The other oval ball Army V Navy game

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by The_Seagull, May 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there anyone out there who can give me some info/weblinks/contacts etc etc on the Army V Navy Football game?

In a nutshell, myself and about 14 other, mostly ex uk forces, now all Cops go to the annual drinkathon that is the Army V Navy rugby match and have done for about 8 years on the bounce now.

We're thinking of branching out to an international visit to see the corresponding American football match, aiming to do so in a year or so's time.

Being an organised sort of bloke I'm looking to start organising the trip soon as.

Any help would be appreciated. I've started looking into it on the web but i generally find more on the ground info generally more helpful

2. http://www.goarmysports.com/ is where you can find out all you need to know. The game will be held December 6th of this year at Lincoln field in Philadelphia, PA. Don't expect much of a game however... ever since we have been on the ground in A-stan and Iraq the Army has been getting it's butt kicked by Navy. My suspicion is that the West Point cadets have their thoughts more on their first deployment than football.

3. So it actually has nothing to do with Navy having a half-decent program these days? Watched them against Utah in Jan- damn that was a hell of a shootout- and I was grinning like a bastard on Father's Day watching them put the cherry on the top of Charlie Weiss' meltdown at Notre Dame. It's a shame Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada has graduated- although they might have kept him for another year so they have time to make his name badges.

Be honest now, Khyros, although things did hit rock bottom in their 0-13 season in 2003, Army have been shite since at least the mid-1990s, even though their last coach was the highest paid employee in the Federal Government. (At $600k he was paid- I won't say he earned it - 50% more that George W Bush.) I'm sure their fortunes will change now they've plucked someone from the Arena Football league to be their head coach though...

Incidentally, if anyone from the UK is interested in going and wants to get an idea of the context of life in the service academies, grab a copy of Absolutely American, by David Lipsky. http://www.amazon.com/dp/061809542X/?tag=armrumser-20

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Feck all there about footy poor seagull, must be the only straight copper in Bankrupt and Hove!

5. Maybe Jim Leavitt of USF could start his own hot-line for troubled NCAA coaches seeking advice on how to build a decent football program from scratch.

6. I suspect that Army and Air Force will have a better time in the future, mainly because Paul Johnson has left as head coach at Navy and moved on to Georgia Tech. :(
    Prior to Johnson's arrival, the Midshipmen had never appeared in more than two consecutive bowl games. Johnson was 45-29 in 6 years as head coach of Navy, and 43-19 over his last five years. He was 11-1 against Army and Air Force. The Midshipmen have also captured five straight Commander-In-Chief's Trophies as winners of the annual round-robin scheduling between Navy, Army and Air Force.
    One suggestion: Book your hotel room early if you are planning on attending. Philly tends to sell out for the game, with all the media and other types coming in.