The Paras: Men of War - New ITV Series

I dunno. One of the best and most hard hitting recruitment campaigns for any mob is the old Bootneck 99.9% need not apply.
AIUI, recruiting for Royal actually dropped, as people took it at face value.

It’s not Combatives, and no I don’t get it!
It was explained to me it's a test to see if you have the controlled aggression and drive to punch someone in the head for 60secs while they return the favour. No blocking, no turning your back.

I'm sure there's a vid on youtube where you can see what I mean by controlled. Two guys milling, the rest cheering them on making a racket. 1 pugilist goes to the floor, a bell is rung, guy standing instantly freezes and the guys making a racket, instantly silent. Guy gets up, gets a quick check, ding, and they're all off again.

2.26 is where it happens.

Where you all over his back?
It was a draw in the end and I went to The RMP Sgt’s Mess in Catterick that night with a black eye and a fat nose. Not fun, having been made to do it twice as a Junior Leader, I knew it wouldn’t be enjoyable.

Drinking alcohol with concussion probably isn’t advisable.

Last edited:
It was explained to me it's a test to see if you have the controlled aggression and drive to punch someone in the head for 60secs while they return the favour. No blocking, no turning your back.

I'm sure there's a vid on youtube where you can see what I mean by controlled. Two guys milling, the rest cheering them on making a racket. 1 pugilist goes to the floor, a bell is rung, guy standing instantly freezes and the guys making a racket, instantly silent. Guy gets up, gets a quick check, ding, and they're all off again.

2.26 is where it happens.
Just your version of the Spirit of the Bayonet. Tracking now.

I remember doing something similar to milling at Hendon and a competitive log run in Fryent Country Park (I imagine nothing like either still exists). The milling wasn't conducted to demonstrate naked aggression, but rather to demonstrate that you could take a slap or two.

I seem to recall a lot of winking taking place between paired pugilists in the manner of, "Now let's make this convincing enough and no more than that". Nevertheless, you did start to wonder what the hell had happened to the instructor's stopwatch.

I was rather surprised that there was no similar facility where a belligerent would be handcuffed and thrown down some stairs. Those skills had to be acquired on the hoof.

IMHO, documentaries like this do wonders for recruitment to the specific unit. Young lads of a certain type will be drawn like moths to a flame. I still know blokes who joined because of the early 80’s series and I think this will be the same. I remember the early 80’s doc on The M and AW Cardre, amongst other things that spurred me on to complete The AACC.

Young lads want derring do and elitism. Whether people like it or not that is where we will predominantly recruit from.

Corps and less well known Regiments can also benefit from this by highlighting their best opportunities for arduous service as well.

IMHO, documentaries like this do wonders for recruitment to the specific unit. Young lads of a certain type will be drawn like moths to a flame. I still know blokes who joined because of the early 80’s series and I think this will be the same. I remember the early 80’s doc on The M and AW Cardre, amongst other things that spurred me on to complete The AACC.

Young lads want derring do and elitism. Whether people like it or not that is where we will predominantly recruit from.

Corps and less well known Regiments can also benefit from this by highlighting their best opportunities for arduous service as well.
The Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre doc in the mid-80's was full of characters and really engaging.

Highlights include the indignant SBS Officer being told off for his sections poor cover and concealment, with the narrator then announcing that he and his lads weren't seen again by the DS for the rest of the exercise.

Also the scuffle at the end of the final exercise was entertaining. Think it took a rifle butt to the chin to subdue one of the lads

The documentary has cleverly placed The Paras above other Infantry Regts by it’s mocking dialogue towards other units in the attitudes of the staff and the admittance by the young lad that he couldn’t hack it and wanted an easier life.

This was also supported by the fact that he was awarded top recruit in his new platoon. Very little effort made by The Pl Comd to retain him

Never seen a Regular Officer with tattooed forearms before.

Also the scuffle at the end of the final exercise was entertaining. Think it took a rifle butt to the chin to subdue one of the lads
Delivered by "Jan, the big Dutch Marine..."
That was one BFO bash.

I did note the Platoon Commander said that the Parachute Regiment was always the first to go; is there no longer Spearhead Lead Element?

The Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre doc in the mid-80's was full of characters and really engaging.

Highlights include the indignant SBS Officer being told off for his sections poor cover and concealment, with the narrator then announcing that he and his lads weren't seen again by the DS for the rest of the exercise.

The voice over was fecking mega, wasn't it! It's on Iplayer and my wife caught me watching an episode, watched it with me and then insisted we watch the series which then led to the Paras which I believe is the same voice over guy.

Delivered by "Jan, the big Dutch Marine..."
That was one BFO bash.

I did note the Platoon Commander said that the Parachute Regiment was always the first to go; is there no longer Spearhead Lead Element?
As far as I know, there is always a Lead Parachute Bn Gp. Whether that is always the choice to go depends on the task I suppose.

A clever bit of marketing dropped in by him to engender a sense of superiority in the minds of potential recruits.