The Pacific DVD Miniseries

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Devon_Walker, Nov 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Pacific (TV mini-series 2010) - IMDb Haven't found a reference to this, but I'm not the best at searching, so, apologies if it's been done. and it may already be old news. Has anyone seen this mini-series on DVD and if so, what did you think of it ? Personally, it's worth the money, but very different to BoB in many ways.

"A 10-part mini-series from the creators of "Band of Brothers" telling the intertwined stories of three Marines during America's battle with the Japanese in the Pacific during World War II." IMDB

2. I've bought it on Blu-ray. Though I've not got round to watching them yet.

I did manage to catch one episode whilst in the states last year, and it looked very good. I have heard some people say it was boring....

3. NZ birds getting shagged was at least better than BoB

4. I bought it on Blu-ray on Monday, watched it all, not a bad series, not quite as good as BoB, but as an individual series, very watchable. I've not got round to all the added extras yet though.

5. Well cant be as good as BoB because they are telling the story of 3 men who never served together, never met during the war vs a Company together since Basic Training to VJ day.
    Basilone-1st Bn, 7th Marines
    Leckie- 2nd Bn, 1st Marines
    Sledge- 3rd Bn, 5th Marines
    the only common element in the series is the 1st Marine Division was their parent unit.

Tech bitch

M1903A3 rifles on Guadalcanal? Never happened, the Marines used the M1903 from WWI, the A3 wasnt type classified until Feb 42.
    M1917A1 Watercooled with M1919A4 Pistol grips- the 1917 used Wood grips, not arma-steel.

6. These characters are well documented, online, and in books. A quick search of my library turned up a boxed set of 4 DVD's - War in the Pacific (musicbank.com) and over 427 minutes docu' and "official war department footage produced by the Signal Corps". Good companion to the mini-series. Also there are books available even at the Libraries including the complementary book to the series.

Researching the characters in the mini-series has proved interesting and should wile away the holiday.
    Robert Leckie (author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    John Basilone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Eugene Sledge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the Old Breed
    In 1981, Sledge published With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa, a memoir of his World War II service with the United States Marine Corps. With the Old Breed was reprinted in 1990 (with an introduction by Paul Fussell) and again in 2007 (with an introduction by Victor Davis Hanson). In 1992, Sledge was featured in the documentary film Peleliu 1944: Horror in the Pacific.[16] In April 2007, it was announced that With the Old Breed, along with Robert Leckie's Helmet for My Pillow, would form the basis for the HBO series The Pacific,[17] from the same producers as Band of Brothers. Eugene Sledge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Received this series a few days back, watched it, thought it was excellent. It's a bit more graphic and violent than Band of Brothers and lacks the character depth.

If you do watch it make sure you chose the option to watch with "Historical Background" as it gives short interviews with (Some of) the actual guys portrayed in the series and some brief history voiced by Tom Hanks before each episode.

It's very similar to Flags of our Fathers. Thought it was really good actually DW and yes, worth the money but very different to BoB.

I bought it from hmv.com and got some nifty free carabina keyring, with built-in compass free with it too.

8. I have previously commented on this series and think it is very much a mixed bag of not so subtle Hollywood biases and some good vignettes where they stuck with the source material-3 books written by veterans of that conflict. After attending a gala premiere for the series where the first episode was shown to an audience primarily comprised of Marine veterans in my area and seeing a number of the WWII vets get up and leave after the first 45 minutes I re-read the books on which the series was "based" to see what their objections were.

It did not take me long to realiz(s)e the subplot featured in the first combat scene (after 30 minutes of build-up) regarding the cowardly captain was wholly fictional and IMHO purposely and gratuitously inserted as part of Hollywood's usual themes of incompetent leaders and eminently wise troops (Platoon, FMJ, Heartbreak Ridge etc. anyone?). The books of course had instances of such things, but they were apparently insufficiently "dramatic" to suffice for the producers' agenda.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

For me, the biggest problem with the series was I had NO IDEA WHO ANYONE IS, AT ANY TIME. I didn't watch it week to week, rather I watched all of the episodes over a fortnight and I cannot say at anytime I could really follow the plots. It was full of those cliches that Hollywood likes to believe the public want, it lacked detail where I was interested, it slowed down so often as to go into reverse ( Basilone on base, Basilone as a training instructor, Melbourne (?) twice, Basilone running around in America, that 'southern boy' being unable to join, then joining (When? How? Was he the guy from two episodes back? why's he in uniform?), the guy who fancied his neighbour at church, then taking her on a date?).

I found myself doing nothing but waiting for the action, which was quite BOB like.

10. Funnily enough my neighbour lent me the set about two eeks back, I watched three episodes back to back, then gave up. In contrast, I was given the BoB set when it first came out, DVD I might add not video, I watched the whole series in one lump.

I think as has been said this is much more Hollywood, officers are always incompetent, if cowards as well so much the better. The other characters seem to be straight out of central casting. Onecharacter bumps into a girl outside a church, announces his intention to join the USMC, the next scene, he's a JNCO, no insight into the espirit de corps, the training, or the motivation.

All in all BoB is a better snapshot of a unit, Pacific is Windtalkers with extra gore.

If Ambrose's 'Pegasus Bridge' was made that would be a good two/three part series.

PS, Bokkatankie, if the shagging you refer to is in the first three episodes, Melbourne is in Oz. Spotter hat off.

11. Only watched it once, OZ, NZ who gives a damn (apart from the sheep), just a bit more lively than BoB in that respect. But top marks to you for Pedantry at its best.

Agree with all you say about the series all a bit disapointing and predictable.

12. Just got to Episode 8 in my newly-acquired DVD box set, and I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Whereas in Band of Brother each episode was quite unique in its own right, The Pacific seems to ramble on a bit, and unlike BoB I really can't remember anything specific about each episode (except of course the Aussie bird getting humped. And Virginia Grey).

I think other posters are quite right, in that what made BoB so good was the development of each character, and Easy Company itself. I think the backdrop of Europe is also more familiar to us, as are the events of D-Day, Market Garden, the Ardennes Offensive etc. By contrast, the backdrop to the Pacific is a series of faceless islands, whose populations consists only of two sides engaged in near constant (and very brutal) combat.

I thought The Pacific was also much more graphic than BoB, and the whole thing left me feeling a little depressed by the savagery of it all. Not saying that was a bad thing for the series to do (people should realise just how brutal war can be), just my own reaction.

13. As to your last point, while given the grim reality of any combat "savagery" is a very relative term, it is well documented that at the tactial infantry level, the PTO was considerably more brutal and rarely "noble.". The causes are varied and complex, including the West/East cultural divide (Bushido etc.) and the geographic/climatic conditions.

14. Yes, that's the impression I got from a few sources, although I havn't read the original references "With the Old Breed" etc.

Given that I haven't read those sources, I don't know if the miniseries played up the way in which the Marines became desensitized to the violence (one man is shown trying to pry a gold tooth from the mouth of a wounded Japanese soldier), but I can entirely believe that men exposed to that level of fanatacism and brutality from their enemy - for extended periods - would in turn tend to reciprocate.

15. The grim nature of the PTO fighting was set early on with the treatment of the Allied POWs after the intial successes of the Japanese at Singapore and the Philippines and was reinforced for the USMC with the murder of several marines in the Makin Island operation by the USMC Raiders and on Guadalcanal. The Marines learned that the Japanese view of "honor" that encouraged actions that were contrary to their own such as suicidal Banzai attacks, feigning injury or surrender to then attack etc.

While history is replete with wars where the combatants viewed each other as subhuman for varied reasons (political, sectarian, cultural etc.) at the troop level this is usually a natural human phenomenon that seeks to rationaliz(s)e the killing. This was clearly at work in the PTO among the Marines especially (who were primarily involved the island hopping campaign that necessarily required a much higher degree of close quarter infantry combat as contrasted with McArthur's more conventional all arms campaign through the Philippines) such that the fighting devolved into incredibly vicious struggles to the death. As a result, many of the Marines became virtually immune to even basic notions of humanity that had characterized most of their backgrounds just months earler before leaving the US.