• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The old style field dressings

#3
For Ops, yes, though they can still be used as they havent been withdrawn.
Best kept for training where the word from Ft Blockhouse is that the old ones are to be used for training purposes until stocks have been exhausted.

All soldiers are 'entitled' to 2 FFD's and 1 CAT (tourniquet)
 
#7
Officially the brown ones are to be used for training purposes and the grey ones used for noduf cas handling, because of the built in partial tourniquet and the non stick padding. But as is already mentioned, if your arms hanging off, i'm sure a scabby blanket wrapped in a bin bag would suffice
 
#8
If we're only supposed to be using the old ones until they're 'exhausted' then I reckon my great-great grandkids will still be issued them given the dozens of boxes we've got in the stores.

I've seen a new one.
In the packet.
From a distance.

ISTR that we're supposed to return them upon leaving theatre, are we that hard up for them? Oh yeah, forgot who we work for....
 
#9
Put in a stores demand, You should get them within a fortnight. It all comes off a central medical budget, totally dependant of any MOD budget. So if you want it, and they've got it in stock, they'll give it to you. The NSN is 6510-99-332-2032 - Trauma Wound Dressing. They come in boxes of 100
 
#13
Out of curiosity, are British medics using the new HemCon/Chitoflex dressings. I understand from a (non-medic) friend recently back from Iraq that they are in use there and civilian paramedics I know indicate they are the dogs danglys to prevent hypovolemic shock in wounds such as stabbings, accidential trauma.

From what i have been told they are pricey but work very well. They are made from something like ground up shrimp shells (I know, sounds odd to me too)
 
#14
We use the new ones for training, whats the point in teaching the old one when they will encounter the new one 'for real'?

We have no problems getting the new FFDs its the CATs that are giving us the problem, we had but they went walkies!
 
#15
DavidBOC said:
Out of curiosity, are British medics using the new HemCon/Chitoflex dressings. I understand from a (non-medic) friend recently back from Iraq that they are in use there and civilian paramedics I know indicate they are the dogs danglys to prevent hypovolemic shock in wounds such as stabbings, accidential trauma.

From what i have been told they are pricey but work very well. They are made from something like ground up shrimp shells (I know, sounds odd to me too)
Yes and yes.
 
#16
accidentalscaley said:
Put in a stores demand, You should get them within a fortnight. It all comes off a central medical budget, totally dependant of any MOD budget. So if you want it, and they've got it in stock, they'll give it to you. The NSN is 6510-99-332-2032 - Trauma Wound Dressing. They come in boxes of 100
My bold. I agree with the general thrust of your post but I think you will find that M&GS IPT picks up the tab and, last itme I looked, they were part of the MOD.
 
#17
FFBox said:
We use the new ones for training, whats the point in teaching the old one when they will encounter the new one 'for real'?

We have no problems getting the new FFDs its the CATs that are giving us the problem, we had but they went walkies!
Well said.

I will have a word with my BQMS after camp.

msr
 

Latest Threads