The official BBC complaints thread.

Dread

LE
Ah! I hadn’t considered that.
On the outskirts of Cardiff there’s ‘Pear Tree Depot- Depo Pear Tree’, so that wasn’t an isolated incident.
Despite being Welsh, it just strikes me as a big waste of money and resources.
The Pear Trees: a well known family related to the Pine-Coffin family of Parachute Regiment fame. ;)

Issi

LE
Is that like the rugby player Billy Twelvetrees, who I was very disappointed to find, wasn’t Native American but is in fact from Chichester.

oldnotbold

War Hero
...and then there was the council a few years back which sent its text for translation but mistook the translator's out of office message (in Welsh) for the answer. The notices for whatever it was were duly printed with a welsh text on the lines of "Sorry but I will be away until Thursday. I will deal with your request on my return".

This chap has decided to row the Atlantic single handed.
Good on him - hope he succeeds.

BBC report it as ' navigating by the stars' so we are led to believe sextant, astronomical Tables and maybe charts to finish it off.

Watch it all but from 0.20 onwards its all Raytheon

Ex-SAS soldier from Hereford set for solo row across Atlantic

( OK it is possible he is only using Chart data and there is no Nav data coming in from above deck ) personally I think it lightweight of him not to pop down to Imray and buy some fecking Charts )

This chap has decided to row the Atlantic single handed.
Good on him - hope he succeeds.

BBC report it as ' navigating by the stars' so we are led to believe sextant, astronomical Tables and maybe charts to finish it off.

Watch it all but from 0.20 onwards its all Raytheon

Ex-SAS soldier from Hereford set for solo row across Atlantic

( OK it is possible he is only using Chart data and there is no Nav data coming in from above deck ) personally I think it lightweight of him not to pop down to Imray and buy some fecking Charts )
So what's your complaint about the BBC?

So what's your complaint about the BBC?

The ' Navigating by the stars bit' of reporting.

Any Journo worth his salt ( see what I did there ) would have spotted that bit of kit - maybe thought it a bit inappropriate for the nav by stars bit .......

Or maybe he is from the ' Its green so its a tank ' school of reporting.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
After the 'record numbers' of complaints over the announcement of The Duke of Edinburgh's death and subsequent funeral, there is a delicious irony in the (most likely) same complainers whining about lack of St. Georges day coverage, featuring lots of flags, lobster-chested drunk over-the-hill skinheads and ginger children with tattoos....

After the 'record numbers' of complaints over the announcement of The Duke of Edinburgh's death and subsequent funeral, there is a delicious irony in the (most likely) same complainers whining about lack of St. Georges day coverage, featuring lots of flags, lobster-chested drunk over-the-hill skinheads and ginger children with tattoos....
I thought they gave it about the same amount of coverage they do to St Guinness and St Kilt - none.

Any Journo worth his salt ( see what I did there ) would have spotted that bit of kit - maybe thought it a bit inappropriate for the nav by stars bit .......

But that’s the opposite of my personal problem with their journalism. They seem to like to turn every ‘and finally’ item into a piercing political interview. Nobody cares how he’s navigating apart from pedants, and ‘by the stars’ sounds more exciting to the average couch dweller.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Three things:

A lot of reporters now ain’t that good. They’re ignorant and too arrogant to do the job and ask.

They think they’re brighter/superior to the people they’re talking to, so if they can’t grasp it the viewers won’t.

They belong to a school of journalism which fights shy of actually taxing the viewers’ knowledge.

So, you get patronising dross.

Three things:

A lot of reporters now ain’t that good. They’re ignorant and too arrogant to do the job and ask.

They think they’re brighter/superior to the people they’re talking to, so if they can’t grasp it the viewers won’t.

They belong to a school of journalism which fights shy of actually taxing the viewers’ knowledge.

So, you get patronising dross.
Isn't only Journalism but every programme seems to have been dumbed down to the nth degree, being reminded every 2 minutes of what has gone on, having basic maths worked out for you , documentaries are a nightmare for this, everything is number of swimming pools, or size of number of buses...the list goes on.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Isn't only Journalism but every programme seems to have been dumbed down to the nth degree, being reminded every 2 minutes of what has gone on, having basic maths worked out for you , documentaries are a nightmare for this, everything is number of swimming pools, or size of number of buses...the list goes on.
No documentary complete without jingly background music...

I was out walking on Leith Hill near Dorking a couple of summers back. There’s a tower and refreshments shop at the top. Up rock half a dozen blokes on mountain bikes who start braying on, needlessly loudly, to each other about how they’re in television. Totally took over the place.

Everyone else there was left as convinced of their lack of talent as they were convinced of their surplus.

Utter knobs.

Latest Threads