The Oirish. Youve got to love em

#1
Still yearning for Home Rule?

Found in a hotel in Dublin:

Help us conserve our natural resources
DO YOU NEED FRESH TOWELS?
If you would like your used towels replaced, please leave them in the bath/shower. We will assume that you intend to re-use towels that are left elsewhere.
Using towels more than once saves hundreds of pounds worth of detergent and thousands of gallons of water each year.
When were Pounds replaced by Punts in Eire? And evidently not happy with the Euro?
 
#3
putteesinmyhands said:
Still yearning for Home Rule?

Found in a hotel in Dublin:

Help us conserve our natural resources
DO YOU NEED FRESH TOWELS?
If you would like your used towels replaced, please leave them in the bath/shower. We will assume that you intend to re-use towels that are left elsewhere.
Using towels more than once saves hundreds of pounds worth of detergent and thousands of gallons of water each year.
When were Pounds replaced by Punts in Eire? And evidently not happy with the Euro?
It's another bandwagon, I'm not falling for it... :D
 
#4
Well, when Eire joined the Common Market, it was said that they would gradually adopt the European principles.

They've already changed the speed limits to km/h. Next is the change to driving on the right. Surnames beginning with A and B start in January...
 
#5
Fcuking banana republic. With no bananas. And no money, either.

They'll do ANYTHING to be different to the UK. If driving upside down was a feasible option, they'd do it.

Having said that, they're all going nuts up here spending their Monopoly money on Crimbo pressies in Newry and Derry. I even saw cars with Dublin plates in Newtownabbey today - that's more than a 200 mile round trip.

Spend your money in the UK? Go on, go on go on....
 
#6
When were Pounds replaced by Punts in Eire? And evidently not happy with the Euro?
I don't live there but have travelled there at least annually for many years. To me they usually used Pound in English and Punt in Irish although Punt became a bit more common in English after they went from an L.s.d. system to a decimal system. Although you never hear Pound used for Euro in English I have heard Punt used in place of Euro in conversations in Irish.

As to the road signs, my understanding is that all the road signs were changed in one weekend. It shows as I have occasionally seen roads with "50" on one side of the road and "80" on the other. The signage was placed based on distances from a town center. I rented a house in a tiny village in Donegal. The gravel road was one car width wide, dropped off steeply with no guardrail and was marked "80kph". I cannot attach the pic as the file is too large but it was a funny sight.
 
#7
putteesinmyhands said:
Well, when Eire joined the Common Market, it was said that they would gradually adopt the European principles.

They've already changed the speed limits to km/h. Next is the change to driving on the right. Surnames beginning with A and B start in January...
And those of us who's Surnames' begin with O'MaelleorXX..??

Sparky O'Maelleor...

kayyyy!!!

(the english spelling and Gaellic pronunciation aint any easier for us fella)
 
#8
Sparky2339 said:
And those of us who's Surnames' begin with O'MaelleorXX..??
You'll begin when there's less traffic on the road. :)
 
#9
The Treacherous Sons of Rome will do anything to be different from us. Driving upside down? Do the Brits do it? No? Then we will.

I'm glad I live in the only county of NI that doesn't have a border with this race of tinkers.
 
#10
putteesinmyhands said:
Sparky2339 said:
And those of us who's Surnames' begin with O'MaelleorXX..??
You'll begin when there's less traffic on the road. :)
You and Sauce Doctor made me laff!!

And when yer stuck behind a tourist "wagon" {i.e. volkswagen in it's purest sense - dinny mention U-boots - horse drawn carriage withoot a modern (petrol injun) engine [hay in - shoite oot]}....

Ye canny beat yon pace of life...

Why be ina hurrry tae yer death?? We'll aw get there one day!!! :D Enjoy life while ye can.

And by that I mean; the births, christenin's, engagements, marriages and deaths of those we know...

Chill FFS!!! :D QWe're a long time deed (pinched fi the Japs)
 
#11
I think everyone I know from down south still talks about 'quid' even though they're referring to Euro. Haven't heard the formal 'pound' in a while though. Although I don't think I ever heard a citizen of the Irish Republic ever talk about 'punts' when the currency was still in being, it was 'Pounds/Quid', qualified with 'Sterling' when talking about UK currency.
 
#12
"Ye canny beat yon pace of life..."?

'kin 'ell! Any slower and you'd be Welsh!

And what's the point of the Welsh, anyway?

Now that there's no coal and no steel, would anybody miss them?

OK, it's probably PC that we keep the Welsh (Welch?) Guards, but can't they recruit enough from within the MQs?

While I think on, you could do the same with the Scots. Mustn't be racist, after all.
 
#13
putteesinmyhands said:
"Ye canny beat yon pace of life..."?

'kin 'ell! Any slower and you'd be Welsh!

And what's the point of the Welsh, anyway?

Now that there's no coal and no steel, would anybody miss them?

OK, it's probably PC that we keep the Welsh (Welch?) Guards, but can't they recruit enough from within the MQs?

While I think on, you could do the same with the Scots. Mustn't be racist, after all.
Cheers Puttees!!!

Excellent Reply!!!

As a Jock/Oirish (oh how my parents/grandparents disown me) I loiked yer post..

I'm jus glad i wasny born welCH nor henGlish..

lmao neebor (neighbour in Fife-iestan)

Gid oan ye!!!
 
#14
DavidBOC said:
I have occasionally seen roads with "50" on one side of the road and "80" on the other.
Irish statute...

The 50 is the mimimum speed you have to be travelling at before a Masey Ferguson is allowed to pull out from a field right in front of you towing the entire contents of the hay harvest.

The 80 is for the Dubliner overtaking in his chipped up Toyota Carina estate, on a blind bend whilst attempting to read the latest edition of 'Plant hire monthly'
 
#15
The Treacherous Sons of Rome will do anything to be different from us. Driving upside down? Do the Brits do it? No? Then we will.
Yes you already said that a few posts back. You already said that a few posts back. It's annoying when people repeat pointless sentences isn't it?

I'm glad I live in the only county of NI that doesn't have a border with this race of tinkers.
And I'm glad 99.9% of the population are more intelligent than you. Now take your michael stone placard and exeunt stage left biggot.
 
#16
popado said:
The Treacherous Sons of Rome will do anything to be different from us. Driving upside down? Do the Brits do it? No? Then we will.
Yes you already said that a few posts back. You already said that a few posts back. It's annoying when people repeat pointless sentences isn't it?

I'm glad I live in the only county of NI that doesn't have a border with this race of tinkers.
And I'm glad 99.9% of the population are more intelligent than you. Now take your michael stone placard and exeunt stage left biggot.
I would like to start a campaign for that description to be changed to 'littlot'. There is nothing big or clever about arbitrary hatred.
 
#18
JRHartley said:
DavidBOC said:
I have occasionally seen roads with "50" on one side of the road and "80" on the other.
Irish statute...

The 50 is the mimimum speed you have to be travelling at before a Masey Ferguson is allowed to pull out from a field right in front of you towing the entire contents of the hay harvest.

The 80 is for the Dubliner overtaking in his chipped up Toyota Carina estate, on a blind bend whilst attempting to read the latest edition of 'Plant hire monthly'
It sort of goes with the behavior of sheep. As you drive in very rural areas stray sheep seem to intentionaly run in front of you. For the longest time I thought clinical depression was widespread among Irish sheep and they were trying to end it all. I used to wonder if a little Zoloft in the feed would help.

Last summer I fugured it out. I am usually there in summer when the spring lambs are nearly full size. I noticed that the sheep running in front of me were a bit smaller. I think the young sheep grazing by the road notice a car coming and in their wee sheep brains think "Oh shite, a car coming, better get next to mom" and then dash across the road. I have not killed one yet but have come close.
 
#19
Still yearning for Home Rule?

Found in a hotel in Dublin:


Quote:
Help us conserve our natural resources
DO YOU NEED FRESH TOWELS?
If you would like your used towels replaced, please leave them in the bath/shower. We will assume that you intend to re-use towels that are left elsewhere.
Using towels more than once saves hundreds of pounds worth of detergent and thousands of gallons of water each year.

When were Pounds replaced by Punts in Eire? And evidently not happy with the Euro?


ha ha thats so funny- Puttees - its a classic

speaking of classics- does your mother still appear in those donkey porn films

I know the donkeys objected to the smell of her breath but hey thats probably from the watersport film

she had just made-

isnt humour a great thing

do you still love us Oirish-

you prick
 
#20
Fcuking banana republic. With no bananas. And no money, either.

They'll do ANYTHING to be different to the UK. If driving upside down was a feasible option, they'd do it.



What is your reason for the above- were you actually trying to be funny or is there some deep seated

resentment- if so why not just have the balls to come out with it.
 

Similar threads

Top