The One Place to Visit in Normandy

Just finished watching the first part of Dan Snow's programme on D-day. I was wondering what would be the one place you would choose to visit there (aside from family/regimental associations)? Pointe du Hoc? The cemetery at Colville? The remains of the Mulberry at Arromanches? For me it would be Pegasus Bridge. When you see how close the glider pilots landed to the bridge it just seems such a feat of skill and training. What sticks out in your mind?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I agree about Pegasus Bridge and Arromanches - so many placesworth visiting there

I'd actually prefer to see the sites of the later breakout battles - particularly Goodwood and Epsom.

I found Omaha beach quite thought provoking with the tide out and the imposing cliffs, it really hit home just how horrific it must have been for the invasion forces. Thats a long way to move with all the wet gear on and the incoming fire and mines etc.

We only had 2 days and I made sure we visited some of the Cemeteries, to impress on my oldest that there was another side to the movies. Many brave young men, not much older than him, gave their lives for which we should be forever grateful.

Bayeux CWGC cemetery is always a must for me, and the Memorial to the Missing which is opposite. Ranville CWGC is another.

My very first visit to France way back in 1971 was when my Dad drove us down from Scotland as he said there were 2 things to see in France, Pegasus Bridge and Napoleon's Tomb. And we did. The Café Gondrée is worth seeing for all the memorabilia, and Arlette if she is around. The Museum is also on the list. I'm back there on Sunday, running the Pegasus Half Marathon, starting on the Bridge and finishing at the Caen Memorial. Could be emotional.

I found Omaha beach quite thought provoking with the tide out and the imposing cliffs, it really hit home just how horrific it must have been for the invasion forces. Thats a long way to move with all the wet gear on and the incoming fire and mines etc.

We only had 2 days and I made sure we visited some of the Cemeteries, to impress on my oldest that there was another side to the movies. Many brave young men, not much older than him, gave their lives for which we should be forever grateful.
My Boss when I was at the MOD, was at Omaha with the Yanks. Wouldn't say much except the usual, left behind on the landing craft, egg sarnies were nice etc. But when we went on a group jolly to Normandy one year, he cried his eyes out at the many tombstones in the nearby war cemeteries.
Changing the location a bit, my 'favorite' is the Paras at Arnhem, with the twins at the gate as you go in. Blub like a baby meself when i saw that. Also have a fondness for Tyne Cot from the first big bash.

R

renamed_user

Hill 112, unremarkable wheat fields, heavily fought over by British infantry and armour against waffen SS units supported by Tiger tanks. The Hill was important as it gave access to Caen. It was captured and recaptured several times. There is a restored Churchill tank as a memorial, you can walk up the track to the summit where there is garden of remberance and then you can see Caen and why it was so heavily fougth over.
Also Villers Bocage where Tiger tank ace Michael Wittman scrapped a column of Cromwell tanks and various APC's.

Mong.

They're in southern England.
I don't think anyones stupid enough to bite there GP!

Read an account of the battle for Merville gun battery and visited it when i was there. very hard to imagine the bravery of those few who took part in the battle.

Mong.

They're in southern England.
I miss that Fallschirmjager bloke who used to have your avatar. Whatever happened to him?

The new Overlord Museum (one of two opened this year) over the road from the American Cemetery is worth visiting, most of the stuff from the old museum in Falaise is in there and displayed brilliantly. The location obviouslt chosen for ...well the yankee dollar.

Overlord Museum - Normandy 44 - Omaha Beach

The other museum on the road to Ste Mere Eglise is mainly American Armour and was set up by enthusiasts. They are even offering tank rides...a bit theme park to me, but it's worth a gander. They do have an FV432 there....for cold war warriors to bore there kids to death in as they thrash around the tank course.

NORMANDY TANK MUSEUM - Musée de tanks et avions du débarquement d-day Juin 44

But nothing comes close to Pegasus Bridge & the Merville Battery.

Villers-Bocage is worth a visit, but read up well before hand...there's not much there so you need to go armed with 'Panzers in Normany' or 'Through The Lens' to work it all out.

The Azeville batterie is well worth a visit too up in the UTAH sector.

http://batteries.du.cotentin.perso.sfr.fr/azeville.htm