The official proper geek thread

@jellyvodka suggested a proper geek thread, and @greenbaggyskin claims to be the Daddy nerd.

So here it is.

Personally, I just like "making it work". Mick Watling, for those that know him, took me under his wing. Thank God. I will never know as much as Mick, he lived radio like some live beer & women - hey, it's a geek thread :), but Mick's interest was just in making it work. The Master influenced me greatly.

On my T3, Mick pushed out a photocopy of an FM transmitter circuit, and those of us who were interested, made one. Tiny little thing, but it worked.

As a kid, I'd had a BBC Micro. 6502 Assembler. Got an O Level in Control Technology, using the User Port to control electronic circuits, motors etc. Did the Computer Science O Level on my own, you couldn't do both at school.

On my T1, microprocessor module, Z80 processors. Not all that different. Had my project working in a couple afternoons. Read in two punched paper tapes, note the discrepancy between them and print it out on a dot matrix printer. Easy peasy. If you can make it do that in 2K of RAM :)

One day the FofS dropped a pair of BID 950s on my bench and said "Make those work over VHF". So I did. VHF RATT.

As a radio tech, I knew almost nothing of SCRA, but the Regt FofS had six broken SCRA(C)s, and a good tech. "Cpl R - make as many work as you can". 4 out of 6. Quite happy with that. The other 2 were BER though :)

Left the mob, started in civvy telecom. We had one project which had 15 sites, three servers each. These servers were to be plugged up at HQ, and then shipped out. 45 Servers draw quite a bit of current if you fire them up all at once. So much that the mains crapped out. I developed a series of scripts that sequenced the start-up. So it all worked.

Did another project with BT protocol conformance. They fired in all kinds of weird information elements in the signaling messages, which were the most obscure edge-cases, but we had to be compliant. I developed a script that captured the signaling messages in and out of our box (as reported by our box), a protocol analyzer capture of both, and the internal logfile and then ftp'd it to HQ for analysis. We had the answer before BT did.

I just like making telecoms and electronics work. It's all I've ever done. I don't claim to be the Uber-Daddy, I don't think that's possible in everything, but by fcuk I'll die trying :)

I'm a Scaley and my piss is Corps coloured. Certa Cito.

@jellyvodka @greenbaggyskin @jimmys_best_mate @GrumpyWasTooCheerful @Equinox

Front and centre, report.

Last edited:
As a kid, I'd had a BBC Micro.
We had one of them in primary school, on a trolley that lived in the little library. I seem to remember there was a program where you could program a robot (that looked like one of those automatic vacuums you can get now, from memory, except it was probably about the size of a Ford Sierra given that it was the mid/late 80s) and it would move round in the programmed directions which seemed like magic to a 7 year old.

We had one of them in primary school, on a trolley that lived in the little library. I seem to remember there was a program where you could program a robot (that looked like one of those automatic vacuums you can get now, from memory, except it was probably about the size of a Ford Sierra given that it was the mid/late 80s) and it would move round in the programmed directions which seemed like magic to a 7 year old.
I remember that. Ours had a hole in the middle, or an attachment that a pen went in; we would tape paper across the whole floor and program it to draw stuff from it’s movements.