The PARAS, medical conditions and studying

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by The_Copperhead, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ARRSE forums,

I am intending to sign up for the parachute regiment on monday as a soldier, and there are a couple of things I'd like information on if anyone is free to give it.

Firstly I have previously been diagnosed as having had an episode of acute (short-term) psychosis that lasted approximately one week, although both myself and my doctor have since agreed that it was simply the side effect of tremendous sleep loss, though the diagnosis has not been updated or overturned. It's certainly not ongoing and it's been more than a year since the event, and I need to know whether or not this will affect my application. I notice that psychosis is a disqualifying condition, however the armyjobs.mod.uk requirements say "ongoing psychiatric conditions", and it couldn't be less ongoing (I contest whether it was ever 'going' at all).

Secondly, I am quite far into studying a physics degree via the open university, and I am on track for a first, so I am reluctant to give it up. I was originally going to apply after I had my degree but I cannot wait any longer. I have heard suggestions that I might be able to continue studying whilst in the army, and if anyone has any information on how viable this might be I'd like to know about that too.

2. Why don`t you sign up as an officer if you are of degree level intelligence. The first couple of years as a soldier are very intense and time for study would be limited.

3. If I'm still alive I might, after I have my degree. Like I said I can't wait any longer, and I do not need a lot of study time. In fact if there were two or more free hours a day (or the equivalent per week) with some internet access I would probably be able to get on fine, I just need to know whether these conditions will exist.

I'd feel better about applying to be an officer if I'd been a soldier anyway.

4. I'm not in, but would be blown away if you get two hours a day to yourself with internet access in basic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.