The Official ARRSE Guide to the British Army by Major Des Astor

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Auld-Yin, Nov 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The must-have book of the year! First edition selling out rapidly (or would do if Amazon got their stock sorted!). This may be your only chance of getting your grubby paws on this fine, upstanding, academically acclaimed, thought-provoking and seminal book (a cheque would be fine Major DA).

To get your copy, just go to the Survey Monkey entry form and complete the simple questions.

The book has been reviewed by Captain Crusty and that can be found here. There is no truth in the rumour that Captain C is using this as his thesis for his promotion exams (again!).
    ARRSE.jpg

The competition will run until Sunday 26[SUP]th[/SUP] November around mid-day and there are 5 copies kindly donated by Major Des Astor and Transworld Publishers.

2. HHH

HHH LE

Entered
    Hope my answers don't become a disaster for me.

3. Entered also.

The survey says the review gave it 5, but actually the review says 4 wee icon thingys that I can't say the name of because it is an answer :)

Do I get extra marks for observation?

4. HHH

HHH LE

Yes you do, you are the champion of this competition !! :nod:

5. Auld-Yin

I apologise most prousely to Boozy for saying the book got 5 stars rather than 4 by the reviewer. Am I bovvered? No!

Anyway, I know lots of you have bought/ordered your personal copy but here is the chance to win one to give as a Christmas pressie. In fact the book is so versitile you can give it to the person you most like and admire, or equally you can give to the biggest tosser you know (but are required to give a pressie) with the relevant passage highlighted!

Very few people have taken up the challenge for this book, so come on, let's have a bit more interest. Have a bit of fun answering some simple questions and, who knows, you may become the owner of two copies if you win one prize. It may arrive before your Amazon ordered copy as well as these will come direct from the publisher.

Competition runs until next Sunday.

6. Entered too. Thanks A-Y :)

7. Without giving the answer away*, the charity question, well 25% are not going to a charity, but to a "Non Profit Community Organisation"

*Much

8. Bugger! Think I got that answer wrong. Never mind, I'm buying the book anyway and hope the "non profit community organisation" is able to make someone's life a bit better.

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Done.

I'm impressed by the good Major's hobbies. Bricklaying and Canasta. Quite a dichotomy there.

10. Auld-Yin

The winners are:

Denzh
    Boozy
    SgtPpperband
    Cutaway
    Gubmint Agent

I will be emailing each of them for their name and address to get the books sent out.

Answers are

Q1 The Loamshire Regiment

Q2 Holidays for Heroes (which as has been pointed out is not a charity but is indeed a not-for-profit-company.)

Q3 Mr Mushroom Head - Not Mr Potato Head who was made redundant some time ago, an early SDSR victim (very early!)

11. Excellent , yay :) I never win anything usually!

Email inbound.

12. Email sent. Thanks!

13. Auld-Yin

Still waiting for Cutaway, if anyone sees him give him a nudge.

Cuts - send me your details please - if you don't have my email check your spam folder.

14. My book arrived about 5minutes ago :) many thanks.