The Paras: Men of War - New ITV Series

We are reminded that it is 35 years since the last TV series on Para training although military training and fly on the wall is a subject the TV cannot get enough of with a series on Harrogate also running. ITV Thursday 10th January 2100 hrs. No doubt there will be some robust comment on this programe to follow on arrse and may be a few tears.

Inside the Parachute Regiment, ‘the last outpost for hard men willing to do bad things to bad people’
Point of order.

There was a doc 'Para Platoon' on Forces TV just a couple of years ago.

Hollywood Platoon mk2, if you will

What's all this "Joe" stuff? Is that something new? Never heard of it before.
[Wah Shield Up]

'Joe Crow' - very well used term for donkey's years. For the ultimate insult to a Depot member of staff: FOJ (friend of Joe)

[Wah shield down]

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
[Wah Shield Up]

'Joe Crow' - very well used term for donkey's years. For the ultimate insult to a Depot member of staff: FOJ (friend of Joe)

[Wah shield down]
I thought it was an Americanism, they call their soldiers Joe, This documentary will possibly do far better than the recent 'shite' recruiting adverts from the Mod and costing millions.

We are reminded that it is 35 years since the last TV series on Para training although military training and fly on the wall is a subject the TV cannot get enough of with a series on Harrogate also running. ITV Thursday 10th January 2100 hrs. No doubt there will be some robust comment on this programe to follow on arrse and may be a few tears.

Inside the Parachute Regiment, ‘the last outpost for hard men willing to do bad things to bad people’
2nd ad break, and theres an advert for the Booties :)

Not sure if it was a good idea to have the RM recruiting advert on during the break?

(Dammit Fus, you got there before me!)

The_Duke

LE
Checklist for Arrse comments:

1. “We used to do all of that in Z Coy, the 1st Warwickshire Mess Tin Repair Unit (v).”

2. “It was harder in my day”

3. “Capbadge at the back of their head”

4. “Andy Capp berets”

5. “Too much swearing”

I thought it was an Americanism, they call their soldiers Joe, This documentary will possibly do far better than the recent 'shite' recruiting adverts from the Mod and costing millions.
'Joe' followed the same lines as 'crap hat' and 'bennies'. Crap hat became 'hat' then became 'harry' or 'harold' or more recently, 'screamer' (as in screaming crap hat).

'Crow' was always the prevalent term in my time, but 'Joe Crow' was the full version. I was told once that 'Crow' meant 'Combat Recruit of War' which always sounded tenuous to me

They explained it at the start as standing for Joined On Enlistment, so that's the derivation. I've just never heard it used before, even amongst Paras at depot. Seems a bit dehumanising. Perhaps that is the point.

Perhaps some Para old sweats can confirm that it is a recent thing (or not).

Has the PAM been updated stating that the weapon system needs to be stripped/re assembled within a time frame?

They explained it at the start as standing for Joined On Enlistment, so that's the derivation. I've just never heard it used before, even amongst Paras at depot. Seems a bit dehumanising. Perhaps that is the point.

Perhaps some Para old sweats can confirm that it is a recent thing (or not).
Never heard the derivation before, but I've been called 'Joe' on a number of occasions