The origins of PC

I dont know where the P.C 'movement' came from - but wish to f**k it would go back there again..... :D

Havent had time to read the article/link you posted, but have bookmarked it & will wade through it in a bit.

cheers,

Hmmm totalitarian liberalism, interesting.

An American reinventing P.C as communism, that will go down well with the far right,

maybe the sprit of McCarthy lives on.

That article is polemical rubbish. There are big problems with it - good for bringing into discussion in a pub or with a London cabbie, bad for understanding social history.

Though no fan of Political Correctness - in any way - I do think that article is just utter tripe. Be wary of it.

Have just read the article/paper .. whatever.

I was disappointed. Here, I thought, might be something with a bit of authority, something to explain where this modern curse is coming from.

Sadly not.

The author is simply spouting off his opinions as fact.
He does not follow the usual conventions of paper writing. There are no references to the works that he quotes from and there are sweeping generalisations with no evidence to back them up.

If this document were left in any University staff-room, it would be briefly read, laughed at and thrown in the bin. This would then be followed by a witch hunt to find the author, who would be removed from the campus and then a big self-congratulatory staff party afterwards.

If PC is to be, at best moderated, then anyone trying to undermine its core arguements must be much more logical and less emotive.

I agree with Techtechtech's sarcasm.

I thought it was excellent.

having attended university in North America at the height of the Cold War, i can indentify almost every symptom he mentioned. some of you may say it is polemic tripe - but he is fighting policitcial bullsh*t with its own words.

PC is seriously eroding British culture and society. look at the current government and B*liars pals - Hoon, Straw, Mandelson, Hewitt, Hain, Cook - all of them are either ex-Communists or ex-Trots. you wonder where the current lot of riduclous rules and dictates are coming from!

look at the arguements on some of the other threads, rise of multi-culturism, the disappearance of any British pride or the loss of faith in the legal system.

Oh, by the way, my degree thesis was a review of Neo-marxism as defined by the America political class.

OldChap said:
That article is polemical rubbish. There are big problems with it - good for bringing into discussion in a pub or with a London cabbie, bad for understanding social history.

Though no fan of Political Correctness - in any way - I do think that article is just utter tripe. Be wary of it.
To paraphrase St Paul: "take from it that which is good". It may well be tripe, but that doesn't mean that there isn't an element of truth in it. It's particularly astute in it's polemic about Cultural Marxism and PC. Ask the question: how much of what that article says do i recognise in Tony BLiar's Britain of today?

If the author of that article wishes to be taken at all seriously, regardless of the content of political cant inherent in the document as seen, he must adhere to the conventions of academic writing. Any document must be referenced so that the evidence for his opinions can be seen.

As seen the document is worthless, regardless of its content. It is, in essence a rant, not an essay on socio-political history.

aggreeing with some or all (or none) of the content does not change it's academic worth.

Techtechtech said:
If the author of that article wishes to be taken at all seriously, regardless of the content of political cant inherent in the document as seen, he must adhere to the conventions of academic writing. Any document must be referenced so that the evidence for his opinions can be seen.
Without being pedantic, its a speech, not a written article, so the manner of his writting should be ignored.

if however, you are criticising the manner in which he has structured his arguement grammatically, then i think you are missing the point.

otherwise, his talk, which is clearly attempting to provide some backgound on the prevelance of PC Nazi attitudes in American academia, was very informative.

Plastic Yank said:
Techtechtech said:
Without being pedantic, its a speech, not a written article, so the manner of his writting should be ignored.

if however, you are criticising the manner in which he has structured his arguement grammatically, then i think you are missing the point.
quote]

Aggreed it's a speech, but:

Oh, by the way, my degree thesis was a review of Neo-marxism as defined by the America political class.
you should, aggree also that contentious issuses are exactly those that require most obvious support.

My unversity background is in science, hence the trefoil, no I would not ascribe myself any kind of grammatical credibility, but I can recognise a good conspiricy theory when I see it.

I really am unable to see a connection between a global communist conspircy and an academic ,humanites driven, narrow minded concept.

With race riots in both the US and the UK within the last 20 years I can't bring myself to aggree with the second URL's notion that we are civilised enough to live without some sort of legal protection for minorities anyway.

go here, DL it will generate as many fatuous and meaningless articles as you would wish. :roll:

http://elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/postmodern/

T3,

There is no conspiracy theory, many if not all of the examples given in both articles take place daily in N.A universities and in government run agencies.

In Canada a few years ago (during th late 80's actually) a woman wrote an interesting letter to her local rag (in Halifax on the East Coast).

In it, she basically said, Immigrants, welcome to Canada, a nation of tolerant and open-minded liberals - leave your own prejudices at the door.

She was slated - Nationally - for months, the PC brigade even tried to get her charged under race crime legislation that had, at the time, been recently brought in. It was nuts!

I would love to track this article down and try and send it to The Guardian - they be frothing at the mouth with self-righteous indignation.

Why if i was a black man in America i can call other black men N*gger, but as a white man i cannot use the word niggardly :?:

And they believed that the only way for communism to advance was to help (or force, if necessary) Western Civilization to destroy itself. How to do that? Undermine its foundations by chipping away at the rights of those annoying individuals.

One way to do that? Change their speech and thought patterns by spreading the idea that vocalizing your beliefs is disrespectful to others and must be avoided to make up for past inequities and injustices.

And call it something that sounds positive: "Political Correctness."................

But Political Correctness remains just what it was intended to be: a sophisticated and dangerous form of censorship and oppression, imposed upon the citizenry with the ultimate goal of manipulating, brainwashing and destroying our society.
I'm sorry PY but that, to me, is a call to arms 'cos 'The Reds' are coming! :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I do not doubt the veracity of what you are saying (posting) here. In fact I once had an argument with a PC guru on a plane, of all places, who told me that I should value religious 'truth', cultural 'truth' and intuitive 'truth' (he did not say what the last one was and I still have no idea) higher than scientific 'truth'. he did not see the point at all when I said 'have you noticed you are FLYING in a PLANE'

I would be wary of using these articles as an arguing point. they seem to come from (and I hesitate to say this) from the spittle flecked realm of the far right.

Plastic. You are absolutely correct. The PC movement is some scary shit and permeates Federal State and Local government at all levels here in the USA.
Ironically no one I talk to here in the USA subscribes to PC though we are all held hostage by it. It spreads insidiously, all of a sudden right is wrong and vice versa coming from who knows where eroding the First Amendment to an alarming degree.

Tech3 I'm not an alarmist seeing "Reds under every bed" I enjoy my right to freedom of speech and would defend with my life everyones right to practice it. Though the very situation put forth by the authors of the two articles brought to our attention in this thread is happening right now right here. And guess what? In Britain too.

So T3. In exercising my right to freedom of speech. I would advise you to get your head out of your arrse and take a good look around these threads and wake up to the fact that PC instigated by some of our (left wing) politicians and the people who pull their strings IS a form of social engineering and gaining momentum.

On reading that article it seems to me that if the germans had been successful in wiping out the jews and trotskies in their country, there would be no PC today.
Bloody germans again.(':D')':D')

Or to put it another way - think up a theory, find some facts to back it up, ignore those that refute it and you're away.
If that sounds like a description of the gravytrain called academia then I claim it as my theory. I'll fatten it up a bit, send if off to the Polyversity of Peckham and claim my cap and gown. (No Dellboy, I don't want to rent one for a score)

There's a confusion of two issues going on here, at least in how what I said has been received, and also in what others who have criticised the first article have said.

I fully recognise what the author describes - I don't deny that the type of things he describes do occur and are on the increase.

What I describe as 'tripe' though is his ludicrous theory on the origins of these things which we are collectively terming 'PC'. 'Cultural Marxism' is a ridiculous and misleading label for it. The origins of political correctness lie in the 'Rights Culture', the shining beacon of which is the US Constitution. Political correctness is a gross extension, even a distortion, of the great political achievement of the 18th century, not the worst political mistake of the 19th century.

What I dislike even more than superfluous PC, is the habit of using the anti-PC argument as an excuse to trot out unmitigated bigotry and hatred. Showing respect for your fellow man isn't PC, it's just decent behaviour.

If you returned from war with brain damage, would you rather be referred to as "spaz" or "nutter" or would you rather be called "mentally ill"? I wonder why is it the most vociferous opponents of PC tend to be white, healthy, heterosexual men.

Good point, well presented.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jockparamedic The NAAFI Bar 93
tattybadger Military History and Militaria 8
Fireplace The NAAFI Bar 2