women were milling on “Who Dares Wins”. One of the participants was called out and selected and opponent, all the blokes chose another bloke, the first two women chose another woman, the third woman chose a bloke. None of them shied away from the task in hand.

Women were milling on “Who Dares Wins”. One of the participants was called out and selected and opponent, all the blokes chose another bloke, the first two women chose another woman, the third woman chose a bloke. None of them shied away from the task in hand.
True, easy on the eye as well including a full face of make-up first thing in the morning, but got absolutely belted. I am not 100% convinced that wasn't a scripted part that went rather badly but still escaped the cutting room floor as I notice said female is accompanying Ant Middleton around now on various media outings.

True, easy on the eye as well including a full face of make-up first thing in the morning, but got absolutely belted. I am not 100% convinced that wasn't a scripted part that went rather badly but still escaped the cutting room floor as I notice said female is accompanying Ant Middleton around now on various media outings.
It doesn’t matter she got belted, she showed she was prepared to do what is necessary.

Similar height people on the back or front of the stretcher is preferable to allow it rest on both shoulders, easy at the beginning but less so after 5 miles of changes.
Agghhhh! You said 5 miles; and it`s not 5 miles of changes, it`s 5 miles of death! So there.

In previous series, contestants that stand out go round with the DS to promote the show.

Agghhhh! You said 5 miles; and it`s not 5 miles of changes, it`s 5 miles of death! So there.
It’s 5 miles of death with a 200 lb stretcher and an occasional spell of not being on the stretcher. Funnily enough, when you get off the stretcher, you think great and then weirdly you feel like you are struggling to keep up with it. Until it’s your turn again.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
My OH saw the result of the fight between the bird and bloke and thought it was unfair until I told her that she chose to fight a bloke. She then spouted that he could've gone easier on her as she was a bird, I then showed her the milling bouts on Youtube and explained what it was about, her comment after was along the lines of "stupid f'kin tart"

Errrrr…. Call THAT fashion ?
Well, it was when I was in for my first short stint with the Regulars. To the extent that the DS on my recruit course told us not to wear that ensemble when they finally let us pop out of camp as it made us look too much like squaddies. As if the short hair and bad attitude weren't enough.

I think that the heavy editing has taken its toll. The black recruit who's been back squadded might have been a walking disaster area, but I got no real sense of that from watching the programme. Certainly, it was quite clear that he wouldn't have been up there at the head of the pack, but I was left feeling that the DS could have made more effort with him.

As I say, that is probably because the editing did not allow us the full picture.
Yes the editing was terrible he did not seem that bad for a recruit, it didn't tell any kind of a story but I would love to have seen the producers face when she found out that her diversity pick was the only one to get back squaded.

It’s 5 miles of death with a 200 lb stretcher and an occasional spell of not being on the stretcher. Funnily enough, when you get off the stretcher, you think great and then weirdly you feel like you are struggling to keep up with it. Until it’s your turn again.
I've done a stretcher race and a log run.

Fvcking horrible.