The ORDER of ST LAZARUS

Discussion in 'Medals' started by General Melchett, Mar 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Medal spotters and geeks.

Can a serving Army Officer wear this medal on his uniform (even mess kit)?

Or would it be classed as walting of the lowest order?

The Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem

To me it would appear that anyone can apply to join and then buy the big shiny medal. I would like to know if it can be worn as I've seen it being done by a serving officer.

2. I thought this was going to be about folk resurrecting old posts.

3. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Wear it and you'll be treated like a leper.

4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm not an expert but I've read the rules and the short answer is no - not without permission from the Sovereign and having read the rules of why HMG might be minded to grant permission I'm pretty sure that this one falls outside the usual rule for that. Mind you he is not the only one:

thacker%2B1.jpg 172954_10150177966247774_736117773_8229283_2723044_o.jpg
    The chap on the left is HE The Baron of Fetternear, MBE GCLJ JP who appears to have seen the need to beef up his MBE with bling. Maybe the Queen gave him the OK. The chap on the right is 'Confrère' William Hackett BLJ again I don't know why he feels the need to add bling to what I think are a perfectly respectable RAF LSGC and Fire Service LSGC.

Perhaps I'm being unfair after all they are not in uniform and maybe they are only wearing them at private functions of the order but personally I think it shown disrespect to the Monarch and the Order of the British Empire, to which the good Baron is a Member, to add unauthorised gongs to it. As her is also a JP you would think that following the rules would be incumbent on him.

5. Hmmmm....I see that 'Confrère' William Hackett is wearing a 'Black & Tan' (Irish War of Independence) medal.

This name jumped out at me from the Order of St. Lazarus homepage - Lt. Col. Robert Gayre of Gayre and Nigg

There is an hilarious portrayal of Gayre in The Charge of the Right Brigade by Robert Innes-Smith.

Anyone notice anything familiar in the following link?

The International Commission on Orders of Chivalry

6. BuggerAll

Looking at other pictures of William Hackett I can see that his first medal is not the RAF LSGC but something bearing the Malta Cross. The ribbon on the other one still looks like the Fire Service Medal.
    Orleans%2B2010%2B032.jpg investiture+October+2010+038.jpg

I'm spending too much time on this. It's because I really can't stand the Catholic Church and this combination of Waltiness and Catholicism is a red rag.

7. From the introductory page to the Military & Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus as contained in the initial poster's link:

I would stress that this is a revived order, which has managed to legally re-establish itself over the years; up until quite recently there were two rival factions, and whilst it could be argued that chronologically there is a connection to and descent from the original Order of St. Lazarus of the Crusades, organisationally it was all over the place for centuries, and it is largely by accident that it managed to survive at all.

It tends to attract the sort of people for whom 'membership of the golf club' is not enough, if you know what I mean. The propensity for having photographs taken in all sort of quasi-historical get-up whilst trying to maintain a pratrician demeanour points to this order not being of the first rank; I can state with some confidence that the SMOM does not take this lot seriously. The fact that it is not wholly Catholic - which the extant historical orders have always been - is another giveaway, and indicates that this order has sought to broaden its appeal under the somewhat ill-defined 'Christian chivalry' banner - fellow ARRSErs may remember that the so-called MacCarthy Mor did this with his 'Order of the Niadh Nask'.

I reiterate my advice to avoid this organisation - even if one allows that they are a harmless lot with the best of intentions, it is not of the first rank and is clearly a magnet for social climbers. Best avoided.

8. General Melchett

Where do I sign up?

9. General Melchett

10. BuggerAll

11. Excuse me, are you St Lazarus’s Order?

Feck off, we’re the Order of St Lazarus.

12. What about the Peoples Popular Order of St Lazarus or the Popular Peoples Order of St Lazarus? We dont talk to them, splitters!!

STILTS

13. Hackett is wearing what appears to be a St John's lifesaving medal with his Fire Brigade LSM. He also appears to be totally barking. One minute a fully paid-up son of Eireann, and the next all togged up in porridge wog get up... with uilleann plumbing. Just what IS IT with with this lot? Parallel universe syndrome?

Oh... and that 'serving officer' wants gripping for cnutishness.

• Like Like x 1